ZombieVerter VCU Support

nkiernan

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by nkiernan »

I have been looking into the issue I'm having where the GS450H inverter doesn't seem to power up even when 12V is applied and still isn't spinning the motors. Wondering if someone could explain the initial handshake/check that happens between the inverter and any VCU when 12V is applied, maybe that will help my troubleshooting (narrowing down checks to a specific comms line for example). As per earlier post, when I connect a GS450H VCU, watching the serial port, I see MTH Valid: Yes, Checksum: 2434 (example screenshot of this in previous post) and the system runs ok. So I assume when 12V power is applied to inverter, it sends MTH check data to VCU and VCU might send something back to confirm communication is ok, and inverter powers up.

Watching and listening closely when the GS450H VCU setup is powered on (I have a direct switched 12V supply to the inverter for testing power on/off scenarios), there is a clunk inside the inverter or gearbox when 12V power is applied to the inverter, like an internal contactor, and a faint high pitched whine can then be heard as expected. Turning off and on the 12V inverter supply cycles this clunk on and off along with the whine. This is with 60V at the inverter HV inputs and happens regardless if VCU is in R, N or D.

I disconnected the 60V from the inverter HV inputs and it seems the internal clunk happens for a couple of on/off cycles but then stops and inverter won't power on even when 12V power is applied. Connect up the 60V HV inputs and clunk starts again when 12V power is cycled, so seems the inverter needs to have a HV supply along with 12V power to start up and run (is there a specific sequence needed?) - So I tested same on the Zombie, 12V at LV input and 60V at HV input, but no change, no clunk or whine or motors turning.

I then disconnected the GS450H and Zombie VCU's but leaving the 60V HV supply and cycling 12V power, curious to see if the inverter only needs LV and HV supply in order to allow that clunk and power up to see if the communications lines are irrelevant until the inverter is actually powered up, but no clunk. So confirms communication is needed between VCU and inverter to start up the inverter.

So my conclusion at this point is that my system is missing the start up (or all) communication between Zombie and inverter so inverter won't power up, but once I get over this hurdle I'm fairly sure motors will spin ok. The two possible reasons I see for this are an issue with the communication lines (I wired them wrong or hardware that send/receive the signals) or the firmware isn't sending/receiving the right data.

So I've checked my comms wiring over and over, and I will check it again but I'm pretty sure it is ok especially as it works for the GS450H VCU. I've replaced the CAN transceivers with known good ones and checked all the pin continuities on the board between connectors, chips and stm32 and all seems ok.

Wiring is the most probable thing that I could have messed up here, but asking if anyone has any suggestions or checks I could do to rule out other issues? I'm thinking MTH CAN transceiver looks to be important at start up, so possibly trying to scope that on clock pin and pin 6 or 7? I can't see a way to get the firmware to confirm it is receiving and sending the required data.
paaa

Post by paaa »

That sounds like issue i mentioned before there seems to be two versions of wiring digrams for the toyota/ lexus end. Ill try post what pinout i have used that works over the weekend. Also have you tried firmware i sent yet?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

paaa wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:43 pm That sounds like issue i mentioned before there seems to be two versions of wiring digrams for the toyota/ lexus end. Ill try post what pinout i have used that works over the weekend. Also have you tried firmware i sent yet?

Is that the inverter plug pinout you mean (GS450H vs Camry)? Or were there two pinout versions for the Zombieverter VCU also? I've been working off the wiki versions which look to match what you sent me also.

Have been travelling with work so didn't get to try your firmware yet but hoping this week
paaa

Post by paaa »

I think the issue is that one of the shared gs450h pinout is actually the opposite way around as it the connector not socket on invetetr. Regardless though shouldn't work with the vcu either then.
I tidy up labelling and get a pic so others don't have issues.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

paaa wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:15 am I think the issue is that one of the shared gs450h pinout is actually the opposite way around as it the connector not socket on invetetr. Regardless though shouldn't work with the vcu either then.
I tidy up labelling and get a pic so others don't have issues.
Ah, ok. I should be ok on that then as the GS450H VCU is working spot on.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

I have one of those cheap USB based logic analysers but not really used it much before. Would it be worth trying to capture some data to help rule out more issues? If so, could anyone advise best checks (IC X, pins A/B/C, at start signal or T15, what to look for etc)?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

I've been doing a little more troubleshooting on my Zombie/GS450H setup. Still no motors turning but learned something about the INVstat.

