Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Kevin Sharpe

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The Open Vehicle Monitoring System ("OVMS") provides remote monitoring and control of CAN based vehicles;

www.openvehicles.com

The OVMS hardware/software/apps are all open source and it has a vibrant community developing, supporting, and using the system. I've used it daily for many years and find it especially useful for monitoring and controlling EV charging when away from home.

I was delighted today to hear that Zero EV intend to support OVMS and have put out a request for development help (presumably paid). This is important because their Tesla solution is based on Open Inverter and once they support OVMS we should all benefit 8-)

If you're a software developer looking for a way into EV development then OVMS could be a very useful introduction :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Open Vehicle Monitoring System

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

A couple of examples vehicles supported by OVMS today... the iMIEV and e-NV200 (Leaf) 8-)
IMG_20190428_160934.jpg
IMG_20190428_160945.jpg
IMG_20190428_163114.jpg
IMG_20190428_163042.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

and a small selection of the data that's extracted from the vehicle and available on the OVMS server...
IMG_20190428_162856.png
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Glyn Hudson (here) recently gave a presentation about OVMS, Emoncms, and OpenEVSE integration. The slides (here) include a good overview of OVMS and how Glyn used it during his recent trip from UK to Spain in a e-NV200 camper van conversion 8-)

I can also recommend Glyn's videos for anyone dreaming of using their conversion for a road trip... here's an overview of the van :)

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I just wanted to confirm that New Electric Ireland will fund the development of the integration of OVMS with Open Inverter. We're using a young engineer who's keen to build a career in electric vehicles and they may well visit here with questions or need your help.

Obviously, all the work will be published as Open Source so that anyone can add this functionality to their vehicle if they wish 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Now we have the beginnings of a DBC file we hope to make some real progress with OVMS support 8-)

The OVMS github has recently published an updated README giving an overview of the project;

https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Ve ... g-System-3
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Looks like a really good project. Must admit I was a bit surprised to see them using Fasttech as a distributor :o.

For anyone who doesn't know Fasttech are one of the more reliable chinese sites. I've personally boosted their profits by a fair amount over the last few years...
sfk

Post by sfk »

So this is a CAN interface for maindtream EVs? Does that mean a specific car has to have support written in or is it user configurable? I'm just wondering about Frankenstein EV conversions...
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

sfk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 am So this is a CAN interface for maindtream EVs? Does that mean a specific car has to have support written in or is it user configurable? I'm just wondering about Frankenstein EV conversions...
Historically OVMS needed code development to support vehicles. However, OVMS is moving to a CAN DBC reader approach where it will support any vehicle that has a DBC file (some work will be required to map messages). Now we have the beginnings of an Open Inverter DBC 'standard' we'll be able to support our vehicles easily... both my Bus and Damien's Der Panzer are first on the list (unless anyone else get's there first 8-) ).
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Great OVMS video :)

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

some progress towards a common DBC file which will hopefully simplify OVMS support 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=530&start=10#p6581
tom91

Post by tom91 »

I hope that my sharing of the previous suggestion for a template has been used for the power watcher.

There is no real reason for this to be any different is there? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=185&start=16
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

tom91 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 pm I hope that my sharing of the previous suggestion for a template has been used for the power watcher.
I can't comment on the power watcher development (I'm not involved) but I did pass on your DBC to the developer who was working on OVMS. Unfortunately, they got distracted by other projects and everything stalled until recently when a new OI forum member contacted me looking to help 8-)

Hopefully we will start making some progress now :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

OVMS Android App demo

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

General suggestions for adding support for a new vehicle to OVMS (here)
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Going through that list, I think we should start building a list of messages our firmware supports. So if anyone can point me to a list of CAN IDs and their possible values our firmware supports, it will be very helpful. I will look at the source in github in the mean time.
joromy

Post by joromy »

RE3Rotor wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 am I think we should start building a list of messages our firmware supports.
We have a list, but it's not very complete.... :?
https://openinverter.org/wiki/CAN_table_CAN_STD

The Simp BMS has standard CAN messages, probably updated soon in the list.
The openinverter has no standard CAN messages, you can config them at will, so everyone use different.

Feel free to suggest a CAN ID and message structure!!!
Will add a sign field, where you can enter your forum name, please do not delete any rows, just add new...
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

joromy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:23 am The openinverter has no standard CAN messages, you can config them at will, so everyone use different.

Feel free to suggest a CAN ID and message structure!!!
Will add a sign field, where you can enter your forum name, please do not delete any rows, just add new...
We should look into standardizing a set of basic/default IDs so we can implement OVMS to cover most of our conversions. Then the individuals can add customization to their own vehicle if they wish.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

I just cloned the source for OVMS. I am going to add an "Open Inverter (OI)" vehicle and build the source first. I need to buy the module before I can test out the code but will get myself familiarized with the code.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

RE3Rotor wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:46 pm I just cloned the source for OVMS. I am going to add an "Open Inverter (OI)" vehicle and build the source first. I need to buy the module before I can test out the code but will get myself familiarized with the code.
That's great news, many thanks :)

If you need help I can put you in touch with Glyn Hudson who made the video in this post;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=125&p=7138#p6764
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

OVMS has a shiny new website (here) 8-)
Screenshot 2020-02-29 at 16.54.46.png
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

RE3Rotor wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:46 pm I just cloned the source for OVMS. I am going to add an "Open Inverter (OI)" vehicle and build the source first. I need to buy the module before I can test out the code but will get myself familiarized with the code.
Did you make any progress with this?
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 pm Did you make any progress with this?
Sorry, a lot is happening in my life and had me pre-occupied. I am trying to get back on my routine.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Bumping this thread... if anyone is looking for a project during lockdown this is a good mix of hardware and software and will have a profound impact on our conversions 8-)
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Anyone built a barebones OVMS board with an ESP32 dev board? Too tight to spend £200 on one.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater