ZombieVerter VCU Support

Jack Bauer

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah I'm done with Olimex. The quality of those modules has dropped of a cliff.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

Does anyone have the dimensions specs for the VCU Board enclosure? The AliExpress link to purchase them doesn't give dimension specs that I could find. (length, width, depth) or the dimensions between the mounting holes and etc.

I'll probably purchase one soon, but doing some preliminary prep and seeing if the enclosure will fit inside the original vehicle VCU enclosure. No hurry, but if anyone has one that is accessible that could do a quick measurement, that would be awesome. Thanks, :D
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

FieroJam wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:03 pm Does anyone have the dimensions specs for the VCU Board enclosure?
I’ve just measured mine. Max dims for the enclosure are 185x140x37mm. Mounting hole centres are 170mm. Dims for the connector are 155x55x30mm. I don’t have my VCU fully assembled so can’t tell how closely the connector fits to the enclosure. Hope that helps.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

This may help.
Attachments
Jo56-1.pdf
(41.9 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
DJ7056-1.5-11.pdf
(174.64 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am This may help.
Fantastic. Thank you for finding that and sharing. :)

Also thank you AdrianB for it too!
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

I have a Prius gear selector that I'm curious could be utilize for gear selection on the ZombieVerter? This is to drive a Nissan Leaf stack.

As I watched the ZV videos, the Forward and Reverse are triggered by 12v signals. Could it theoretically be programmed to be triggered by 5V hall effect signals?
Attachments
Prius Shift Sensor.jpg
HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM Lever.pdf
(479.56 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

To do so would require hardware changes.
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:19 am To do so would require hardware changes.
I sort of figured. Back to the drawing board, although I've seen a couple of DNR gear selectors (round selector and push button) on Alibaba that are 12v.

Choosing a gear selector is next on my list to-do.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just to advise that due to the complete fall off in quality on the Olimex WiFi modules all kits and boards will now be supplied with a Wemos D1 Mini module and adapter board. As of the next board order I will make the pcb dual footprint. These Wemos modules seem very much more robust than the Olimex at least in limited bench and vehicle tests.
Attachments
20221010_120003.jpg
20221010_120016.jpg
20221010_120021.jpg
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:19 am Wemos D1 Mini module and adapter board.
Are you selling these individually? I’d like to replace my Olimex as it only works very intermittently.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

AdrianB wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:34 am Are you selling these individually? I’d like to replace my Olimex as it only works very intermittently.
Like i said somewhere along here, you just need to get one D1 mini module and solder 4 wire adapter cable directly to its pins. On the other side should be at least 2 by 2 pololu female connector to simulate Olimex.
And if you by chance glue your D1 mini to zombiverter board you can still programm it via its usb port. This really solves a lot of headaches.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No real point in my selling the little adapter boards as they are super cheap. Here are the gerber files. Just pop them into JLC or any pcb maker and you'll get 5 for a few bucks. I'll be making a little video shortly on how it goes together but to be honest it's fairly foolproof.
Attachments
Plots_wemosV1.zip
(9.47 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:23 pm No real point in my selling the little adapter boards as they are super cheap. Here are the gerber files. Just pop them into JLC or any pcb maker and you'll get 5 for a few bucks. I'll be making a little video shortly on how it goes together but to be honest it's fairly foolproof.
Thanks. I’ll give it a go.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Well cr@p :? :? :?

Exciting delivery yesterday, new built Zombie arrived and cool to see the new wifi module with it. Was feeling positive this was the pot of gold, but....

Some more head scratching to do tomorrow, there's just something silly catching me out, has to be something small and silly. Wondering if anyone has any ideas for things to check!?

Get the same result as with the last Zombie, goes into run mode with no errors but no inverter whine, no InvUDC reading, InvStat stays off. Precharge and contactor sequence works spot on (60V at inverter HV input), inverter power relay ok too (12V at inverter power), gear selection is working, pot 1 and pot 2 and potnom graphing ok. Rechecked continuity from the inverter plug pins to the Zombie PCB for the 8 comms wires and all ok, and plugging in the old GS450H vcu starts up and runs the transmission in fwd and rev as expected. So confident the comms wiring is ok. Even tested with and without the HSDN connected, and have a switch mimicking the brake input signal.

Had saved a copy of the parameters that came on the vcu so even tested with those except for changing GS300H to GS450H for inverter as throttle settings were very similar.

