BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
tom91

Re: BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Post by tom91 »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:53 pm See attachments.

Now the ! count means that in that message there where unique messages in comparison to the other side.

Now if you tell me what's important, or you check your owns logs i can expand that tree and you can figure the byte level differences.
(I realize i should add one day the DBC translation.. never short of ideas...)

At least you can cleanup on what's equal quite allot now.

tom91_compareCCS1.JPG

tom91_compareCCS2.JPG
I have done exactly this with savvy can and only found the items listed in one of my previous posts. Utilizing dbc so I could view variables that changed.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

tom91 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:24 pm I have done exactly this with savvy can and only found the items listed in one of my previous posts.
Which version do you use of savvycan?
tom91 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:24 pm Utilizing dbc so I could view variables that changed.
That could be tricky, if i remember correctly, if a var isn't in the DBC that changed...
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:35 pm Which version do you use of savvycan?

That could be tricky, if i remember correctly, if a var isn't in the DBC that changed...
That is why you do both, check how many bits have changed, then check is it corresponds with the location of the variables. I believe I done this with them will have another look again.

savvy can V207 june 22 2022
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

tom91 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:11 pm That is why you do both, check how many bits have changed, then check is it corresponds with the location of the variables. I believe I done this with them will have another look again.
That was not clear from your post.

Let know if you have another kind of idea i can implement that to compare logs.. :twisted:
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Good news everyone and not really.

Turns out the precharge resistor was deteriorating and causing leakage to ground. So the ofboard chargers threw isolation faults.

Now the wierd part, these faults were not consistently reported by the BMW Lim onto the canbus or by the chargers on their own displays.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Hello everyone, I just joined, I am very delighted with the work you have done. I want to try to install on my electric car from China BYdDolphin, the European charging port of CCS2.
CCSknowitall

Post by CCSknowitall »

tom91 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:55 pm Good news everyone and not really.

Turns out the precharge resistor was deteriorating and causing leakage to ground. So the ofboard chargers threw isolation faults.

Now the wierd part, these faults were not consistently reported by the BMW Lim onto the canbus or by the chargers on their own displays.
The LIM is not responsible for Isolation monitoring. That’s likely handled by the BMS and communicated over CAN.

The chargers not communicating properly is unfortunately common for two reasons: 1) Poor HMI. 2) The charger is monitoring isolation resistance (and for most, chassis capacitance) of the entire system (car + cable + charger) and can’t locate the fault location. It could also be a combo of marginal charger and marginal car. So the error kind of has to be vague as the fault could arise from ether side.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

CCSknowitall wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:00 am The LIM is not responsible for Isolation monitoring. That’s likely handled by the BMS and communicated over CAN.

The chargers not communicating properly is unfortunately common for two reasons: 1) Poor HMI. 2) The charger is monitoring isolation resistance (and for most, chassis capacitance) of the entire system (car + cable + charger) and can’t locate the fault location. It could also be a combo of marginal charger and marginal car. So the error kind of has to be vague as the fault could arise from ether side.
There is no working isolation monitoring on the car, to ensure it does not upset any off board charger. The LIM passes the charger info onto the canbus, that is where it gets weird as the LIM does not report the Isolation fault in certain cases except for the one where the charger shows the error on the HMI.
CCSknowitall

Post by CCSknowitall »

It’s possible that the stations are just doing a normal or emergency shutdown without reporting isolation fault.

I recommend having isolation monitoring on your vehicle, and disabling it only during DC charging.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

CCSknowitall wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:48 pm I recommend having isolation monitoring on your vehicle, and disabling it only during DC charging.
Correct approach indeed, customer is sourcing an isolation monitoring device but want to do testing as soon as possible.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Hello.Here I have a question: Why does Lim use Wake up signal +12V (ignition, contact 15). If the BMW i3 is charging both with the ignition on and off.
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

