Inside the BMW 330e inverter

Martin1775

Inside the BMW 330e inverter

Post by Martin1775 »

Hello I've got a BMW 330e inverter and could not resist to examine it.

So if someone is interested in it, I show my findings.

It is a Bosch 0437508310 or BMW 8742493.

The IGBT are labeled with a Bosch number, so I could not find any information, but the internet says for the Bosch LEB450D inverter short time 450A, continous current 108A.
IMGP0202.jpg

May be the IGBT's and driver board are usable, but my find is, it will not be easy.
IMGP0206.JPG
The auxillery supply is controlled by the controller board, so no switching regulator on the driver board. There is a µC on the driver board that connects to two IGBT via driver parallel to the driver controlled from the controller board, I don't know if only for monitoring, or for emergency use, or what else.
The busbars are pressed fit so it will be better if you don't need to disconnect them so you need to configurate the driver IC via SPI. They have a debug input for use without configuration, but then you have to decompose everything.

I try to get use of the IGBT Board and made some documentation of my findings.

Some parts on the controller board are Bosch, the µC in the DC/DC converter is a SC667236 NXP so custom specific.
IMGP0221.JPG
On the controller board are a lot of resistors for current measurement (I expect 12V) and some Power MOS-FET for switching, also some auxillery power supplies.
IMGP0234.JPG
IMGP0235.JPG
Attachments
Inverter_V1.00.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 243 times
johu
Site Admin

Re: Inside the BMW 330e inverter

Post by johu »

Very nice documentation. You can always do openinverter control just have to add the additional circuitry like for gate drive power supply. Damien is also using SPI on his M3 replacement processor to talk to the gate drivers.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Martin1775

Re: Inside the BMW 330e inverter

Post by Martin1775 »

Yes, I think the configuration over the SPI bus will not the problem for use with the openinverter control, it is documented in the datasheet.

The gate driver supply should be get to work with alternating control of the mosfet's and regulated supply voltage (may be need of pwm), thats the next point I will test.

I'm unsure about the function of the µC on the driver board with the two extra driver's belong to it. It can be removed, but it would be nice when that is not need to dismount from the driver board to get it work.