Simp BMS

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
tom91

Re: Simp BMS

Post by tom91 »

m.art.y wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 am Thanks. Just wanted to ask how reliable the comms is between all the slaves and Simp master? Do we need to use shielded cable? Also how far can Simp be from the slaves - can it be 2-3 meters of cable? 😊
I cannot answer that, as it highly depends on so many other factors, Alot of people have had very little issues with reliability in all sorts of installations.
The OE Tesla installation utilizes unshielded twisted cables.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
sztanop

Post by sztanop »

Hi All,

I'm fighting with Simp BMS + Tccharger HK-H-H66-25 can bus version (Lithium) + CAB sensor + 2 Tesla modules serially connected.
Battery is seend by Simp BMS, voltages, temp, etc all fine.
CAB sensor works fine, I see the drawn amperes.
Charger does not start.
Both Tccharger + and CAB sensor on the same can bus, resistance is about 57 ohms, terminated both at Tccharger + Cab sensor. Wires are max 30 cm long. Simp BMS is at the middle of line.
The situation is that, the charger flashes red-green-red, what means wrong communication.
CAN GND is connected to simp bms GND, CANH, and CANL to SIMP BMS CANH and CANL too.
I have included in the box 4 pcs of signal connector pins. What is the fourth wire what must be / can be connected? Enable? That should be earthed or?
In manual says enable and can bus cannot existing at the same time.
Or maybe I bricked the charger?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

sztanop wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:06 pm Hi All,

CAN GND is connected to simp bms GND, CANH, and CANL to SIMP BMS CANH and CANL too.
Is the charged speced to be at 500kbps like the CAB300 sensor? Please turn on canbus debugging to see if the charger is sending any messages on the bus.
tom91

Firmware Update

Post by tom91 »

I have made the following changes to the firmwares for the SimpBMS V2:
1- SOC calculations utilising cell voltages now looks at the Lowest Cell voltage
2-When the SimpBMS detects a loss of power it saves the last known SOC to EEProm so it can start at that SOC on next power on.

All the versions have been published on github.
sztanop

Post by sztanop »

Hi,

the current sensor is a CAB500, what is working fine. (@ 500 kbps, but that is another question I think)
Tried to set the can bus speed to 250, 500, and no data is seen on the can bus, by can bus debug option. (I'll check today with an oscilloscope,unfortunately analogue only) if I see something. Tried to set can bus timing 100 ms, 500 ms, 1000 ms, but did not helped.
The only info is red-green-red, what is wrong communication by tccharger sparse manual.
The charger is a HK-H-H66-25 02CAN1000/S-001, which is 250kbs version as far as I know.
The charger may be bricked, I made a short circit, the houseing was in contact with the ground, and became 48V battery voltage too. I think the current flow was thru the metallic case only, but noone knows...

The only question is, I have four pins enclosed. CAN H, CANL, Can GND, and what is the fourth to use?
The 12V is an input or output? (No voltage is on the pin)
Do I need to connect it to 12V?

Best

Peter
tom91

Post by tom91 »

sztanop wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:17 am The charger is a HK-H-H66-25 02CAN1000/S-001, which is 250kbs version as far as I know.
The only question is, I have four pins enclosed. CAN H, CANL, Can GND, and what is the fourth to use?
So you can see the information from the current sensor at 500kbps? So you know the canbus net work is good?

You cannot leave the current sensor connected or any other items running at different canbus speed.
sztanop

Post by sztanop »

tom91 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:30 am
sztanop wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:17 am The charger is a HK-H-H66-25 02CAN1000/S-001, which is 250kbs version as far as I know.
So you can see the information from the current sensor at 500kbps? So you know the canbus net work is good?

You cannot leave the current sensor connected or any other items running at different canbus speed.
Of course not, tried the BMS can bus connected to the charger and only the charger, with can sensor disconnected. (bus was terminated)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

sztanop wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:01 am Of course not, tried the BMS can bus connected to the charger and only the charger, with can sensor disconnected. (bus was terminated)
I do not know how this charger gets its "12V" ground so that might be causing issue. Have you provided the Charger AC power, on the other larger 3kw and 6.6kw as soon as you give it AC power it spits out canbus messages.

