Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
muehlpower

Re: Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Post by muehlpower »

I have two EU and one US model PCS here. The US is from an early M3, I don't know about the EU parts. How do I recognize the compatible versions?
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I'm hoping to get back to wrestling with my PCS, (no DC-DC or charge working) some time this spring/early summer. It's a bit down the list though, behind axles, CHAdeMO, and roll cage.

Since the PCS software is closed source, how can we best help figure out what messages work?
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The original Arduino based PCS software is open source : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... PCS_V6.ino
I'm going to need a hacksaw
gigawatts

Post by gigawatts »

I am wanting to use a complete Model 3 battery in my EV conversion. I believe the PCS Controller board is only DCDC, charger, and charge port? Can the Tesla contactors and precharge be bypassed if using the penthouse? I'm thinking I could get the vehicle minimally functional, as in driving and charging, using the standard openinverter precharge and the PCS Controller board for DCDC and charger. I have not purchased a PCS Controller board yet and it looks like only a few people have gotten the charger to work. Is anyone using the complete penthouse?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:41 pm Simply finding the correct can messages for that firmware version.
For this, is it necessary to get the CAN from a functioning car to allow the reverse engineering, or is it possible with only the PCS on the bench and probing its CAN?

I presume we need a functioning car so we need to start gathering up CAN logs?

Or is it possible with some educated/controlled fuzzing in Savvycan if ID's etc are narrowed down enough? I don't know if Tesla firmware changes typically mean drastic changes to CAN or minor tweaks. I have a 2019 EU PCS about ready to power up and test
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:21 pm Or is it possible with some educated/controlled fuzzing in Savvycan if ID's etc are narrowed down enough? I don't know if Tesla firmware changes typically mean drastic changes to CAN or minor tweaks. I have a 2019 EU PCS about ready to power up and test
Yes; that can be done but you need a proper CanBus description file (dbc) then.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
SeanLimera

Post by SeanLimera »

Hello,

I just bought a board from Damien with the 35 way ampseal variant. Does anyone have a pinout for this board? Been looking everywhere but can only seem to find the Me-mx variant pinout.

Thanks
Gilbo

Post by Gilbo »

nkiernan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm PCS controller up and running and connected to web interface

24.gif

Until I get a wall charger set up, what would be the minimum requirement to be able to use the PCS with 240V single phase domestic supply to allow some testing and light charging of Tesla pack!? Is a fused connection to the AC charge input allowed? If US versions are 120VAC on two pins, will EU PCS work with similar?

14.gif
Were you able to bench test the PCS before the attaching it to the batteries? I would like to test mine as well but I am struggling with the Arduino side of things. I have downloaded the .ino file from Damien but haven’t been able to run the code bc of the dependent libraries. I have been looking all over the internet for the needed librarie but the code will not run with the libraries I have downloaded. Is there a specific place that can holds them all or does the community have a better way of finding the libraries?

(EDIT: I solved the problem, there are multiple libraries that can be used by the Arduino code that Damien provides but they will continue to give you errors. You need the Metro library from collins80/metro.h, due_can from collins80/due_can, due_wire from collins80/due_wire, DueTimer from the arduino libraries, wire_eeprom from collins80, and AverageValue from Arduino )
Gilbo

Post by Gilbo »

I have been able to run the Arduino code that Damien provided and have been able to attach all but one wire to the Due which is the EVSE_ACT wire which is meant to go into pin 44. I do not know where I am meant to get the EVSE_ACT wire from but any advice would be really helpful. I also have managed to get Damiens board to read the voltage but there does not seem to be any more communication between Damien's board and the PCS. I attached what I see with the arduino Due and Damien's board plugged into the PCS, while the PCS is connected to wall voltage (not a charger) and the battery pack. If this is similar to what is expected I would really appreciate anyone letting me know if this is close.
Screenshot 2022-05-11 163940.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 164014.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 164045.png
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Gilbo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:26 pm Were you able to bench test the PCS before the attaching it to the batteries?
I've not got this far yet but getting close to having to get back to the PCS, so not much help to your quries unfortunately. Keen to see how you get on, cheers
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Gilbo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:00 am I have been able to run the Arduino code that Damien provided and have been able to attach all but one wire to the Due which is the EVSE_ACT wire which is meant to go into pin 44. I do not know where I am meant to get the EVSE_ACT wire from but any advice would be really helpful.
EVSE_ACT is not used on the dedicated controller, so I'm not sure where that should be. There's no activation pin persay on the J1772, and the code has provisions for pilot and prox so its not that. I'm lost as well.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Gilbo

Post by Gilbo »

SeanLimera wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:42 pm Hello,

I just bought a board from Damien with the 35 way ampseal variant. Does anyone have a pinout for this board? Been looking everywhere but can only seem to find the Me-mx variant pinout.

