Outlander PHEV to full EV

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
hermitdave

Outlander PHEV to full EV

Post by hermitdave »

I thought I already posted but can't see the post - maybe its being vetted

I would like to know if its possible to use convert Outlander PHEV into a full blown EV, replacing 12kWh battery pack with battery base and getting rid of the Engine / Fuel tank etc.
arber333

Re: Outlander PHEV to full EV

Post by arber333 »

hermitdave wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 am I thought I already posted but can't see the post - maybe its being vetted

I would like to know if its possible to use convert Outlander PHEV into a full blown EV, replacing 12kWh battery pack with battery base and getting rid of the Engine / Fuel tank etc.
I dont see why not. Just last month i discussed this with our inspector and he said i would do that with less problems than converting from gas to EV.
it has to do with type certification. Since hybrid is certified both as EV and as gas car you have everything legal available. Then if you remove gas engine and its support you just REMOVE legislation demands.

Usually i consider best options for dis-version (not conversion) to full EV cars that can drive in EV mode to full speed:
Outlander PHEV
Ampera/Volt hybrid
Lexus GS450h
Volvo V60/S60 Recharge
Volvo XC60 Recharge
Any other?

A
hermitdave

Post by hermitdave »

arber333 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 am
hermitdave wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 am I thought I already posted but can't see the post - maybe its being vetted

I dont see why not. Just last month i discussed this with our inspector and he said i would do that with less problems than converting from gas to EV.
it has to do with type certification. Since hybrid is certified both as EV and as gas car you have everything legal available. Then if you remove gas engine and its support you just REMOVE legislation demands.

Usually i consider best options for dis-version (not conversion) to full EV cars that can drive in EV mode to full speed:
Outlander PHEV
Ampera/Volt hybrid
Lexus GS650h
Volvo V60/S60 Recharge
Volvo XC60 Recharge
Any other?

A
Thank you. I suppose the next question is why hasn't it been done ? I suppose besides being able to retrofit larger battery, one would need to manage BMS / CAN to ensure updated capacity is reflected. Besides that all Plugin Hybrids are ready - Outlander can easily do 70mph on electric
seanyt

Post by seanyt »

The main component is the PHEV ECU, many people trick the can-bus system so the ICE engine doesnt start and it stays in EV mode for longer than normal. I would test with the ice engine still present but with some of the ICE electronics removed like engine ecu unplugged and confirm you dont get any crazy messages.

While keeping it in EV mode with the likes of the vtech box to ensure it doesnt ever try start the ICE and leave you stranded in limp.
The outlander heavily relies on can-bus to control the complete hybrid system. So i definitely see this plausible with some added effort

Once your sure you can keep it in EV mode, then remove the complete ICE system and fill up those spaces with batteries.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

A poster on here has figured out the CAN messages for both the inverters and charger. I've also used the charger and dc:dc converter. As per above you should be able to replace the phev ecu with your own ecu and communicate with the inverters / chargers.

If you could fit a second outlander pack in the engine bay that would give you close to 24kwhrs, but it's a big heavy vehicle so expect about 80km range with both packs.

All schematics are freely available also
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Dilbert wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 pm A poster on here has figured out the CAN messages for both the inverters and charger. I've also used the charger and dc:dc converter. As per above you should be able to replace the phev ecu with your own ecu and communicate with the inverters / chargers.

If you could fit a second outlander pack in the engine bay that would give you close to 24kwhrs, but it's a big heavy vehicle so expect about 80km range with both packs.

All schematics are freely available also
Well it seems like Li battery gets smaller and smaller and capacity gets bigger. For eyample 1/2 pack from Jaguar weighs only about 180kg (naked cells) and volumetrical is smaller than my Kokam SLPB125255255 cells in mazda which weighs 220kg. Those were state of the art in 2014 with about 90L for the whole pack of 96S cells 30kWh and now Jag LG chem cells are 105l for 45kWh!
Maybe we should think of how to fit those newer cells into old trays. BMS wont know the difference in voltage if we reconnect wires correctly...
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ah, see you've got me thinking now. I reckon I could get a 40kWh Jag pack (2.4l/kWh) in the battery space on my Ampera... :twisted:
arber333

Post by arber333 »

clanger9 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm Ah, see you've got me thinking now. I reckon I could get a 40kWh Jag pack (2.4l/kWh) in the battery space on my Ampera... :twisted:
Yes this is what i am thinking of 8-). But my wife wont let me touch her Ampera. I managed to convince her to add cables to Ampera battey though and i came to some good data. For now i just added another small batery in the back. But there are problems with BMS after a short trip. I will need to add a contactor and transistor between packs. Also for truly autonomous operation i will need battery heating in the back. I am thinking of using 700W Ampera battery heater because i can just fit it inline on one of the hoses.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=884

EDIT: My next challenge is how to firmly fit Volt gen2 battery in the trunk of Ampera with coolant pump, heater and simple thermostat set to active below +5°C. I see that Volt heater comes with thermocouple already fitted. It might be very handy unit... 700W and calculated to HV application.
Anyone knows a compact thermostat for +5°C operation with set of on/off contacts? I would very much like an off the shelf sensor...