Possible routes to come to a conclusion:
  • Incorrect wiring to charger - try swapping high and low, figure out 12v ground
  • Try different canbus speeds, check simpbms canbus works with a known working can devices
sztanop

Post by sztanop »

tom91 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:17 am
sztanop wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:01 am Of course not, tried the BMS can bus connected to the charger and only the charger, with can sensor disconnected. (bus was terminated)
I do not know how this charger gets its "12V" ground so that might be causing issue. Have you provided the Charger AC power, on the other larger 3kw and 6.6kw as soon as you give it AC power it spits out canbus messages.

Possible routes to come to a conclusion:
  • Incorrect wiring to charger - try swapping high and low, figure out 12v ground
  • Try different canbus speeds, check simpbms canbus works with a known working can devices
I'll borrowed an oscillioscope, so I'll see more... thank you anyway.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

arturk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:51 pm
tom91 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:25 pm I have now create new firmware rolling nearly all the changes upto SimpCharge Support into the BMWPhev firmware. This means the IVTS shunts board casting on ids 0x521, 0x522, 0x523 are supported.

firmware found: https://github.com/Tom-evnut/BMWPhevBMS

Please remember to check and redo all settings as this is a major revision. Please feedback any bugs found.
Awesome, thanks a lot Tom!
I will report back if I run into any issues.

Hi Tom,

I have looked everywhere trying to get my Board to work with the IVT

I think i got it working but obviously there is a config issue.

I got a new Sensor connected and initialized by using Damien's script,
and i can get reading out of it from CAN receiver and it is working precisely as it should

Now I'm trying to get it to play nice with Simp but cant get it it work.

here is my system

It is SIMP ( BMW PHEV ) rev = 220531;
Every thing is working great with the Battery Pack i got all the info correctly and all 96 cells are reporting voltage Temp and delta.

it is connected to the can Wires where the BMW slave BMSs are.
Resistance between Can Hi and Can Low is 61 Ohm so it is terminated correctly.

When i toggle the can debug i can see the Current sensor frames both when there is no current and when there is 10 A going through it.
see attached Pictures.

my settings for the current sensor is obviously CAN Bus and the current sensor is IsaScale

but nothing shows on the Current debug nor the Current number on the screen.

So what im doing wrong ?

What parameters i need to initialize ? like what can speed the Current sensor needs to be ? it is now at 500K
Current message id is 0x521 which matches the code, i checked the source file and it is working.
IVT_ No Current.PNG
IVT_ 10A.PNG
I appreciate the help and support for the DIY community.

Karim
Hammer, Duct tape, WD-40 that`s it :D
1973 Beetle with SDU swap.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

7yatna wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:03 am I have looked everywhere trying to get my Board to work with the IVT

Karim
Karim, Thank you for pointing this out a coding error slipped in. I was calling for the wrong canbus message structure in this version. rxBuf instead of inMsg.buf

Will check and update all versions where required.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

Hi Tom,

Glad that we found the culprit, i did actually found couple of minor little things and fixed them on the fly as well but it was not affecting the Functionality of the BMS it was more of cosmetics and related to the screen data, but i didn't want to play with the CAN commands and was pretty sure that critical functions are solid and way above my head.

For instance the Status was not updating on the Screen due to an extra termination Command for the Nextion Display was added which some how affected only the Status Variable,

as well the balance variable wasn't updated at all so i figured a way to show me if the BMS is balancing or not on the screen.

If you remember our conversation on email i planned to make a double SIMP Bms which i did and prototyped one and made a custom translator for a cheap analog sensors

i got 2 500 A analog sensors for 32 Dollars shipped both, only they weren't plug an play and needed some supporting HW.

i did rev 2.0 of my Double SImp BMS and PCBs are arriving from china this Friday

Will definitely share the Documents and update with you after all it is your design and code just i tweaked it a little.
Hammer, Duct tape, WD-40 that`s it :D
1973 Beetle with SDU swap.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

i've searched this thread without success...

