[DRIVING] 1978 VW T2 Camper

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
DaveH

[DRIVING] 1978 VW T2 Camper

Post by DaveH »

I'm starting a new thread for my project. It will be a while before I make any progress but I've just put the engine up for sale.

This marks the point of no return!

IMG_3071.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG
JaniK

Re: 1978 VW T2 Camper

Post by JaniK »

You will propably get good money from that type4 engine to get you a nice electric motor!

Good luck!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I don't have the facilities to fold or weld metal for my project, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone to do it for me? I'm thinking of battery boxes and and a motor mount.

I originally thought that a Leaf motor would be best, but having thought about it a lot, a Tesla SDU would be a lot better as it means I would be able to mount half my battery pack where the engine used to be and still keep the same weight distribution. It would also be lighter overall. So ideally I would want to buy a mount (and maybe driveshafts as well) from someone who has done a VW/Tesla mount before. See deadsled's project for example viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1082. Kevin has an SDU in his bus as well, but it's a full subframe conversion so a lot more complicated.

The current state of the project is a rolling shell that is stripped down above floor level. Once I have finished pulling out the rest, it will need welding and painting before I can start reassembly.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Ask if deadsled could send you the mount. It would propably be much easier to pay a little more on postage and taxes to get ready part, than try to design and have it made by someone else.

I have welding equipment and still most of the time goes to thinking how will I do this. Welding is propably the fastest part of the process..

Zeroev has tesla drive shaft stumps that you could use to fit stock bus axles with bigger 108mm cv joints. ;)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Good point, not just welding but making anything is like that. Measure, mark out, make jigs, it's a long process for a one-off part. Also, the first time you make something it's never quite right and you think of lots of improvements for the next time.

I have sold the engine now, £1300. Just waiting for the guy to collect it.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Cool, old engine pays for the electric motor :)
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

No electrification yet, but time for an update. The shell is going to Edubs in Boroughbridge for restoration and fabrication of motor mount and battery box.
IMG_3177.JPG
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

How is your project going? It's exciting for me each time a T2 gets converted. 😊
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Still waiting for the restorers to become available to start the bodywork, so no progress yet. I've also been really busy at work (started a new job on 1 Feb) so I haven't had time to do anything myself.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

After almost a year at Edubs, including body restoration at Herbie Hospital, I have my shell back with drive unit and battery box completed. We were able to 'drive' it into my workshop under its own power.
IMG_3370.jpeg
Main battery box. This has 12 of the 16 Calb modules (35kWh total). Uses the ZeroEV cooling plates. Orion BMS. In front of where the left light cluster goes is the charger and DC/DC. On the right hand side is two radiators, one for the battery and the other for the drive unit.
IMG_3523.jpeg
This is the smaller battery box that goes where the fuel tank was. The main box sits on the same subframe that the drive unit is slung under.
IMG_3333.jpeg
Drive unit.
IMG_3526.jpeg
I've also started building the state of charge display that will go in place of the old fuel gauge and also drive a couple of analog gauges and the oil/gen lights. It will have an Adafruit OLED display with a Teensy 3.2 underneath.
Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 16.34.58.png
A lot of work still to do!
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

This looks awesome!
Mind sharing what kind of radiators and fans you have there?
If I understood correctly, you placed 2 radiators in the small pocket, behind the rear light stack. Seems tight, no?
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I don’t know what radiators and fan they are, but they are small and mounted back to back. I need to put the 12V battery somewhere else, as it wouldn’t be possible to get it in or out with the main battery box in place.
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

DaveH wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:05 pm I don’t know what radiators and fan they are, but they are small and mounted back to back. I need to put the 12V battery somewhere else, as it wouldn’t be possible to get it in or out with the main battery box in place.
I'm super curious to see the radiators setup. Could you please post some pictures?
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

IMG_3538.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg
Can't get any better pictures than this with the battery in place. Hope this gives you some idea.
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

That's super tight! Thanks for sharing.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

A little update.

I finished the SOC display module. The hardware tests out ok, no proper code written yet.
IMG_3594.jpeg
Here is the before and after where it replaces the fuel gauge. The display isn't as wide as the hole in the panel so it doesn't look as neat as I would have liked, but should be ok when in the dash without any light showing through.
IMG_3593.jpeg
IMG_3592.jpeg
I also made/had made a bracket for the pedal (just needs painting). Test fitted with the BMW bracket and it all goes together really well, I was even able to use two of the original pedal mounting holes at the heel end. If anyone wants one of these brackets for a similar project let me know, I've got 2 spare.
IMG_3622.jpeg
IMG_3625.jpeg
Lots of wiring done (must be at least twice as much wire as in the original vehicle :lol: )
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

IMG_3667.jpeg
Wiring is all done now and wheels turning. This is the under-dash loom before I put the dash back in. Not long before road test time.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I got the bus on the road in October. Most of my spare time over the winter has been spent programming, it's still too cold to be working outside for my liking. Managed a few test drives, one was the 60 mile round trip to the office.
IMG_0022.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg
I had a DVLA inspection this week. The engineer was happy with what he saw, so hopefully I will get the vehicle re-registered as an EV.

Here are some photos of the instrumentation. I've done all I want to do on it for now.
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg
The oil light is on because it's not in drive mode. When you start the inverter up the light goes off. The temperature here is the battery temperature. I've also implemented a range estimation but not tested it for accuracy yet.
IMG_0048.jpeg
Gauges are, from left to right: 12V battery, power (+/-), inverter temperature. 12V is just a normal analog gauge. The others are driven off the instrument controller. Temperature in C scales 1:1 to PSI on the gauge. The power gauge (was oil temp) doesn't have a useful scale so it's just a guide.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

It is so clean. Very nice project. Is this going to have camper interior later?
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

It is going to have a new camper interior. The old one was mostly 44 years old and in bad shape. A lot of work to do yet!
DaveH

Re: [DRIVING] 1978 VW T2 Camper

Post by DaveH »

I've fitted a vacuum pump for the brakes. This photo is before connecting the hose to the servo. It works but I'm not happy about the lack of hysteresis in the switch (i.e. the pump runs for a very short time every few seconds and every time you apply the brakes). I got another make of switch but it wasn't much of an improvement. It will have to do for now.

Most of the parts were supplied by Fellten as a kit. The pump is an unbranded Hella copy.
IMG_0099.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Maybe the sensor I sell would be a good replacement for the switch. https://citini.com/product/threaded-vac ... ng-module/

It has a solid state switching output and a micro controlled hysteresis of 25kPa
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

That would work a lot better Tom, assuming I can get 75kPa with my system. The switch I have adjusts up to 90kPa and the pump won't stop with that setting. Do you have the dimensions of the module and 1/4" adapter?
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

Could you please share your SDU parameters? Maybe add to the common DB...
https://openinverter.org/parameters/
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

alexbeatle wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:45 pm Could you please share your SDU parameters? Maybe add to the common DB...
https://openinverter.org/parameters/
Hi Alex, sorry for the very late reply. I don't know if it would make sense to share my parameters as I have a specific firmware build from ZeroEV/Fellten, not the main openinverter code.