VW T4 with Tesla LDU

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
tollerteppich

Re: VW T4 with Tesla LDU

Post by tollerteppich »

folkers wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:17 am New to the forum 👋 , and also have a T4 which I’ll be looking to convert. Going to be researching for a while first and I’ll be watching this with interest.
That pleases me.

Next, the axle is reassembled.

Then it continues with the adjustment of the motor position and the drive shafts. that's the hardest part.

I still have to get the engine mount on the side somewhere.

For me, this is a long-term project. I am currently doing calculations for the break even point.
Tabelle.png
For example, the operating costs of my diesel bus for an annual 15,000 km in 5 years are around 15,000 €, which corresponds to the cost of the conversion.

If I add a PV system with a hybrid inverter and 15KWh battery, that's around € 10,000, so a total of € 25,000.

So there is no diesel car maintenance and house electricity maintenance, with us about 400 € / month. If you take a standard loan for the 25K € then you have to reckon with a total of 34T € over a period of about 7-8 years.

So far, the calculation has assumed an inflation rate of 5% for diesel / Jear and 3% for electricity / year. Although that will only change by a few hundred euros in 5 years. So rather negligible.

In Germany there is also the fact that e-cars are tax-free for 10 years and then only max. 50% of the previous ones. Unfortunately, the € 9,000 electric car bonus is only available for new cars and not for conversions.

At the moment I am still unclear because of the PV system how it has to be designed if you want to generate 10-15 KWh for the car and 5KWh for the house in winter. In order to keep the self-sufficiency high and thus the savings high, you have to design the system so that you can still get the 20km to work and back with the slightest solar radiation. which is then determined 15KWh because of heating and 5KWh for the House.

And you have to be able to build the whole thing yourself or just pay more and pay longer.

After 10 years you have a profit of 10,000 € and can possibly buy a new battery if necessary or organize a big party: D

Of course, this requires a sharp pencil to make the conversion as cheap as possible.

I recently bought:
VW T4 Highline 2000 €
(((Model 3 SD battery 25s + 6s + 400 single cells 1100 € (22KWh) home battery)))
Tesla LDU + drive shafts 2700 €
Tesla cable for LDU 70 €
Open inverter circuit board € 300
Reverse Oilpump + Conectors € 300
Dozer 150 €
Front axle rubbers € 80
Front axle parts € 300
Car test center EV conversion guideline 50 €
Aktuell € 5950 without the Home Battery

What else has to be bought:
Vacuum pump
AC pump
Hydraulic pump
Hydraulic hoses
Model 3 Longe Range battery ~ 8000 €
Stainless steel plates for control box.
I wanted to remove the charger and DCDC converter from the Model3 battery.
High power relay
Charging socket
Cooling and heating system
BMS maybe I can take the BATMAN which is connected to my 15,7KWh battery for the house
Odds and ends
Attachments
E-Auto - Haus Berechnung.xlsx
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
When accelerating, the tears of emotion must flow horizontally towards the ear.
Walter Röhrl
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

So friends of the night

it goes on: D

- Window frame painted and window installed
-all screws all galvanized
-Front axle assembled and installed

the next steps will be:

-weight distribution with sandbags
-Install the motor and measure the drive shafts
-rust and sheet metal work

here a few more pictures: D
Schrauben verzinkt 1.jpg
Schrauben P o r n
Schrauben verzinkt 2.jpg
The fun is 200km driving and 10 € for galvanizing

Vorderachse 1.jpg
Vorderachse 2.jpg
Vorderachse 3.jpg
Looks delicious when everything is new and shiny

Vorderachse Eingebaut.jpg
and for over a year now the bus has been on four wheels again, can be rolled and steered XD

so that's it for the moment

Many greetings Alex
Walter Röhrl
noturbolader

Post by noturbolader »

Hallo.

Das ist mein T4 Projekt elektro umbau

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704678 ... ?ref=share
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

delete
Walter Röhrl
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

Hi, everyone

My project is progressing bit by bit...

I've finished the engine mount, I rebuilt it from 80x80 square tubing and I use the original engine mounts.

I disassembled the engine and rebuilt the oil pump, I'm still missing the gear oil. what do you take for the LDU? the old one was pretty cloudy and there was also some fine abrasion on the magnet, which I see as normal with a high mileage.

