BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
SciroccoEV

Re: BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Post by SciroccoEV »

asavage wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:53 pm Also, would anyone care to enumerate the downside(s) of having the LIM's contactors connect to the HV battery on the HV side of the main contactors (the LIM's contactors would be HOT on one side at all times)? Other than not being able to run the DC-DC Converter? I don't think I'd want to do that, but I'm not immediately seeing why it couldn't be done.
The Mustang Mach-E has the rapid charge contactors connected direct to the battery I think, but they're internal to the battery pack and there is a seperate connector on the pack for rapid charging.

You really don't want permanently live lines outside the battery casing.
christoph

Post by christoph »

I recently got a LIM - just to make sure: I did connect CAN-H and CAN-L and +12V and GND. Am I supposed to get CAN bus messages from it?
asavage

Post by asavage »

SciroccoEV wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:05 pm You really don't want permanently live lines outside the battery casing.
That's what I was looking for, Thanks.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just added a log coding a brand new June 2022 dated virgin LIM :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/BMW-i3 ... mming/Logs
I'm going to need a hacksaw
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

tom91 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am Here are the two LIMs used the 2017 gave issues and the 2020 worked.

Will dig into the can captures to see if there are any differences.

IMG-20220701-WA0000.jpg
i'm planning to start playing with the CCS game also, i can buy a LIM with the number 61 35 6 828 052 from 2017. but i see that tom is having some issues with that one, and on the wiki page this number is not much known about. should I look for another LIM or do you think this one should work too?

@tom, I see you are also working on this project to make the LIM work. will this be in combination with the simpBMS or will it be a separate module? because I use a simpBMS so if this can be integrated that would be super handy.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

nathaniel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:44 pm @tom, I see you are also working on this project to make the LIM work. will this be in combination with the simpBMS or will it be a separate module? because I use a simpBMS so if this can be integrated that would be super handy.
Needs a canbus bridge module which I am working on.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

thats super nice. looking forward to see it working in the simp project. if i can do some testing for you maybe i can do that, please let me know. what is your opinion about the 61 35 6 828 052 LIM? do you think yours is a faulty one or is it just something with this specific partnumber LIM?
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

esys can communicate with the LIM directly via CAN, but there are only drivers for Vector CAN interfaces. Could an Arduino be programmed to appear to the PC as a vector device?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

muehlpower wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 am esys can communicate with the LIM directly via CAN, but there are only drivers for Vector CAN interfaces. Could an Arduino be programmed to appear to the PC as a vector device?
Yes and no, yes it can but no because you will need to program the client/driver side behavior and that's difficult.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Hi, can somebody tell me if it's possible to set custom charging power with the LIM? Say 25 kW? 😊
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

m.art.y wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:44 pm Hi, can somebody tell me if it's possible to set custom charging power with the LIM? Say 25 kW? 😊
Yes; its the way you limit charging when battery gets full etc. so yes.
I made a object/class in C++ to generate a lookup table for power vs battery voltage/soc etc.
its shared on this forum.
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

muehlpower wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:36 am No, I don't have a switch on the fuel filler flap. I simulate the fuel filler flap with the Arduino with a transistor to GND. My Chinese charge port switches a relay that switches the correct resistors to the LIM. The Arduino also receives and sends all CAN messages from the LIM, GEN 3 charger and the rest of the car. No Damien or Johannes board or software. By the way I have again Voltage sensing board if anyone is interested.
Hi Muehlpower, do you offer the Arduino code for others to use on our diy LIM dc fast charging system? So far I have collected the correct contactors and voltage sensing board from Larz and have now finally got the correct LIM and connectors so I'm upto the "control" stage... really hope you can share your knowledge with me. Cheers from Australia 🇦🇺
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You do know that I made all the information relating to the LIM and how to use it free and opensource :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/BMW-i3-CCS
and the software for the VCU that I sell that controls the LIM is also free and opensource:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu
I'm going to need a hacksaw
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

Absolutely, Damien you have done us all a massive service and continue to do so. Very much appreciated! Over here in Australia finding (sourcing from Europe) everything for the LIM project so far has been super expensive compared to if I were located closer to you guys. But I'm still very glad to be on the road to possibly fast charging my custom ev build eventually (massive thanks to you). But I have no need for all of the additional features of the zombie in my conversion as I'm running either an old DC drive train or a reclaimed Imiev motor&inverter that I don't believe the zombie supports?? (This could be the clincher).. my Zeva bms has can so if I can somehow use a "can bridge" device with some ability to port across the relevant current and charging limits etc 🤔 the Zeva bms has great functionality and touch screen programming of any device on the can bus... really hope to integrate as seamlessly as possible. Again thanks for all your support and of course I love the funny cat videos you make. Cheers from Australia 🇦🇺 🍻

Mike.
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
asavage

Post by asavage »

DkubusEV wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:57 am . . . and of course I love the funny cat videos you make.
That reminds me: I don't think I've seen the Gome cat since the move of the workshop to the barn. I tried Googling, "what happened to Damien's Gome cat?" but nothing related popped up. Google may be omniscient, but it sure didn't like my spelling of "Gome".

---

I am kind of in a similar skiff to MIke, as I have in mind to add CCS to my non-CCS (actually, no DCFC at all!) 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV, which is basically a very early Tesla Model S for design purposes.

In my case, I will need to activate the Tesla BMS, pumps, fans, etc. via both physical connections and CAN msgs, switch over the charge inlet's physical CP/PP lines from the Tesla OBC to the i3 LIM, then activate the LIM. Maybe listen to the Tesla BMS CAN and ask the LIM to tell the EVSE to dial back the current.

