Mercedes-Benz B Electric - motor support

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
PatrcioEV-ATX

Re: Mercedes-Benz B Electric - motor support

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

Jrod wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 am I have a Mercedes Ldu motor and swapped the wiring to match damien's Ldu board. I added a shielded 8 wire lead into inverter housing using waterproof gland nut. I have a crossover chart for making the correct connections to the jst plug.
Thanks, helpful! I was assuming, based on the rest of the thread, this was a physical rather than electronic issue. To my other questions, the parking pawl is a separate device on the transaxle itself with it's own wiring. Are you using that?
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
Jrod

Post by Jrod »

I have not tackled that yet.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Turns out I ordered the wrong JST connector and posted the wrong link earlier in the thread. Ended up just pulling the JST connector off the Zero Ev loom I purchased to build my harness. The one I listed only excepts 20 wires and the tesla JST connecotor to 23 pin ampseal connector takes 24 wires.

I built the harness using wires from the 23 pin ampseal ms3 pro 8 foot harness wires. Not sure its going to work. I know John Volk has had good luck with the cables. Just terrible at ordering 22 awg wires with 19 strands like the original mercedes wiring harness. The rubber housing does not fit inside the JST connector which kind of scares me because of the almost imminent possibility of electrical shorts that could and probably will occur if I don't find another cable to use. Just cant sit around all day and do nothing. So I tried to guess my pinouts based on the pinout charts provided and solder all the wires to the 90 degree 23 pin ampseal connector using my weller soldering iron.
20201210_153224.jpg
20201211_143455.jpg
20201211_143536.jpg
20201211_152655.jpg
Got it all built, cut the ampseal connector hole a lil wider to accommodate the 23 pin ampseal connector and installed it.

Now I am getting close to trying it out with a 12 volt battery. Just ordered another HV contactor cuz I only had 2 so I will have a third one to mimmick the diagram provided by Damian to finish my circuit.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Jrod wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 am I have a Mercedes Ldu motor and swapped the wiring to match damien's Ldu board. I added a shielded 8 wire lead into inverter housing using waterproof gland nut. I have a crossover chart for making the correct connections to the jst plug.
What company did you get these shielded 8 wire leads from? Can you post a link to the waterproof gland nut as well and possibly a picture of the setup some time if you have a chance? Sounds really good!
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

So I fished up the wiring harness and hooked it all up to a 12 volt battery. I got something wrong because the board will not light up.

I can not figure out what +rv stands for on the diagram. Anyone got any ideas where I should hook up all these wires when it says +rv
Attachments
Pinout (4).png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Its a missprint. It should be simply +12v.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

oh nice! Thanks bud! I'll go mess around with this knowledge. Maybe I can get the board to light up today.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Otherwise I fear I may have the wiring on my custom harness hooked up wrong.

Also Not quite sure where the can lines are supposed to go? If I where to guess I would say the DC to DC or the Charger? Still got to begin work on all the wiring on these componants.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

CAN lines go wherever you need them -- if you don't plan to use CAN with the inverter you can skip them for now.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Alright, I finally figured out what I am doing wrong. Just finally got the board to light up just now. I wired up my harness all wrong. Had the pinouts all wrong. I will post the proper pinouts and wire it up correctly now. Thanks for building these damian and for all the help friends!
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Ok so haven't updated for a while. Been battling with getting my board to communicate with my phone Samsung galaxy s7. It will connect and says its not connected wich I ignore since once in a while I can connect and get the screen where I can reset my parameters. However a lot of times it simply will not pull up the parameters screen. When it does come up it usually saves my parameters that I have previously set. However the thing definetly will not spin or even fire a contactor up. I am sorta lost right now. Thought maybe I had a poor wifi signal at my house and bought a 100ft cat5e cable to put my wifi box right on the motor and nothing has changed. Perhaps I messed up the wiring and the thing is protecting itself? Or maybe my board is one that had some solder come loose?(probably something I did though. Definitely super new to this stuff) hmmm not sure what I am gonna try next.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Maybe I need to download the new software but am having a hard time getting the 192.168.4.1 parameters screen to come up.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

ok, my contactors won't switch on when I flip the switch. I got a feeling that I need to put the relay I bought somewhere in my rats nest. they work fine on there own but for whatever reason when I wired it up to logic board I am getting no contacter clicking together noises.

