ZombieVerter VCU Support

dadiowe

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by dadiowe »

Big day for me yesterday. I actually managed to get my GS450h Gearbox, fitted in a BMW Z4, to run in forward and reverse.

Big thanks to Damien and countless others on the forum who have got me this far.

Observations from Yesterday,

It seems that if I had regen (2) selected in the software the gearbox does not respond to throttle in forward or reverse. But programing regen (0) and restarting the VCU allowed the gearbox to respond to throttle input in forward and reverse.

If you can get an original loom for the gearbox and inverter it will save a lot of time and trauma.

I did not get the 12v side gearbox loom or connector to the inverter so building a loom and getting the terminals crimped was a nightmare. My main problem with crimping terminals was the saddle was crushing the wire, insulation and the waterproof gland to tightly and weakening the wire connection.
I did use the suggested socket and terminals to modify the Inverter multiway connector but it seems that the terminals for the plug are in short supply.
Ebay has a number of these socket kits with terminals such as, eBay item number:255517130696.
This tool again on ebay, eBay item number:282054260741 seems to be the most cost effective way of crimping terminals as you crimp the wire area and the saddle area seperately allowing for more acurate crimping. The ebay shop, JFB Spares, also sells some Sumitamo connectors.

Auto-click seem to have put minimum quantities of 10 on sockets and 100 on terminals on their website. I did try to contact them by phone to find out if I could place an order for lower quantities but spent hours queing without talking to anyone.

The oil pump, despite having new bearings fitted is quite noisy at 50% PWM but 30% is better, not sure how quiet a good one should be.
The Gearbox seems to be noisy in operation as well. I have listened to Damiens earlier video when he first locked up the MG1 and ran the gearbox but I am not certain if my unit sounds better or worse, so I am looking forward to Damien's new video on the GS450h with Zombieverter to compare sounds.

Moving forward, will the canbus for the BMW E46 or E39 be compatable with the Z4 2004 Vehicle Canbus?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm not surprised regen doesnt work with the 450h. Quite a few people messed about with it and I don't have a good way to test as yet but watch this space:) Agreed on the oil pump. Mine sounds like a bag of hammers at 50% but I found at least on the bench that 30% provides plenty of pressure with less racket. I do recall from the E65 that once the car gets moving you won't hear the pump over tyre and wind noise. The video is in progress. Had a few distractions this week but eta weekend with a bit of luck. Regards the Z4 can I have no experience but the E46 was around at that time so might just work.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

I made a small amount of progress today. My board arrived back at lunchtime and I got the web interface up and running. I don't think what I found really counts as a bug but other may find it useful to know that I couldn't get the web interface to display fully on my old iPad mini 2 (iOS 12.5.6). Most of the page displayed but the tables for the parameters and spot values were missing. It worked first time on my even older desktop Mac (OS10.8.2) but I don't want to drag that into the barn! So I tried my positively ancient G4 PowerBook (OSX 10.5.8) and, after updating JavaScript, it worked. I downloaded and installed Damien's latest software and was able to start setting the parameters. So the PowerBook comes out of retirement and I hope to do some more on Sunday.

If I wasn’t spending so much on car parts I’d buy a new tablet!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I doubt the problem is your end. more like those stupid olimex wifi modules. Keep us posted:)
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Dumb guy question, what is the definition here of a "Cold Start" versus a "Hot Start"? Being a big block V8 guy my perspective on those terms I think are quite different. Thanks!
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Cold start = vcu 12v power off then on then start. Hot start = just hit start. Sorry my bad:)
evMacGyver

Post by evMacGyver »

Is Chevy Ampera/Volt heater confirmed to work with ZombieVerter? Does anyone have response messages from the heater while its heating?
I just got problem with my heater viewtopic.php?t=2665
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Considering it was keeping me warm in the E46 this morning I would say yes:)
evMacGyver

Post by evMacGyver »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:10 pm Considering it was keeping me warm in the E46 this morning I would say yes:)
Thank you for confirmation, I kind of knew it and needed to order different heater.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Did some more troubleshooting and testing this weekend on the Zombie and GS450H setup (after watching the new GS450H video that will be releasing soon). Spinning is still elusive but will find that issue yet!

Inverter to Zombie comms is my issue, everything else seems spot on. So I took the VCU and spent some time tracing and checking continuity from each of the four comms IC's to the header pins, checked their ground and VCC pins, orientation of the chips, continuity between the chips and the stm32. I disconnected the Tee'd in GS450H VCU and checked the twisted pair comms wiring between the VCU header and the Inverter plug. With the VCU connected to the inverter and nothing powered up, I get 61.2 ohms between each comms pair...so I'm happy the wiring is correct and in working order.