I'm in a situation where i would like to use my already integrated ISA Shunt as well as powertrain pre-charge system, managed by Damien's Leaf VCU, with the SimpBMS.

So, pre-charge the inverter + charger, then charge using the main +/- in the junction box while having the drive mode locked out. in this way i do not need the SimpBMS to manage precharge, but i need it to pull current values from the ISA CAN.

Has anyone done it this way? or is this dumb for some reason i haven't foreseen. Just looking for real basic charger on/off control and to use existing contactors + precharge + current sensor.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You are using alot of words to describe:

The SimpBMS is not in control of the contactors. Thus cannot disconnect the pack in case of an imminent overcharge event.

It will be on the same canbus network as the ISA-shunt (if you run stock can messages) this will work if configured correctly.

There is a dedicated output 12V that does charger on off, which can be wired to whatever you need to turn the charge on and off.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

ok, im really sorry Tom. I just found "Wiring contactors into BMS or Not" section in the manual. I knew of the relay charger control, which i have already configured.

I'll come back when i have real problems! thanks
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Was expecting this would be a good test:

Can I not run the SimBMS off the usb alone? That's by best guess as to why i can't get out of status 5. I have 5v on the Tesla connector and have triple checked the Tx Rx connections. As well, I've configured the BMS with correct cell counts and such.

I am not using any temp sensors so i've set those limits to -200-200C. maybe that's a bad idea.
PXL_20220712_184339370.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You check the serial debug first?

Try swapping TX and RX for the display.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

i think after referencing the wiring for the 30th time. the Rx and Tx might be switched. i'll be checking that soon.

now im sure i have the module boards wired with 4/9 = In, and 2/7 = out. the swapping wire colors i think threw me off :?

but if i just switch them, i'll be reading cells 7-12, then 1-6. would that still work? I feel like you should be reading them sequentially.
Screenshot 2022-07-12 133543.jpg
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

tom91 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:23 pm You check the serial debug first?

Try swapping TX and RX for the display.
I did check the serial debug and there were a bunch of 0s. i can't say i paid a ton of attention to it so far :oops:

swapped the display serial connections and, yes! it's clearly reading the BMS now. i did this with a USB powerbank, but i'll get my lap top out there next.
PXL_20220712_204101111.jpg
i'll also re-wire another set of boards to correct the Tx Rx there.

thanks for your help Tom!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Success! Now for 84 more cells
PXL_20220712_214006730.jpg
PXL_20220712_213955823.jpg
tom91

ID3 ID4 MEB Battery Supported

Post by tom91 »

I would say that SimpBMS now fully supports the MEB batteries with the OEM CMCs.

https://github.com/Tom-evnut/VW-bms

Figured out the missing temperature feedback value on the canbus.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

that's good news! maybe i can make my VW more VAG and less Merc + Tesla in the future.
raine

Re: ID3 ID4 MEB Battery Supported

Post by raine »

tom91 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:50 pm I would say that SimpBMS now fully supports the MEB batteries with the OEM CMCs.
Great. Works like a charm.
2743E56A-ECE8-448A-959C-EDD6383F7B1F.jpeg
Good job Tom!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

This probably isn't anything to do with the SIMP bms. But I thought I would try here first.

I have simp BMS running on 15 tesla Model s slave boards. Getting communication with all boards minus temperature. However I am getting one cell reading very low (cell 42 in module 8, 2.92v) which is a bit confusing. When I measure the cell manually with a multimeter I get 3.69v just like all the other cells around it. I have also taken readings from the pcb board of the tesla board just in case there was a dodgy connection between the cell wire and the board, same value of 3.69v.

Oddly it isn't showing any undervoltage errors which it should I think as the under voltage limit is set at 3v.

I'm guessing maybe the tesla board itself is the issue. I'm thinking of putting some charge into it or running the motor a small bit. Maybe a change in voltage will jog it, but that seems unlikely. Has anyone else come across this sort of thing before?
2022-07-21 17_23_40-Window.png
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

1)First step is the wireing inside the tesla module itself.
measure on the BMS board all voltages instead on the cells.

2) Try swapping the BMS board with another one. Does the issue move allong with the board?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.