ZombieVerter VCU Support

Bigpie

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by Bigpie »

Which information are you using to wire up? The resolver connection doesn't go to the Zombie Board, the inverter will want that.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Beemer

Post by Beemer »

Using zombieverter vcu v1 build part 2. Sorry meant to say data cables Attached to inverter.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

The stm32 is clearly unwell. Without showing clearly what was connected where no one will be able to say what you've done wrong. You might get lucky and replacing the stm32 might be the only dead component
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

You can do a power up test without connecting anything except the 12v+ and ground. It’s best to use a bench power supply rather than a 12v battery for testing. With the power supply you can limit the current, then if something is wrong it won’t do as much damage.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:11 pm No its not finished yet. When it is there will be videos and forum post and any problems with the vcu will be reported and solved. Most likely by me. I'm a team of one on this and many other projects.
Sorry to be a pain and I understand that you have a number of "irons" in the fire. As I said I can't view the "Improved zombie" of October 28th video despite being a patreon so I do not know where things stand. I also note that the VW charger video has appeared on Youtube despite it being made after the mystery video.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Its not a video its a picture.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Beemer wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:03 pm Hi guys, new to the forum. Have recently purchased the zombieverter vcu from Damien and had it assembled as per video but still have to fit IC 10 as not supplied in the kit. After connecting the resolver cables and doing a basic power check using 12v volt battery the micro controller IC 8 started giving off smoke signals so I quickly disconnected. Where have I gone wrong.20221106_204748.jpg
I am using the lexus 300h and inverter.
Thats super weird. As i mentioned on the email I power test every board and in fact have to apply power in order to load the software. Even connecting the 12v in reverse would not cause this sort of a failure. I'm happy to replace a board foc if its a manufacture or design flaw but sadly this looks like power or some other signal may have been applied to the wrong pin or pins. We'll sort something out and get you a replacement or a repair but I'd rather know the cause least it happen to anyone else. e.g. have I misdescribed or mislabeled a pin in the wiki videos etc.
Beemer

Post by Beemer »

Connections as per wiki for vcu
Pin 55 ground
Pin 56 +12v
Pin 16 REQ-
Pin 17 REQ+
Pin 18 CLK-
Pin 19 CLK+
Pin 20 MTH-
PIN 21 MTH+
PIN 22 HTM-
PIN 23 HTM+
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Maybe photos of the Zombie connector and the inverter connector annotated with the signal would help also, incase those aren't correct
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Also do a dc volts check between ground and your inverter signals in case the inverter is bad and killed the vcu. I recently helped a customer with a 6 month problem that we ultimately chased down to a water damaged inverter. He'll update the thread with details himself.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:36 am Its not a video its a picture.
Sorry Damien but whatever it is I cant see it. I saw the title and stupidly assumed the item was an update on your progress. My apolgies
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

zombiepuff.jpg
So I had an incedent with my GS450 inverter and Zombieverter. This was entirely due to myself and not the kit.
Not as bad as Damiens Panzer troubles but expensive just the same.
It seems that the capacitor dishcharge resistor inside the GS450 inverter was blown and so the inverter would not discharge even after a day. This indirectly led to me accidentaly shorting my HV sense wire to the Shunt because the inverter was still full of HV. the result was a blown shunt and a blown Thunderstruck master BMS. Having replaced these units I now find that the zombieverter, IC 11 XL1509-5.0e1, has expired. see top of picture.

Unfortunately I am not an electronics person and do not have the skills to check out the ECU and it seems that there are no XL1509-5.0e1's in the uk. Does anyone know where I might get one and also someone who could fit it and check the Zombieverter for me.

Thanks
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Beemer

Post by Beemer »

It is difficult to see detail in the photos as transmission + inverter are placed in a tesco shopping trolley.
Attachments
20221107_200523.jpg
20221107_202250.jpg
20221107_202401.jpg
20221107_202644.jpg
20221107_202755.jpg
20221107_202824.jpg
20221107_202923.jpg
20221107_202952.jpg
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Thanks Damien hopefully nothing else is blown :D
asavage

Post by asavage »

If you're not able to use all-unique wire jacket colors (usually not an option; OEMs use stripes/bars to double the available options), then I recommend using wiring lables at BOTH ENDS of each wire for at least the fabrication stage. Numbers or descriptions, your choice, but it's very easy to mis-wire harness connectors when re-using colors.

