Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

So I've checked a few more things:
- I redid my PCS plug wiring to make sure the connections were solid, that's not the issue.

I'm not seeing any resistance across IPC CAN (pins 4+5 of the control board 12pin connector). Should there be a termination resistor here?

My PCS is P/N 1093219-10-G. Damien and Fred, what versions are yours? Could there be a version change causing the difference between Damien's and ours?
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:38 pm So I've checked a few more things:
- I redid my PCS plug wiring to make sure the connections were solid, that's not the issue.

I'm not seeing any resistance across IPC CAN (pins 4+5 of the control board 12pin connector). Should there be a termination resistor here?

My PCS is P/N 1093219-10-G. Damien and Fred, what versions are yours? Could there be a version change causing the difference between Damien's and ours?

At first my pcs controller was completely dead, after 50+ mail to and from Johu we have solved the most critical functions, now everything works beside charging. That's the next headache.... I hope that we can solve this.

For the moment I use the outlander 3kw charger and dcdc

My PCS version is: 1133358-02-C
3phase eu 2018.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Ok, attached are three log files from the IPC CAN Bus. Included are:
- start up, without being plugged in
- plugging in and then unplugging in manual mode
- plugging in and then unplugging in Type 1 mode

Please let me know if these are usable/useful, it's my first attempt at CAN logging, the odds are high that I screwed something up.

Edit to add: charging did not occur in any of these instances.
Attachments
2021-12-30 start up.csv
(298.42 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
2021-12-30 plug in type1.csv
(460.18 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
2021-12-30 plug in manual.csv
(780.36 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In those logs I am not seeing any msgs from the PCS such as id 0x264 or 0x2A4 etc. That would suggest the pcs is not powered up.One little gotcha if bench testing is the case of the pcs must be connected to 12v ground and the big 12v terminals must be connected to a 12v battery.

take a look at some of the logs here : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... r/CAN_Logs
to see examples of ids the pcs sends.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
P.S.Mangelsdorf

I think I have the grounds covered. I have the 12V connection, I have the casing grounded, and I have all the grounds connected on the control board.

Some part of the PCS must be waking up because I am seeing the correct HV reported in the web interface.

I will go through it again to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I'm fairly certain the connections are correct. One question though, the pinout lists 12V on pin 2 of the 12-pin connector, but then says "not used" next to it. Does that need to be connected to 12V from the car or just left unconnected? Should it be going to the PCS?

fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 pm I think I have the grounds covered. I have the 12V connection, I have the casing grounded, and I have all the grounds connected on the control board.

Som part of the PCS must be waking up because I am seeing the correct HV reported in the web interface.

I will go through it again to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I'm fairly certain the connections are correct. One question though, the pinout lists 12V on pin 2 of the 12-pin connector, but then says "not used" next to it. Does that need to be connected to 12V from the car or just left unconnected? Should it be going to the PCS?
I did not use pin nummer 12. The connector to pcs dont have any pin to connect that cable.
Think that it get Gnd and +12v from battery terminals..

My messages from pcs controller wont start appearing until i enable input 1 and pcs controller is in manual mode. (Or type 2 mode if cable is inserted)

Som my first tough is that you nog get it to enable/run. But then you also see values appearing in web interface.... I did nog get any values there until I enable/run.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

fredd90 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:00 pm
My messages from pcs controller wont start appearing until i enable input 1 and pcs controller is in manual mode. (Or type 2 mode if cable is inserted)
I have input 1 connected.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Ok so I have triple checked my wiring and can confirm that the 12V connections are getting 12V, the case is grounded, the control board is correctly setting pin 6 (PCS enable) to ground, and all other connections appear to be correct.

When everything is powered up, the PCS is reporting correct HV and 12V voltages, and the control board is displaying them in the web interface.

When I got the PCS, I did open it up and saw no outward signs of damage.

At this point, short of damage to the PCS that I missed or couldn't see, it appears from my end to be a firmware/software issue.

johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

How can we do diagnosis? Do any of the messages sent BY the PCS contain some error code?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Message id 0x3A4 is the PCS alert matrix. It is a multiplexed message that will tell you all of the PCS's woes and complaints.

Byte 0 lower nibble flips from 0 to 1 indicating which message page is displayed.