At first, I was thinking, "why buy such a versatile and Do-All board as the ZombieVerter, when I won't use a large fraction of its features", much as Mike said above, and I thought to just adapt the LIM-specific code from the STM32 to a simpler/less capable board -- such as a Due -- to avoid buying more hardware than I'll need.

But . . . is the ZombieVerter a less desireable hardware choice, just because it's so darn versatile? Sure, a Due + adaption parts is less Euros than the ZV, but in the larger picture, spending say €100 for a Due + a bespoke or adapted shield/CAN/line drivers vs €300 for the ZV that requires a whole lot less customization and very little software adaption . . . well, €200 is not much savings in the scope of my project, where I'm already sunk USD$600 on an i3 CCS inlet, LIM, connectors, contactors, voltage sense board, etc. all sitting here in a tote in my livingroom.

IOW: sure, a smaller/cheaper bespoke hardware interface for the BMW i3 LIM could be made for our niche cases, but the beauty/appeal of the ZV is that it can already do all these things, is not terribly large nor a whole lot more expensive than a start-from-scratch custom board, and it's already somewhat debugged. I can't buy a lot of debugging time for €200!

If building boards and debugging code is your hobby, then making a custom board et al is fun and rewarding, I get that, and I've done it, but if the goal is a bit higher-level (the driving-the-car bit), then chopping out a large intermediate step by purchasing someone else's labours . . . makes a good deal of sense. I don't enjoy the fiddly bits of discrete components and the debug console as much as I used to: BTDT.

---

I, too, have acquired a used "052" LIM like @tom91, so I'm keenly interested in any software variances needed to have it work with the ZV, eg the Contactors Weld Test, and I hope that either these LIM firmware differences can be accounted for in the ZV software, or alternatively that the barriers to update the LIM firmware* becomes substantially lower (currently: €150 €165to Damien to do it, or duplicate the hardware needed to do it, using his recipe, which is almost certainly more expensive for a one-shot).

* Now that I think on it, I'm not certain that the process Damien uses to "code" a new/virgin LIM actually provides/updates the firmware. Hmmm.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
evMacGyver

Post by evMacGyver »

tom91 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:41 am Be good to know if there is a message with vehicle locked status. So it inhibits unlocking while vehicle is locked, which the BMW I3 does.
I use original i3 charge port with lock motor. Central locking 2A0 seems not to be documented, so I looked at the logs and only first two bytes changes. I can get charge port in locked state with two different messages, either these will lock charging cable. Byte0 and byte1 in hex:

But I cannot get it unlock another than mechanical unlock. I tried all different options of 2A0 which I saw on logs:
88,88 normal state which is only ZombieVerter uses
21,22 will lock
22,22 nothing happens
33,33 nothing happens, I thought this was unlock
11,11 will lock

Lock status message 337 from LIM does not change anywhere from this:
FF,FF

I did not yet measure feedback resistances could it be wrong wiring. Or does unlock need some other messages to change too?
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

hi, i'm curious if damien test code https://github.com/damienmaguire/BMW-i3 ... _DC_V3.ino for DC fast charging is a working code that works with the latest updates that are in the VCU firmware? off course only regarding the CCS, reading the code i understand that it is more a prove of concept code but if it works then i can build on to it.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Had strange issue where the whole starting of charging commences normally and then once we are in the energy transfer section it get shutdown immediately.

Here is the log file: https://github.com/Tom-evnut/BMWI3_LIM_ ... p%2030.trc
image.png
If anyone can please cast a second pair of eyes at this log to see if I am missing something. I have not found any fault flags being thrown, wondering if it just is a dodgy ccs charger or an upset one.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Got another charger session having the same behaviour, must be that the LIM is sending something strange to the charger or that it is stopping it.
https://github.com/Tom-evnut/BMWI3_LIM_ ... p%2030.trc
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Here is a log where it allows a short charging session before it interrupts.
https://github.com/Tom-evnut/BMWI3_LIM_ ... p%2030.trc

I have compared all failed logs to the working successful log and the only differences are the countdown timers as the successful charge is longer.
The SOC, the failing ones are all below 40% SOC where the Successful one is just above 40%.

The successful charge session log
https://github.com/Tom-evnut/BMWI3_LIM_ ... %20Aug.trc

Bit of more background, after the successful charging log the vehicle was used frequently and fast charged frequently. It however suffered from a drained 12V battery and since does not really want to take dc fast charge as these logs show.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

If I have a moment this weekend I might load the logs in my toolbox and compare. Maybe something show up. What was changed to counter the 12Volt battery dead thing?

Is this charging canbus isolated from the rest?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

EV_Builder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:46 pm If I have a moment this weekend I might load the logs in my toolbox and compare. Maybe something show up. What was changed to counter the 12Volt battery dead thing?

Is this charging canbus isolated from the rest?
I do not know why the 12V died, I am not with the car.

Yes dedicated bus between my can bridge and the Lim. It would be good if you could lend your expertise.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

tom91 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:57 pm I do not know why the 12V died, I am not with the car.
Yes ok, i ask because maybe there was made a change since that event on the car.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm Yes ok, i ask because maybe there was made a change since that event on the car.
Yes I have asked for the whole installation to be inspected. The wierd part is the shutting down of charging is not consistent, so it does not happen when a certain voltage, current or time is reached.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

tom91 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:57 pm It would be good if you could lend your expertise.
See attachments.

Now the ! count means that in that message there where unique messages in comparison to the other side.

Now if you tell me what's important, or you check your owns logs i can expand that tree and you can figure the byte level differences.
(I realize i should add one day the DBC translation.. never short of ideas...)

At least you can cleanup on what's equal quite allot now.
tom91_compareCCS1.JPG
tom91_compareCCS2.JPG