There was something bugging me about other's testing working with the E65 over CAN so I wanted to try that. Have an Arduino sketch mimicking the E65 T15 and gear CAN messages, so connected this to the Zombie and selected E65 as vehicle. As before, pre-charge and contactors work as expected. Not conclusive but in the few tests I tried, I was sure the inverter whine started when the negative and pre-charge contactors closed, but as soon as the positive contactor closed, it stopped. I tried to capture this on screenshots (shown below, before T15 and after T15 during pre-charge) but after a few attempts it didn't seem to happen any more

The only thing I can think at this stage is that one or more of the comms IC's is not functioning correctly (how would I verify that?), or is it possible there are safety shut down parameters that in my setup for some reason just shut down the inverter/comms thinking there is an issue (for example if a temp is reading a neg or too high; TMPM = -27deg)?

190922_VCU_001.JPG
190922_VCU_002.JPG
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

AdrianB wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:52 pm I made a small amount of progress today. My board arrived back at lunchtime and I got the web interface up and running. I don't think what I found really counts as a bug but other may find it useful to know that I couldn't get the web interface to display fully on my old iPad mini 2 (iOS 12.5.6). Most of the page displayed but the tables for the parameters and spot values were missing. It worked first time on my even older desktop Mac (OS10.8.2) but I don't want to drag that into the barn! So I tried my positively ancient G4 PowerBook (OSX 10.5.8) and, after updating JavaScript, it worked. I downloaded and installed Damien's latest software and was able to start setting the parameters. So the PowerBook comes out of retirement and I hope to do some more on Sunday.
I need to make a bit of a correction to this in case it misleads anyone. As Damien suggested what I took to be problems with my different devices was actually the WiFi module being temperamental. I’ve now had it working across all my kit, just not consistently. There are two things that *appear* to help. Rebooting the VCU - as per Damien’s video - and using the full web address to the web interface page which is: 192.168.4.1/index.html
asavage

Post by asavage »

AdrianB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:04 pm I need to make a bit of a correction to this in case it misleads anyone.
On this forum, you're able to edit your old posts for a looong time. You might consider using strikeout on bits of your 15Sep post, and/or putting a pointer to the addendum post within your old post.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As I've mentioned in other threads the two most recent batches of Olimex ESP8266 wifi modules I have received are terrible. I'm getting over 50% failure at programming stage. Yesterday I had to program 6 modules to get two that would work and I'm observing a number of folks here on forum with issues programming over wifi and accessing the web interface. To that end I have been experimenting with a new module that seems to be much better and have designed a little adapter board to allow it to be used on existing designs without modification. Once the prototypes arrive I will do some more testing and give an update.
Attachments
2022-09-13 11.29.58.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Jonr

Post by Jonr »

It seems I've "Bricked" my ZombieVerter !

I have a GS450h transmission and inverter (no shunt) on the bench and powered by a 20V 5A bench power supply. Using a firmware version I compiled from last March, it works fine within the power limitations with a 10k pot as throttle. - all very smooth.

I loaded the latest version (1.01) of the firmware via the onboard web front end and set the parameter settings to those that previously worked.

The first thing I noticed is the motor spindle oscillate a few degrees for a few moments when the ignition is applied, which it didn't on the earlier version. Also, I found the throttle had to be wound up much higher to get the motor spindle to move and when it did, it was a shaky rather than smooth start. At the same time, the PSU voltage was dragged down from 20V to 11V and current went to the max, but the motor didn't run smoothly.

I then went to reload the earlier working firmware version and the upload froze at 90%.

After power cycling the board, the little red led flashes but the web interface refuses to populate the form (just titles and no parameters) and the board is no longer activating relays/running the motor.

I now have a truly Zombie-ed ZombieVerter - Can anyone suggest how to bring the board back to life ?
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
paaa

Post by paaa »

try st link cable and just load firmware again , good chance the vci is fine just the wifi module is causing issues.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

As I explained in the 3 video series linked on the VCU wiki page, a firmware lockup on upload does not equal a "bricked" vcu. Just power cycle the board and reupload as the bootloader is still running regardless of what firmware is in use on the device.