Attached two pictures detailing the bits and their labels. The ones of most interest will be the "MIA" flags. e.g. page 0 bit 24 = hvpMia this means the PCS is not seeing a message or messages that should originate from the hvp (high voltage processor).

Now, all that is needed is for someone to transcribe this info into a dbc file and use it in conjunction with the CAN logs from the failed attempts to determine what is annoying the PCS. Then we can work on a solution.
Attachments
2022-01-19 09.19.35.jpg
2022-01-19 09.18.56.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Perfect, thanks!

Added some experimental code:

Code: Select all

if ((data[0] & 0xF) == 0)
      {
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits0_0, data[0] & 0xFFFF);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits0_1, data[0] >> 16);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits0_2, data[1] & 0xFFFF);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits0_3, data[1] >> 16);
      }
      else
      {
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits1_0, data[0] & 0xFFFF);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits1_1, data[0] >> 16);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits1_2, data[1] & 0xFFFF);
         Param::SetInt(Param::errbits1_3, data[1] >> 16);
      }
So now all those bits can be found at the bottom of the page in errbitsX_Y where X is the page number and Y is the index. Y=0, bits 0..15, Y=1 bits 16..31 and so on. Please submit what you're getting when the PCS should be charging but isn't.
In this version I've also fixed the 2D/5D issue.
Attachments
stm32_pcs.hex
(52.85 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
stm32_pcs.bin
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Did a quick test with the new firmware and the dcdc converter did not work this time, but we can skip that for now.. Lets focus on charger :D

Also read the can message. 0X3A4 @ 01 00 01 00 00 00 00 00

Getting error bit 16 on page 1, which would mean PCS_a73_unexpectedAcInputVoltage
according to Damiens matrix.

I have double checked that the voltage is not present before EVSE activate

Can it be that we enable EVSE Before the pcs get start sign from the PCS controller maybe?
Test felkod pcs.jpg
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Is there a housing like for the Zombieverter VCU, that i can order for this?
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I found the other plugs as 3D printable options. But does this one exist, too?
13.gif
17.gif
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Zapatero wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:28 am I found the other plugs as 3D printable options. But does this one exist, too?
I haven't found one. I bought a harness and pulled that one out of it.

Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I just realized that i bought an EU version of this charger. It's the EU version still not supported? Thanks Philip
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Zapatero wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:07 pm Is there a housing like for the Zombieverter VCU, that i can order for this?
the molex chince housing? There is a cad file for them, I’ll try and dig it up
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Zapatero wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:10 pm I just realized that i bought an EU version of this charger. It's the EU version still not supported? Thanks Philip
There seem to be problems. The DC-DC converter works fine but not the charger. I'm hoping we can figure this out
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Can i support somehow? Do you want my charger for testing?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Not a bad idea. Not sure if you bought it yet, otherwise just have it shipped here.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I'll get it shipped to you this week :) thanks!!!!!
Hopefully i did not buy this without being able to use it :(

I didn't get the plugs printed, yet. But if you want to go for it I'll pay for it, of course
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

To explain once again : The problem is NOTHING to do with EU or US versions. It is related to the FIRMWARE version on the charger side of the pcs. I tested the controller on both US and EU versions before release. However, in the model 3 they change the can dbc with different firmware versions so the can that works on one charger (or indeed any other M3 part) may not work on another of the same type simply due to the firmware version that happened to be on the car at the time it was crashed/broken for parts.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Alright, added to wiki page.
So maybe Zapateros PCS just works fine then. Don't send it yet!
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:41 am To explain once again : The problem is NOTHING to do with EU or US versions. It is related to the FIRMWARE version on the charger side of the pcs. I tested the controller on both US and EU versions before release. However, in the model 3 they change the can dbc with different firmware versions so the can that works on one charger (or indeed any other M3 part) may not work on another of the same type simply due to the firmware version that happened to be on the car at the time it was crashed/broken for parts.
So just out of curiosity: if the firmware is not the correct one, what would be the solution then?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Simply finding the correct can messages for that firmware version. More that get found out the more pcs we will have working as the messages get added to the firmware. Wouldn't it be great if we all shared? Given that that won't happen then it will wait for me to get my new workshop setup, do it the hard way and publish the info.