Well . . . it's not required but mis-wiring connectors is a common harness misteak, and is so easy to do that triple-checking is the baseline here. One person checks twice, and a separate person also does a single check, at a minimum. On our equipment, wiring mistakes are more expensive than just a ZV board :(
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You'll need to go back over those wires and double check and do a voltage test as I said earlier to ensure nothing is wrong in the inverter that caused the board to fail.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just to let folks know that V1a boards are now shipping with the Wemos wifi module. See the pictures here for fitting information. Can someone please add to the wiki? The Olimex header is still there for those who may prefer that option.
Attachments
2022-11-08 10.05.08.jpg
2022-11-08 10.04.56.jpg
asavage

Post by asavage »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:41 pm Can someone please add to the wiki?
AdrianB added a note with this info.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

dadiowe wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:07 pm zombiepuff.jpgSo I had an incedent with my GS450 inverter and Zombieverter. This was entirely due to myself and not the kit.
Not as bad as Damiens Panzer troubles but expensive just the same.
It seems that the capacitor dishcharge resistor inside the GS450 inverter was blown and so the inverter would not discharge even after a day. This indirectly led to me accidentaly shorting my HV sense wire to the Shunt because the inverter was still full of HV. the result was a blown shunt and a blown Thunderstruck master BMS. Having replaced these units I now find that the zombieverter, IC 11 XL1509-5.0e1, has expired. see top of picture.

Unfortunately I am not an electronics person and do not have the skills to check out the ECU and it seems that there are no XL1509-5.0e1's in the uk. Does anyone know where I might get one and also someone who could fit it and check the Zombieverter for me.

Thanks
If you can get a replacement ic but dont want to do the soldering and fix up that track I can do that for you
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Thanks Bigpie, that's very kind of you.

Waiting for a delivery from China at the moment so I will have a close look at everything. I did manage to assemble the Zombieverter kit, somehow, and I do have 10, IC11 coming.

The main worry is more about testing and not further damaging the board.

These are my thoughts so far,

The burned track from C29 to IC11 is 12v+, this is converted to 5V + by IC11, C20, C22 and D1, this 5v is then smoothed through L3 and goes on to power the 5V side of the board. The 12v side is split at the positive of C29 and powers the rest of the 12v needs of the board.

If IC11 was removed from the board, no tracks are shorted and the ECU was powered with 12v normal input and 5v applied to the track between D1 and L3 with 12v - and 5v - connected together should the board should come to life?

Your answer to the the above will probably determine my capabilities to repair the board or let you do it.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Not an expert but reasonably handy with soldering iron and hot air. I'd probably start by removing the IC, and just probing for shorts on the 12v, 5v and gnd like you say. Maybe then try connect with STLink or see if the serial connection is working. If there's any signs of life proceed to replace IC11 and repair the track. Someone with more expertise might have more ideas.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
et0

Post by et0 »

Damien, great to see the Zombieverter is lurching ahead! We have our GS450H vehicle which has been running around for a few months, on fairly old code, with no real problems.

But I want to update it now, the main things we are missing are:
* Working regen
* Smooth current limiting
* Settable throttle response curve

I also need to add some CANBUS messaging to work with other components on the vehicle. Firstly accepting a current limit from the BMS.

My question: Is the current code available and build-able? I know it wasn't for a spell which is why we held off and worked on other stuff. I'll resume adding to the wiki!

Thank you.
Beemer

Post by Beemer »

12v power supply to inverter without the vcu connected
20221109_203056.jpg
All data cables reading 2.5v
Attachments
20221109_203120.jpg
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

I think I have figured out just about everything before I jump into buying the Zom VCU board for the Nissan Leaf Gen 2 stack. Really it was just the ancillaries, like water pump and vacuum pump. I think that is figured out. I know there is probably some work being done for read only display or to connect it to donor vehicle gauges, such as using the pot 1 & 2, DAC, PWM pins. It appears the Zom VCU has a lot of very useful data that can be displayed in a read-only format using an Arduino display screen. If that is possible, then that would be the cats meow! :)