keep watching the video roadstercycle has of bench testing. can not understand how he has his relays hooked up. kinda confused how the wiring diagram would want me to go about this relay hookup. sure it's just basic stuff for an electric car guy.

might just get a leaf motor from thunderstruck with the wiring harnesses already put together. just to get some hands on. don't remember my dc car having relays.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

I am pretty sure I need to figure out the brake input to the logic board. wondering if I can just hook up 12v to it to trick it into working.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Hi, I hook my motors up exactly like the diagrams posted for the LDU motor on this forum. You do have to have 12 volts and a drive pack around 50 to 100 volts. You also have to set your parameters correctly for the lower drive pack voltage. You just need to read all the LDU setup things that Damien and the guys on the forum chime in about. It should work just fine unless something is fried.
asavage

Post by asavage »

Such a painful thread to read. Two (OK, three) things I can address:

Mating Connectors: one non-obvious thing about the way that connectors parts are named is that the plastic housing bits have nothing to do with the gender. The gender of the terminals (the metal bits) are what determine whether a connector (housing [shell] + terminals) is called male or female. Again, ignore the connector's plastic housing: you'll usually find that the terminal gender is the opposite of the housing gender, but there are exceptions so never guess, always check. This will have you ordering the wrong parts over and over until the lesson is learned.

Connector pinout numbering: when dealing with electronics, get comfortable using the manufacturers' datasheets, you'll need them over and over. Pinouts are always specified in the connector's housing datasheet. There is not "one way" that connectors are numbered, although if you work with enough of them you can sometimes make an educated guess -- which is a Bad Idea.

When things have been connected improperly, always assume that damage has been done, and don't assume that correcting the connections or wiring will fix the situation. You are not connecting things together at the consumer level here, where often designers assume that consumers WILL connect things together wrong, so the components have some rudimentary protection -- either physical, electrical, or both -- built-in by design. At the level you are working with components, there is often no circuit protection from making a misteak, so if it's connected wrong once, assume it's broken until proven otherwise.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

ok perhaps this new knowledge on male and female connectors will help me fix my 23 pin connector wiring harness . I will go back and check all this stuff now.

also not sure about where the relay will go.

or about my brake light signal.

thanks for all the help electric friends.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

so the female end is on the left.

the male end would be on the right.

I was looking at the plastic housings not the actual metal connectors. this changes everything.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (39.86 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

leman2112 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 am 20201211_143536.jpg
I hope you’re not actually running this connector in the drive unit. This is a big no no. the chance of this failing is very high. driving a 400hp motor, very dangerous.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

good point. Any suggestions on how I could make it safe? Maybe I could just do a gland nut like jrod talked about earlier in thread?
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Here’s an off the shelf solution https://zero-ev.co.uk/shop/ldu23db-ldu- ... oard-12873

at least spend some time soldering each connection, have the striped wire strands fully parallel to the connector pins. Then heat shrink each connection to shield and take the stress off the wire. The solder makes the wires brittle and susceptible to cracking.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

yeah that was the first time I soldered anything. your method is a way better idea.

I am going to buy that part from zero ev. then I don't have to guess the coding of the connector pinouts. such an awesome plug and play solution. thanks so much!
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

wow I already have that part. never sent it back. haha just need another harness.
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

ordered another harness. maybe this will work. probably won't fit in the case without modification. but at least it will be way safer than anything I can solder or build. maybe I can just bolt it on the outside of case to gain clearance. maybe put a 23 wire gland nut in there make a custom cover for the original connector whole and seal it all up.
Attachments
16729298010761905540948802533308.jpg