To reiterate, the released firmware has been bench tested AND car tested on 450h systems. I'm in the process of swapping my bench 450h system into the E39 for even MORE testing.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 am As I've mentioned in other threads the two most recent batches of Olimex ESP8266 wifi modules I have received are terrible. I'm getting over 50% failure at programming stage. Yesterday I had to program 6 modules to get two that would work and I'm observing a number of folks here on forum with issues programming over wifi and accessing the web interface. To that end I have been experimenting with a new module that seems to be much better and have designed a little adapter board to allow it to be used on existing designs without modification. Once the prototypes arrive I will do some more testing and give an update.
I just saw your photo here...
I would suggest you to simply wrap insulating tape around the ESP and slot it within your casing. That may prevent any unwanted contact with some power pins.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Received today the first batch of VCU board with STM32 and most other parts fitted. Been a long time:) Also Wemos wifi adapter boards received and tested working. Once current batch of Olimex modules are exhausted (and with 50% going in the bin it wont take long!) all kits will ship with Wemos modules and adapter board. We'll give it a few months to bed in then I'll do a design rev to mount the wemos on the pcb directly.
Attachments
2022-09-21 15.02.31.jpg
2022-09-21 15.21.09.jpg
2022-09-21 15.21.14.jpg
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Does the VCU use the volt and amp measurements from the shunt during operation of GS450H to control the transmission, or just during startup? I am using the contactor assembly(normally mounted on the front of the battery pack) from the gen 2 Volt battery pack for my HV relays, and would like to use the HV output connections for power steering and A/C. Right now I have the shunt mounted to the negative HV input of the assembly. The A/C and power steering outputs are on the positive HV outputs, so any power they use would be measured by the shunt. The assembly also has a contactor for the Gen 2 charger and DC/DC converter I plan to use.
Thanks
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Another question.
After moving the setup from the bench to the car, I'm not showing HV to the inverter. I still need to do more diagnosis for that.
While trying to get my inverter to power up today(showing no inverter UDC) I noticed that with the run switch off, the gear position showed neutral most of the time, even though the switch was in forward. When I hit the start and got power through the relays, the display showed solid forward. Not sure what that could be, thinking bad ground?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The shunt readings are constantly monitored regardless of the drivetrain or vehicle in use. Direction changes to neutral by default in off mode.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am The shunt readings are constantly monitored regardless of the drivetrain or vehicle in use. Direction changes to neutral by default in off mode.
Monitored, yes, but what affect would it have on drivetrain operation if the A/C and power steering was pulling amps through the shunt as opposed to the power being drawn straight from the batteries before the shunt?

I did not see the mode changing while the direction was changing, but that gives me a better idea of where to look for the problem.
Thanks
Jonr

Post by Jonr »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:50 am As I explained in the 3 video series linked on the VCU wiki page, a firmware lockup on upload does not equal a "bricked" vcu. Just power cycle the board and reupload as the bootloader is still running regardless of what firmware is in use on the device.

To reiterate, the released firmware has been bench tested AND car tested on 450h systems. I'm in the process of swapping my bench 450h system into the E39 for even MORE testing.
Thanks for that. After hours of trying, the wifi connection to the "inverter" SSID finally stayed up long enough to allow me to load a working prior version. Once done, the wifi access stabilised and the motor behaviour reverted to the smooth operation - all good.

The question I wanted to get to is with regard to the relays/contactors. Following the start sequence of:-

1) Power on
2) Ignition on
3) press start

At what point should each relay/contactor be energised?

I'm guessing that on power on, they are all closed
At ignition on, the negative contactor, precharge and inverter power relays/contactors all activate
At "engine start", the positive contactor is activated and the precharge contactor opens.

Is the above correct?? - The problem is that on my system, when ignition is enabled, no relays/contactor are engergised
But, when the "engine start" is pressed, all relays/contactors are enabled at once.... that seems a little wrong !

Can someone enlighten me to the expected behaviour?
Project : GS450h into BMW 3 Series Touring?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jonr wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:47 pm Is the above correct?? - The problem is that on my system, when ignition is enabled, no relays/contactor are engergised
But, when the "engine start" is pressed, all relays/contactors are enabled at once.... that seems a little wrong !

Can someone enlighten me to the expected behaviour?
When you apply start signal, the negative and pre-charge contactors will close allowing the pre-charge. You will hold the start signal 'on' and once the pre-charge voltage has reached your settings (udcsw in the web interface), the positive contactor will close and the start signal can be disconnected. All three (neg, pre-c, pos) stay on then. Inverter power relay comes on at 'Ignition On' before start signal.

If all three contactors come on when you apply start, ensure your udcsw isn't set too low in relation to your HV. See the wiki for info on setting these.