exist BMS for cells more than 6V ?

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
chentron

exist BMS for cells more than 6V ?

Post by chentron »

I am in the moment to choose a battery for my conversion, but
I have found some modules with more than 2kw, 22v 6s/2p , from Seat mii/VW e-up/ skoda
Disassembly is a maroon and it have compact and strength aluminium cases, ready for easy cooling.
so my question is if anyone knows a BMS for 22 volts , to just balance the module like a cell. Complete system will be 14 modules for 308 volts
arber333

Re: exist BMS for cells more than 6V ?

Post by arber333 »

chentron wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:45 pm I am in the moment to choose a battery for my conversion, but
I have found some modules with more than 2kw, 22v 6s/2p , from Seat mii/VW e-up/ skoda
Disassembly is a maroon and it have compact and strength aluminium cases, ready for easy cooling.
so my question is if anyone knows a BMS for 22 volts , to just balance the module like a cell. Complete system will be 14 modules for 308 volts
Do they have original BMS installed? Might be your obvious simpBMS communication since it is VW?

See here for DIY BMS: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=990
Very simple BMS. Protection on the upper side with balancing and another protection trigger on the low side.
Each cell is protectet individually by a complete loop of optocouplers. If loop is breached some action happens, you configure what that action is...

If you want you can only populate 6S on one side and 6S on the other side for 2x modules of 12S.
Then daisy chain modules together.

I use it with my DUE charger controler. At least two cars use this setup now ;).
chentron

Post by chentron »

not original bms installed, only the modules appear in the photo from seller. I will ask.
I readed on the fly diy bms form Stuart and your "verysimpleBMS" , but as I understand cells must be less of 5-6 volts.
The modules from seat mii , as modules jaguar are nice examples of quality products make for last , but you can not dismount to connect cables for BMS without cutting the aluminium case.
My plan was balance the module complete, risking to less a cell inside, but without opening the case.
So I understand that your verysimpleBMS has a limit of 4.2 v , right ?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

chentron wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:51 pm not original bms installed, only the modules appear in the photo from seller. I will ask.
I readed on the fly diy bms form Stuart and your "verysimpleBMS" , but as I understand cells must be less of 5-6 volts.
The modules from seat mii , as modules jaguar are nice examples of quality products make for last , but you can not dismount to connect cables for BMS without cutting the aluminium case.
My plan was balance the module complete, risking to less a cell inside, but without opening the case.
True 4.25V limit on the up and 2.8V limit down but Liion cells are all the same. So if you see 6V that means there is another pin contact for the middle of the 2S connection. Once you find that you will be able to connect any BMS. It seems cells are a little low at 3V. What is the complete voltage of the battery now?
chentron

Post by chentron »

i have not the battery. I have a offer from a seller for this 6s battery. That is the reason i ask a BMS supporting 6s voltage limits (6x4,2 v = 25.2v) to avoid disassembly the module

arber333 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 am
chentron wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:51 pm not original bms installed, only the modules appear in the photo from seller. I will ask.
True 4.25V limit on the up and 2.8V limit down but Liion cells are all the same. So if you see 6V that means there is another pin contact for the middle of the 2S connection. Once you find that you will be able to connect any BMS. It seems cells are a little low at 3V. What is the complete voltage of the battery now?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

chentron wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:19 pm i have not the battery. I have a offer from a seller for this 6s battery. That is the reason i ask a BMS supporting 6s voltage limits (6x4,2 v = 25.2v) to avoid disassembly the module
OK... then my single BMS module will support 2x 6S batteries. In effect this will make it 12S then... if you use more batteries you only need to be carefull that you wire them in succession from one 6S module to another.