Eltis wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:12 am Hello.Here I have a question: Why does Lim use Wake up signal +12V (ignition, contact 15). If the BMW i3 is charging both with the ignition on and off.
I think this is the answer to your question ...
Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:17 pm Wake up in the i3 works the same as in most modern bmws (and I'm sure others). How I implemented it is not really correct. Its more of a holdover from bench testing when I was working out the can. Any module can wake all the other modules either by can on 0x12f or via the hardware wake up line. If the LIM is asleep it will wake itself on the insertion of a charge plug or the opening of the charge port door. It will then pump out wake up via can and put 12v on the hardware wakeup line. Also, if the LIM is asleep and sees a can or hardware wakeup it will wake and start doing LIM things until it is allowed to sleep. This behaviour can be observed in the i3 logs on the ccs github page. How I implement it in the vcu is kinda crude as the LIM is kept awake all the time when it really doesnt need to be. Another piece of cleanup when I get back to ccs.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Thank you.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Battery current "LSB"
Battery current "MSB"
Hello. Can you please explain what these abbreviations mean?
sorry for the stupid question
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Eltis wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:16 pm Battery current "LSB"
Battery current "MSB"
Hello. Can you please explain what these abbreviations mean?
sorry for the stupid question
Least significant byte and most significant byte.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Thank you.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Hello. Who thinks what? If I_limit is not used in group 2f1. In lim 2013-2014. How can I find out the maximum limits that can be requested from the station? For example, the station can issue only 100A. Not to ask her for more.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Eltis wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:09 am For example, the station can issue only 100A. Not to ask her for more.
The Charge will never deliver more then its limit. I do not know if the LIM listens to the charger and only asks upto the limit or the charger just ignores any request above the limit.

LIM canbus message 29E has the I_Available, the charger max current
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

All of this is clearly visible in the VC code and in the videos I made on the development.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:23 am All of this is clearly visible in the VC code and in the videos I made on the development.
Correct, and this has been independently verified by myself through testing with multiple serial numbers and generations of the LIM.
I even did a full VC code review because I wanted to run it on my own hardware, so had to modify where data came from not the logic. The Logic loop works.

Key here is YOU are responsible for making sure the whole charging system can handle the requested current including the batteries. YOU need a way of telling it to reduce power if required for what ever reason, battery temperature charge port temp ect. The LIM does as its told by YOU (the vehicle) and the offboard charger.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Eltis wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:10 pm Hello everyone, I just joined, I am very delighted with the work you have done. I want to try to install on my electric car from China BYdDolphin, the European charging port of CCS2.
This is the wrong thread to ask questions about this please start a new thread. You will need to fully decode the canbus information from the vehicle relating to the battery. Worst of all you can run into a situation where the vehicles ground fault monitoring will prevent you from ever being able to fast charge.
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

I have already done it and deciphered the canbus of my car. I started to make him friends with the house. The protocols are very similar. Only different id.
christoph

Post by christoph »

Hello,

I got my LIM talking to me and apparently even to the charging station. The lock mechanism seems to work since the station tells me different things depending on the lock state. So far the good news!

Unfortunately I'm stuck at the 0x272 byte 2. The value is 0x72. The 2 is the the charge flag state which seems to be the error state. Now I wonder how this ever can be. It should be either open or closed. Did it fell of? ;-) j/k. The wiki says:

4B-12 COV_FB Charge Port Cover Feedback (connect to GND to simulate open cover[9])(To be left floating for contactors weld test)

I left it floating which should mean closed cover, no? I.e. I did not connect anything. Is that correct? What else could be wrong?

If I see it right I need it to turn the 2 into a 0 for the weld test to start?
Eltis

Post by Eltis »

Hello. Who can sell me a charge inlet voltage sense board? The contacts listed in the wiki are dead.
my WhatsApp+380675302867
tom91

Post by tom91 »

christoph wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 am 4B-12 COV_FB Charge Port Cover Feedback (connect to GND to simulate open cover[9])(To be left floating for contactors weld test)

I left it floating which should mean closed cover, no? I.e. I did not connect anything. Is that correct? What else could be wrong?

If I see it right I need it to turn the 2 into a 0 for the weld test to start?

Yes, best is to have a switch on it. check it cycles on the canbus as you say. What is the reported contactor status? In the same message.