Minimum Voltage for Bench Test

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
bobbyj_408

Minimum Voltage for Bench Test

Post by bobbyj_408 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the great discussion! Learned a lot.

I am about to venture in the journey of buying a GS450h transmission, and I want to bench test the system with minimal voltage before I purchase a large battery. My question is, what kind of supply should I get for bench testing? What kind of voltage and current would I need to get the motor turning and verify all the subsystems. Or course, all this assumes that I have the appropriate inverter, and Damien's VCU.

Thanks!
mackoffgrid

Re: Minimum Voltage for Bench Test

Post by mackoffgrid »

I've not played with a GS450 before but from Damien's youtubes I think he has used quite low voltages such as 24v. So a couple of car batteries may get you going.
https://github.com/mackelec/SolarUte
meFDCAN Arduino Library 3 FDCAN port stm32G4xx
meCAN Arduino Library 2023 version 2/3 CAN port stm32F0xx, stm32F1xx, stm32F4xx, stm32L4xx
sfk

Post by sfk »

The original ni-mh battery pack from the same car would be pretty useful for bench testing I assume. Probably get it pretty cheap.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
bobbyj_408

Post by bobbyj_408 »

Great! I think I'll give two car batteries a shot. Fingers crossed!
ksdl

Post by ksdl »

Hi,
I appreciated the informative discussion.

I'm ready to embark on the process of purchasing a GS450h gearbox, and before I invest in a sizable battery, I want to bench test the system with a low voltage. What kind of supply should I purchase for bench testing is my query. What voltage and current would I require to switch on the motor and test each subsystem? I work as chair.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

ksdl wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:43 am What kind of supply should I purchase for bench testing is my query. What voltage and current would I require to switch on the motor and test each subsystem? I work as chair.
4 off 12V car batteries in series gives 48ish volts and I've used this for bench testing my GS450H systems and with the Zombie and some restricted setting for testing purposes, it spins up to approx 1200rpm