Model 3 High Voltage Controller

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
woleg

Re: Model 3 High Voltage Controller

Post by woleg »

I have an odd contactor issue with one out of two M3 packs.

Pack 1 is dated 2020, pack 2 is 2021. I have no issues with pack 1, contactors closing and all is well. Using exactly the same routine as bielec's ESP32 code, pack 2 will only close the contactors for approximately 60 seconds before opening them. It then stays in an odd state where it flip flops both neg and positive contactors. Eventually it opens both contacts and flags up a HVIL error.

Screen recording of the fault state (flip flop) is here https://streamable.com/sia5kn
Savvycan log of the fault is attached.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any ideas about what it could be?
Attachments
fault state.csv
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
OOP

Post by OOP »

i had exacly the same with my newest pack of 3 and i put the inverter infront of contructors. Because the contractros does not close anymore. But this battery has from beginning issues like that, close the contractors and open it after a few minutes of charging. Than had a error and after you disconnect x98 and connected it again, it close again and the game starts again. After a few days the BMS does not close anymore and so i connect it in another way before the contractor and it works without issues since that time.

this is the newest of the 3 battery and i had the ,,old" carging connectors, but a new plastic isolation in the battery, this was changed from the other old ones a little bit. So i find out this is a new revision. On the part number its identical with the other ones.
woleg

Post by woleg »

Thanks for responding OOP. My issue is happening with no load (nothing connected) on the HVDC lines, did your contactors stay closed when you did not have the inverter connected?
OOP

Post by OOP »

yes this works if i have the 1000ym capatizitor connected and the inverter is in standby or disconnected.

without the capatizitor its does not close, but if you have a Pi with python and can head connected, you can see the states too. normaly in prepairing state or recharging state, the bms load up the voltage and the capacitor should hold the voltage, if not the bms failed in precharge phase.
woleg

Post by woleg »

I can see the states change using SavvyCan and the M3 dbc https://streamable.com/sia5kn , the voltage comes up and when equalised the contactors close. My fault condition is like your fault but I have no load. I needed to power cycle the BMS to restart the precharge state.

I have used the same capacitor on both packs, same can frames too. Just different results. Really do not know what the issue is.
OOP

Post by OOP »

take the voltmeter and check at precharging phase if the battery voltage will be reached or if this drops down to fast.
woleg

Post by woleg »

I can see the voltage in can data and on the meter, the contactors close initially because target voltage is reached. Going to change the capacitor and see what happens.
Qaryouty

Post by Qaryouty »

Nam wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:41 pm Yes, I connect the battery to the display. Actually almost complete car except doors and some front sensor. However, all peaces are removed from a car and de-assembled in my garage so maybe I may miss out some connection. I manage to get the firmware updated to all ECU including BMS.
Health test will require the battery to be fully discharge but the contactors are open so I don´t think health test can be done.
I really could use help I have a 2022 model 3
HV CONTACTORS won’t close tu support system I’m getting Bms pack configuration mismatch
Vehicle high temperature
Attachments
IMG_2187.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg
IMG_2191.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg
actuallyali

Post by actuallyali »

Hello everybody! I am trying to turn a a M3 battery from the scrapyard into a solar home battery and having trouble getting the HVIL satisfied... Here's what I tried:
image.png
image.png
image.png
Any help would be highly appreciated.

It's a 2021 AWD battery.
I have the feeling that the 20mA current source never gets activated, I checked the voltage on the 120 Ohm resistor and it's always zero - not even for a tiny amount of time when turning on (blue is the 12V supply and yellow is Voltage on Pin 1 of X098.
image.png
When I measure resistance between X479-24 INT HVIL out and ground I get around 180 Ohms, as expected. Also when I measure voltage between X479 pin 10 and 16 I get 4.8V...

I honestly don't know what to try anymore...
image.png
both flood sensors have around 11.6V on the Analog Out and 0.6V on the return... I assume that's the dry output? I also tried 60 Ohms instead of 120...

Edit2: Works now. You need to send the right CAN commands to activate the 20mA current source:
CAN_frame_t TESLA_221_1 = {.FIR = {.B = {.DLC = 8,.FF = CAN_frame_std,}},.MsgID = 0x221,.data = {0x41, 0x11, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20, 0x96}};
CAN_frame_t TESLA_221_2 = {.FIR = {.B = {.DLC = 8,.FF = CAN_frame_std,}},.MsgID = 0x221,.data = {0x61, 0x15, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20, 0xBA}};
Drewthecarguy

Post by Drewthecarguy »

actuallyali wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:15 pm Hello everybody! I am trying to turn a a M3 battery from the scrapyard into a solar home battery and having trouble getting the HVIL satisfied... Here's what I tried:
image.png
image.png
image.png

Any help would be highly appreciated.

It's a 2021 AWD battery.
I have the feeling that the 20mA current source never gets activated, I checked the voltage on the 120 Ohm resistor and it's always zero - not even for a tiny amount of time when turning on (blue is the 12V supply and yellow is Voltage on Pin 1 of X098.
image.png

When I measure resistance between X479-24 INT HVIL out and ground I get around 180 Ohms, as expected. Also when I measure voltage between X479 pin 10 and 16 I get 4.8V...

I honestly don't know what to try anymore...
image.png
both flood sensors have around 11.6V on the Analog Out and 0.6V on the return... I assume that's the dry output? I also tried 60 Ohms instead of 120...

Edit2: Works now. You need to send the right CAN commands to activate the 20mA current source:
CAN_frame_t TESLA_221_1 = {.FIR = {.B = {.DLC = 8,.FF = CAN_frame_std,}},.MsgID = 0x221,.data = {0x41, 0x11, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20, 0x96}};
CAN_frame_t TESLA_221_2 = {.FIR = {.B = {.DLC = 8,.FF = CAN_frame_std,}},.MsgID = 0x221,.data = {0x61, 0x15, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20, 0xBA}};
I’m really struggling to get my contacts to close too using evcontrols controller, did your schematic you put up with your jumpers and resistors end up working out for you? I believe I have the same problem you had with the 20mA current not being activated because I’m getting some faults that I can’t figure out how to clear and I am not getting any voltage out of my HVC to the shunt and contactors. Any help would be great
Webbey

Post by Webbey »

Hi there can someone please shed some light on this!!

My battery was working perfectly the contactors were closing the hv interlock loop was working perfect until I decided to put the battery on its side and now the interlock loop is open and the contactors will not close,
Externally the connections are the same but it is baffling me
Please help
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Maybe some (water) level sensor is now not happy inside the pack...
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.