Thanks
Did anyone ever supply you with the pinout for the V3 PCS board?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Wise

Post by Wise »

Hello !
I use stm32 version v2 board with commercial firmaware (demo version for 5 minutes) made by JLCPCB (US version PCS) and have some error bits.
errbits0_2 8 (PCS_a032 unused I think)
errbits1_0 577 (can't explain this errors)

Can you explain this errors for me ?
Wise

Post by Wise »

Photos..
Attachments
зображення_viber_2022-05-29_15-23-23-308.jpg
зображення_viber_2022-05-29_15-22-59-005.jpg
зображення_viber_2022-05-29_15-22-09-536.jpg
Wise

Post by Wise »

Hello !
I concluded that my chargers have the wrong firmware with a modified DBC, could you read the firmware of your working charger? Or tell me in which direction I should move, I purchased 6 US chargers and none of them work

P.S.
I unpacked a rather old firmware from MODEL 3 and found the firmware of all modules there, including the PCS, but the firmware extension confuses me:
PCS_DCDC_charger_P3_A1_U1_CPU1_CRC.bhx
PCS_DCDC_charger_P3_A1_U1_CPU2_CRC.bhx
Tell me, is it just a firmware file or encrypted firmware
Solition1DC

Post by Solition1DC »

nkiernan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm PCS controller up and running and connected to web interface
Cannot find a network to connect 192.168.4.1, tried using CAN wires nothing. Get red blinking lights, green light on wifi blinks quick only when turning on. Looked at videos did not find instructions on entering program screen. What is being overlooked?

New 35 pin board wired as follows:

Pin Purpose
1 GND
2 12V
3 out1
4 out2
5 in1
6 in2
7 EVSE CONTROL_PILOT
8 EVSE PROXIMITY
9 CAN_EXTERNAL_LOW
10 CAN_EXTERNAL_HIGH
11 GND
12 5V
13 analog input
26 GND
27 12V
28 5V
29 IPC_CAN_TX
30 IPC_CAN_RX
31 PCS_ENABLE
32 PCS_DC/DC
33 PCS_CHG
34 CP_CAN_ H I G H (Edited)
35 CP_CAN_ L O W (Edited)

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The main board should have 2 leds. One on sold marked 3v3 and one blinking at 10hz marked "accty". The wifi module should also have two leds. One red on always indicating the module has power and the other flashes green at powerup indicating the module receives data from the stm32 on the main board. At this stage you need a laptop or other wifi enabled device and search for networks. You should find on with ssid "inverter" and password is "inverter123". Once connected, open a browser and navigate to 192.168.4.1 to bring up the web interface. Would be great if someone could please update the PCS wiki page as there is a lot of info that needs to be captured.

Boards are programmed and power tested prior to dispatch as with all the kits. As I have repeated in multiple threads I do not as yet have a workshop up and running to allow me to work on ev parts. Perhaps if those who have their PCS up and running could jump in to help those who do not then some progress could be made. Assuming this doesn't happen then the only thing I can suggest is to ask someone with a non working PCS and controller to send it to me so as we can get to the bottom of this. I have one US and one EU PCS successfully tested on both the original prototype controller and the new V2 stm32 version.
Wise

Post by Wise »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:15 am The main board should have 2 leds. One on sold marked 3v3 and one blinking at 10hz marked "accty". The wifi module should also have two leds. One red on always indicating the module has power and the other flashes green at powerup indicating the module receives data from the stm32 on the main board. At this stage you need a laptop or other wifi enabled device and search for networks. You should find on with ssid "inverter" and password is "inverter123". Once connected, open a browser and navigate to 192.168.4.1 to bring up the web interface. Would be great if someone could please update the PCS wiki page as there is a lot of info that needs to be captured.

Boards are programmed and power tested prior to dispatch as with all the kits. As I have repeated in multiple threads I do not as yet have a workshop up and running to allow me to work on ev parts. Perhaps if those who have their PCS up and running could jump in to help those who do not then some progress could be made. Assuming this doesn't happen then the only thing I can suggest is to ask someone with a non working PCS and controller to send it to me so as we can get to the bottom of this. I have one US and one EU PCS successfully tested on both the original prototype controller and the new V2 stm32 version.
Hello !
Can I send you a controller made by jlcpcb (stm32 - all works fine) ? And one US PCS
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sure. Will be in touch in a week or two to arrange.
Wise

Post by Wise »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:54 pm Sure. Will be in touch in a week or two to arrange.
Hello ! Can you tell me when can I send you a charger?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

If its a help to have a couple of PCS and controller units for a comparison test I should be able to send a set too
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Will advise soon. I need a bit of a basic workbench setup before I can do anything useful:)
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

I'm beginning the process of integrating my PCS under the hood of my vehicle... I am rewatching Damien's demo video, but in case the answer isn't in there, does anyone know how the shell of the PCS should be grounded? My current mounting solution connects it to chassis (12v) ground, I am wondering if this needs to be changed.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Can those with non working pcs who have offered please contact me via pm to arrange shipping to me? Hopefully we can then get to the bottom of these issues. Thanks.