I've updated the firmware to the file Paaa shared (thank you again Paaa :) ), tested with and without brake pedal pressed as up to now I was testing without brake pressed and wondered if brake signal is required to allow system to start up. I've also tested with Vehicle set to both 'none' (using my standard car T15/start signals) and E65 (inputting T15 and gear selection via CAN from an arduino). I've also checked and double checked my wiring again and continuity between the relevant CAN transceiver pins 6 and 7 and the inverter control plug pins. All still seems ok but still no motor turning, and really it seems its the inverter not turning on that is the issue.

What I have noticed is that INVstat does actually change to 'On' when the ignition on signal (T15) is present and before the start signal is received. I can hear the clunk I mentioned in the posts above when I switch 12V power to the inverter. Once the start signal is received, the contactors sequence as expected, HV is present at inverter, Opmode turns to 'Run' with no errors, but now INVstat changes back to 'Off'.

So it would appear something is triggering the inverter to switch off again. If I can see the INVstat changing from 'Off' to 'On' at T15, is that coming from the inverter comms (I'm hoping its that MTH is good data as per the GS450H VCU rather than just a firmware code thing)? Which would mean comms could be ok? What are the things in the firmware that change INVstat to 'Off' so, is it some errors, sensor readings, data issues?

power cycle 12v t15 on before start signal.JPG
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

We've worked on the code in the last few days (I'm over at Damiens) and the recent code compiles and runs fine in his application. Ampera heater support is currently disabled as it collided with our newly added chademo implementation
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Now that you are looking into the vcu project, you might want to check libopeninv looks like on github the version is different in the repo then in the VCU project. In the libopeninv repo there is no float? But there is in the VCU project. I wonder which one is latest greatest now?

stm32_can.cpp isn't equal and the implementation of the pI controller isn't and paramaters FLOAT type are added in the VCU version of the lib.

some changes are easy to guess but others like the PI Controller would atleast do with a comment that its customized for the VCU etc.
Then atleast when merging we know to ignore :)
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Renegate2020

Post by Renegate2020 »

what is the maximum power you can get from Nissan Leaf gen2 invertor when using ZombieVerter VCU?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Renegate2020 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:41 pm what is the maximum power you can get from Nissan Leaf gen2 invertor when using ZombieVerter VCU?
The power isn't limited by the VCU but by the inverter components.
Maybe the answer is in the wiki.
paaa

Post by paaa »

Leaf inverter firmware limits the power , 80kw for gen 1 and 2 24&30kwh batery ,for 2018 onwards inverter its 110kw from 40kwh and then 160kw for inverters for a 62kwh e plus or e power model.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

EV_Builder wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:33 pm Now that you are looking into the vcu project, you might want to check libopeninv looks like on github the version is different in the repo then in the VCU project.
Not sure which version you looked at. It is linked to the jsphuebner repo, not Damiens fork.
Just cloned and compiled a fresh copy, it works
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

johu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:16 pm Not sure which version you looked at. It is linked to the jsphuebner repo, not Damiens fork.
Just cloned and compiled a fresh copy, it works
Damiens VCU repo is linked to your repo, atleast on github right?
So if i do a new pull it shoudn't find any differences?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Ok, more precision ;) Stm32-vcu is hosted on Damiens github and the libopeninv submodule is hosted on mine
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

paaa wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:29 am Leaf inverter firmware limits the power , 80kw for gen 1 and 2 24&30kwh batery ,for 2018 onwards inverter its 110kw from 40kwh and then 160kw for inverters for a 62kwh e plus or e power model.
Would it be a great challenge to tweak the inverter firmware for gen 1 & 2 to give it, say 100 or more kw?
Uppertown