Maybe someone see's what I'm missing? :) Good news is that when I figure this out, I have the vcu for the next project :D

params_as_delivered_131022.json
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
params_newly_set_131022.json
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
DSC_8575 - Copy.JPG
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Don't you have simply Rx and tx switched?
Is there a parameter or something visible about comms working or not? Like sending Ok and receiving ok? Byte counts?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So the vcu you received was bench tested on my 300h setup prior to dispatch and also given a 24 hour soak test. My 450h is in the process of transplanting into the E39. As they both use the same hardware for comms the worst that could happen is the oil pump on the 450h would not run. We know the hardware is good, software is good enough at least to run on the bench so right up to the pin header on the vcu should be good. As your inverter is proven good it really does only leave the intermediate wiring.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:14 am So the vcu you received was bench tested on my 300h setup prior to dispatch and also given a 24 hour soak test. My 450h is in the process of transplanting into the E39. As they both use the same hardware for comms the worst that could happen is the oil pump on the 450h would not run. We know the hardware is good, software is good enough at least to run on the bench so right up to the pin header on the vcu should be good. As your inverter is proven good it really does only leave the intermediate wiring.
Apologies, know I'm like a broken record at this stage :? Yes, that's the only thing that makes logical sense, and I've tried many different checks to see if I've done something silly but everything keeps checking out ok. I have the GS450H Tee'd back in so its easy to check between the inverter plug and both VCU headers (inv to GS450, GS450 to Zombie, Zombie to Inv), and can get continuity between all the relevant comms lines, and I can get approx 60R between each pair on both the Zombie and GS450H (with no power connected and only connecting one of the VCU's at a time). The GS450H runs the set up no problem every time. I'll recheck the comms wires again tomorrow with a fresh head, but I've checked and double checked many times over the past month or two so I have been happy the wiring is correct. Just to note, the GS450 VCU is running the user V3 code.

It really feels as if there is something like a shut down or safety shut off or something preventing the inverter firing up...like you'd expect from the HSDN/Park signal...or is there any way the Zombie could think its in 'charge' state so keeps the inverter shut down?!

Z003.JPG
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Nope. Opmode would be in "charge" instead of run. Does the oil pump run with the zom?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 pm Nope. Opmode would be in "charge" instead of run. Does the oil pump run with the zom?
Hadn't connected it yet but will check in the morning
streber

Post by streber »

I'm working on driving the fuel gauge in my E46 with the digital pots, but the datasheet says it can only take max 7V and the BMW appears to be using 12V for that signal. Am I out of luck or am I missing something?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just use an external voltage divider. To be honest I've not gotten around to using them myself as yet.
streber

Post by streber »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:31 pm Just use an external voltage divider. To be honest I've not gotten around to using them myself as yet.
I don't think that will work since I think it is using this as one leg of another voltage divider. So if I add another divider the resistance of that will dominate any adjustments from the pot.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

nkiernan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pm Apologies, know I'm like a broken record at this stage :? Yes, that's the only thing that makes logical sense, and I've tried many different checks to see if I've done something silly but everything keeps checking out ok. I have the GS450H Tee'd back in so its easy to check between the inverter plug and both VCU headers (inv to GS450, GS450 to Zombie, Zombie to Inv), and can get continuity between all the relevant comms lines, and I can get approx 60R between each pair on both the Zombie and GS450H (with no power connected and only connecting one of the VCU's at a time). The GS450H runs the set up no problem every time. I'll recheck the comms wires again tomorrow with a fresh head, but I've checked and double checked many times over the past month or two so I have been happy the wiring is correct. Just to note, the GS450 VCU is running the user V3 code.

It really feels as if there is something like a shut down or safety shut off or something preventing the inverter firing up...like you'd expect from the HSDN/Park signal...or is there any way the Zombie could think its in 'charge' state so keeps the inverter shut down?!

Z003.JPG
Well if you ask me you should tell us where you think you connect everything? Let's check pin 1 etc..might be stupid but I bet something small is causing this.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
streber

Post by streber »

nkiernan wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:59 pm Had saved a copy of the parameters that came on the vcu so even tested with those except for changing GS300H to GS450H for inverter as throttle settings were very similar.

Maybe someone see's what I'm missing? :) Good news is that when I figure this out, I have the vcu for the next project :D

params_as_delivered_131022.json

params_newly_set_131022.json
These two files are identical.

Not sure which version of the code is on there, but if it is 1.01 Inverter=6 is undefined. This is an easy way to drive yourself crazy is to set a value that is valid in one version and then put on new code where it isn't and it will just keep doing undefined things. I'd set it to GS450h, save to flash and power cycle to be sure it gets initialized properly.
JammerOne

Post by JammerOne »

My vcu is missing X2, IC10, and IC5. It was shipped without a headsup on the missing parts. I hope others haven't had to deal with this, but if you have, maybe you can help. I don't see the "X2" reference in any of the bom versions, is it a fuse? I have found the IC5 on Mouser.com, but I am still missing IC10 and possibly X2. Does anyone have a good source for these parts?