Leaf gear box nismo LSD

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Bratitude

Leaf gear box nismo LSD

Post by Bratitude »

@Londonelectriccars post on Instagram, got a leaf nismo lsd from Japan. so I did some digging. And found this:

https://www.nismo.co.jp/products/nismo_ ... 19.html#a2

Fits ze0 and ze1 gearbox

And supposedly the Serena and Note.

** update 2022-12-07

looks like aus and nz folks can buy this directly from nismo japan.

https://shop.nismo.co.jp/collections/ni ... sd-ze0-ze1
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
JaniK

Re: Leaf gear box nismo LSD

Post by JaniK »

Interesting :) thanks for sharing :)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
stuartd

Post by stuartd »

Thank you that’s brilliant information trying to make a transfer box at the moment for four-wheel-drive system in a van but that might be just what I need
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

stuartd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:53 am Thank you that’s brilliant information trying to make a transfer box at the moment for four-wheel-drive system in a van but that might be just what I need

I have replacement gear-sets in the works for the leaf gearbox, For this exact purpose!

sadly this nismo lsd is not the right kind for a 4x4 application, as it will not transfer torque when there is 100% slip. A ATB would be ideal, I’m taking measurements of the leaf diff to see if it a “standard “ Nissan diff,
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Tremelune

Post by Tremelune »

Has anyone ever...purchased one of these? My FWD Mini is a one-wheel-peel monster and I'd rather like it to just accelerate...

And since Bratitude is watching, any shorter final gearing in the works...? Probably not useful to anyone but me, but 65mph is very busy in this thing with 20" tires...Stock is about 8:1...I think I need like 6:1...
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Tremelune wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:30 pm Has anyone ever...purchased one of these? My FWD Mini is a one-wheel-peel monster and I'd rather like it to just accelerate...

And since Bratitude is watching, any shorter final gearing in the works...? Probably not useful to anyone but me, but 65mph is very busy in this thing with 20" tires...Stock is about 8:1...I think I need like 6:1...

I know a uk conversion shop has. Can’t recall whom. but you can buy them in Japan… so just need to find a dealer. Or weld the diff. 🤠😎

gear set is a 1:1 replacement for the intermediate gears, resulting in a 3.45:1…
HawkHP+

Post by HawkHP+ »

Bratitude , If any future plan to make reduction to something like 6:1 I am in for one.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

HawkHP+ wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:11 pm Bratitude , If any future plan to make reduction to something like 6:1 I am in for one.
if there's enough of a market for a set, ill look into it. im guessing for minis?
Bintang 5

Post by Bintang 5 »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:47 am I know a uk conversion shop has. Can’t recall whom. but you can buy them in Japan… so just need to find a dealer. Or weld the diff. 🤠😎

gear set is a 1:1 replacement for the intermediate gears, resulting in a 3.45:1…
@Bratitude: on your homepage you mention 4,35:1 as ratio for the replacement gears.
Which one is correct?
Is there already a date when these parts are approximately goint to be available?
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

Bratitude wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:18 pm I have replacement gear-sets in the works for the leaf gearbox, For this exact purpose!

sadly this nismo lsd is not the right kind for a 4x4 application, as it will not transfer torque when there is 100% slip. A ATB would be ideal, I’m taking measurements of the leaf diff to see if it a “standard “ Nissan diff,
Would be fine for a soft roader I would think - Audi Quattro used a Torsen centre diff (on the big longitudinal engined platforms like the Allroad/Q5 etc - not the transvers haldex system), and a Rangerover - though that is lockable, though it's quite capable before it need locking.
Agree if you plan on serious off roading/rock crawling not the best choice.
monabuild

Post by monabuild »

I have a good friend in japan that's in the JDM parts import/export business and im sure he would help get one of "nismo LSD" if someone is interested. If so please reach out and i can forward his contact info to ya..
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Bintang 5 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:17 am @Bratitude: on your homepage you mention 4,35:1 as ratio for the replacement gears.
Which one is correct?
Is there already a date when these parts are approximately goint to be available?

still a work in progress! but currently taking with a few different local gear shops. so hopefully soon!
monabuild wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:37 pm I have a good friend in japan that's in the JDM parts import/export business and im sure he would help get one of "nismo LSD" if someone is interested. If so please reach out and i can forward his contact info to ya..
you can get them direct from nismo to Australia and some parts of EU it looks like now.
Bintang 5

Post by Bintang 5 »

Bratitude wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:53 pm 4.35.
ok... thanks.
Was hoping it would be 3,45.
I am thinking about converting a small / light 4x4 car: a Suzuki SJ410 / SJ413 (Jimny/Samurai/Katana or whatever they were called in different markets).
I like the idea of getting rid of the combustion engine including gearbox and transfer case, and install the electric drive unit in place of the transfer case. I know the solution with the Tesla LDU including replacement gear and LSD, but a Tesla LDU would be complete overkill (regarding cost/power/torque) in such a small car, so a Nissan Leaf would be better. I think a Mitsubishi Outlander rear diff would fit even better than a Leaf, the "piled up" design of the Nissan Leaf Motor makes it somehow more challenging to fit under a car.

Anyway, considering Nissan Leaf with 4,35 reduction gear for my purpose:

With the stock Suzuki wheels (26") and the "longest" diff (3,7) I would end up with a maximum speed of only 74 km/h @ 10.500 rpm.
I could beef up the tires, but even with 31" I would "just" reach 100 km/h, but I want to use this car primarily onroad, so I don't think that such (relatively) large tires would be a good idea. I addition I am limited by the fact that I have to get the bigger tires road legal as well in my country.

How did you come up with the 1:4,35 ratio? Is this somehow given / constrained by the available space in the gearbox?
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Bintang 5 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:27 pm I think a Mitsubishi Outlander rear diff would fit even better than a Leaf, the "piled up" design of the Nissan Leaf Motor makes it somehow more challenging to fit under a car.
i thought about the outlander gearbox aswell. but im not sure there's a big enough market to justify it
Bintang 5 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:27 pm
How did you come up with the 1:4,35 ratio? Is this somehow given / constrained by the available space in the gearbox?
the intermediate gear to ring gear is 4.35. theres only enough room to fit a 1:1 from the input shaft to intermediate gear
olegil

Post by olegil »

the intermediate gear to ring gear is 4.35. theres only enough room to fit a 1:1 from the input shaft to intermediate gear
No hope of changing the final ratio? 71:20 should be same centerline distance as 74:17, no? Or is there absolutely no chance of shrinking the final gear? I realize there would be less splashing of oil, though. Maybe not a good idea.

And does your replacement gears fit both the EM57 and EM61 gearboxes?
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

6:1 gears does sound appealing for light cars though. I may find i have more torque than I can use with my build, and if that's the case it'd be nice to be able to gear up a bit. The goal being to extend the flat part of the torque curve as much as possible.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

olegil wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:57 am No hope of changing the final ratio? 71:20 should be same centerline distance as 74:17, no? Or is there absolutely no chance of shrinking the final gear? I realize there would be less splashing of oil, though. Maybe not a good idea.

And does your replacement gears fit both the EM57 and EM61 gearboxes?
you could, it would just start getting very expensive.

the goal is to have it work with both gearboxes \