I measured the drive shafts and will make them from 42CrMo4 when the money comes again.
Antriebswelle.png
I weighed down the car evenly with 500kg sandbags to measure the suspension travel.

the last thing i did was complete the vacuum system, but i have the problem that the pump keeps running and gets hot.
The loss of pressure comes from the brake booster. I think there is a small hole somewhere. I have no idea how to solve this at the moment. the ATE number is 03.7757-3303.4 or 7D0612101H and is no longer manufactured by ATE under the number.

I have the circuit board from johu inside. the vacuum pump switches on immediately when the pressure drops a little with a very small hysteresis.

I think I'm not the only one with the problem.

Originally, a constantly running mechanical vacuum pump ensures continuous vacuum. there is a small leak not noticeable.

with a quiet electric car, however, I think it will quickly become annoying.

I would be interested to know how others have solved such problems?

LG Alex
Walter Röhrl
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

tollerteppich wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Originally, a constantly running mechanical vacuum pump ensures continuous vacuum. there is a small leak not noticeable.

with a quiet electric car, however, I think it will quickly become annoying.

I would be interested to know how others have solved such problems?

LG Alex
I ditched vacuum brakes for electric assist, using a ibooster. Found in teslas, Hondas, chevys, etc
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

Bratitude wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:58 am
I ditched vacuum brakes for electric assist, using a ibooster. Found in teslas, Hondas, chevys, etc
I've thought about electrically assisted brake boosters. However, I think that there will be problems with our car expert from TÜV if I change the brake system of the car.

How does an electric brake booster work?

Surely they need all sorts of canbus gimmicks to work, or does something like this work on its own?

I have a 10" brake booster with Double Piston.

Are there electric vacuum pumps that are designed for continuous operation?

I could wrap it in foam with a cooling water snake so that it can no longer be heard.
Walter Röhrl
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

most electric assist brake boosters have a fail safe mode, I’m currently just running mine with that. 12v+ on a enable pin.

Volkswagen uses them in a few cars, I’m sure if you got a vw one, the bolt patterns might be the same so it might be a bolt in affair.

are you using a reservoir and a check valve with your brake booster? There should be no reason to have the vacuum pump running constantly
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

Bratitude wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:28 pm are you using a reservoir and a check valve with your brake booster? There should be no reason to have the vacuum pump running constantly
I made a sketch of my system.

If I remove the brake booster and hold the hose closed, the pump stops running. So I can say with certainty that the pressure loss comes from the booster.
Unterdrucksystem.png
do you use a VW booster?

can you give me the part number of yours?
Walter Röhrl
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Lars has some great blog post detailing ibooster info.

https://www.evcreate.nl/electric-power-brakes/

Here are some vw part numbers for iboosters
5QE614105AK; 5QE614105C; 5QE614105E; 5QE614105P; 5QE614105Q
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

Bratitude wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:19 pm Lars has some great blog post detailing ibooster info.

yeah that's cool man!

But I've just counted it and come to about 700€ for all parts, which is really cool that ev hobbyists can buy it and it's so well documented.

But I think I'll try it first with a new brake booster, which costs €160 new. I asked the parts service today.

damn the ibooster is awesome. But I have to economize with the money, it's going on camping holliday in France in 2 months... 3000km....600€ Diesel :-|
Walter Röhrl
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

tollerteppich wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:23 pm
Bratitude wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:19 pm Lars has some great blog post detailing ibooster info.

yeah that's cool man!

But I've just counted it and come to about 700€ for all parts, which is really cool that ev hobbyists can buy it and it's so well documented.

But I think I'll try it first with a new brake booster, which costs €160 new. I asked the parts service today.

damn the ibooster is awesome. But I have to economize with the money, it's going on camping holliday in France in 2 months... 3000km....600€ Diesel :-|

I think I spent more on the connectors needed than the ibooster it self. I got my ibooster for about 130$ Canadian

But sounds like the new booster will set you straight
tollerteppich

Post by tollerteppich »

The problem is that the prices for spare parts here in Germany are enormous, the cheapest ibooster I've seen was around €300 used!

whether a new booster is better, maybe maybe not. the dumb ICE sucks a vacuum at all times, so it doesn't matter if it's not perfectly tight somewhere...

The power steering also needs a bracket and some hydraulic hoses, which aren't cheap either.
Walter Röhrl