Post by Uppertown »

johu wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:33 pm We've worked on the code in the last few days (I'm over at Damiens) and the recent code compiles and runs fine in his application. Ampera heater support is currently disabled as it collided with our newly added chademo implementation
Thanks for your work, I don't suppose there is any chance of getting the GD branch merged back in????
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

johu wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:33 pm We've worked on the code in the last few days (I'm over at Damiens) and the recent code compiles and runs fine in his application. Ampera heater support is currently disabled as it collided with our newly added chademo implementation
Thank you, looking forward to testing this latest version to see if it helps my GS450H troubleshooting. Is it an option, or is there value in having, more error feedback for troubleshooting. In my case I'm thinking feedback whether MTH data is good or bad for example when using serial comms with inverters?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Uppertown wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:46 am Thanks for your work, I don't suppose there is any chance of getting the GD branch merged back in????
Yeah @Damien @johu; What is exactly the issue with the GD branch against the STM one?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Following some collaboration with Johannes we now have a first official binary release for the vcu : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... ses/latest

Modules tested in this release :

Basic functionality e.g. contactor control, precharge ,throttle,brake etc
External charger control
CAN1,CAN2 and CAN3.
Native Chademo fast charging utilising CAN3
Timed AC charging
BMW E39 module
BMW E46 module
Nissan Leaf inverter module
OpenInverter module
ISA shunt module

NOT tested in this release:
GS450h module. Will be done in coming week or two once GS450h system arrives.
Prius module. As above.
PWM and DAC fuel gauge modules.
Other vehicle modules.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:27 pm Following some collaboration with Johannes we now have a first official binary release for the vcu : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... ses/latest
quote]

8-)
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Chip shortages!

Apologies for the longish post but for those of us receiving their Zombie boards in this time of chip shortages (especially if you’re as scared of the electronics side of things as I am) I thought I’d share how to make sense of the bag of loose components that comes with the board.
IMG_1970.JPG
From Damien’s Github repository ( https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... are/Zombie ) download the Bill of Materials (BOM) file and the schematic file:
  • ZombieVerter_V1_BOM_Rel.ods
  • ZombieVerter_V1 - Schematic.pdf
The .ods file is a speadsheet and there are free converters online which will turn it into an .xlsx file.

Also get a powerful magnifying glass to read the markings on the components.

The component locations are marked on the board with a white rectangle and an IC number. This example shows the location for component IC19 in the middle of the picture.
IMG_1973.JPG
In the Bill of Materials spreadsheet find the IC number in middle column, then read across to the first column which gives the part number.
IC19 lookup.jpg
Use the magnifying glass to read the markings on the components until you find the one which, sort of, matches the part number. I say ‘sort of’ because none of mine were an exact match. For IC19 the part number is NCV7356D1G and the component was marked V7356 PEXN. I decided that was a close enough to ID it.

The middle column of the spreadsheet also shows where the same specification component is used in multiple locations.
ICmultiple lookup.jpg
To find out a bit more about the components look at Damien’s schematic and use the part number to search one of the online electronics stores such as mouser.co.uk

Through a process of elimination you can find out where the loose component go and which, if any, are missing. I put all this into a spreadsheet to hand to the guy who’ll be populating my board for me.
my component list.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Very useful post thank you :)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Renegate2020

Post by Renegate2020 »

I have a strange question - is it possible to use this board to control the charging of a chademo nissan leaf pdm without connecting an inverter and a motor?
asavage

Post by asavage »

AdrianB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:41 pm
  • ZombieVerter_V1_BOM_Rel.ods
The .ods file is a speadsheet and there are free converters online which will turn it into an .xlsx file.
Alternatively, one can install LibreOffice Calc, the native application for .ods spreadsheet files. It's a free/open source alternative to the closed-source Microsoft spreadsheet product. LibreOffice Calc is one component of a suite of business productivity applications (word processor, spreadsheet, slide presentation, etc.) similar to the Microsoft products.

I've found that the converters I've used for spreadsheets are imperfect.

LibreOffice suite
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel