SmartED using Prius Gen3 Inverter

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
arber333

Re: SmartED using Prius Gen3 Inverter

Post by arber333 »

Can you at least open original inverter and take some photos of insides. It will give us some idea if logic section is separate from driver secton or not.
In that case maybe it is hackable with rev3 main board directly...

I found an interesting blog in hungarian language. Use Google translate...
https://villanyautosok.hu/2018/04/06/sm ... -2012-bms/

https://villanyautosok.hu/2018/04/30/sm ... r-javitas/

https://villanyautosok.hu/2018/01/31/le ... eti-tolto/
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

Smart motor is separate from inverter but close by. Yes, the prius inverter will work very well but can the VCU mod be the only mod necessary to get car working?? I'm reflecting on DM's recent comments re VCU mod being all encompassing. This would save me a lot of work, lol.

to arber333:

Just seeing your post now. I received a spare Smart inverter from the San Diego scrapyard. Haven't opened the box yet but anticipated that no one yet has pursued liberating the Smart ED3 thus having a spare on my bench would prove useful and avoid having to crawl back under that car (makes me dizzy). Dealer says parts chart calls the inverter a "battery charger unit" and the VCU a "Power Train Control Unit". This VCU is at rear on the passenger side according to the chart. I will need to order a spare VCU since this might be modified in future. Meanwhile asap I'll open the inverter and record the space available for a logic board and itemize the MOSFET etc.
--
More dramamine, Ma!
lorddevereux

Post by lorddevereux »

Hi, first post for me! I'm also planning to use this motor but in its Hybrid4 Peugeot/Citroen form where it was mounted in the rear subframe. My plan is to transplant the whole subframe into a C5, upgrade the battery from the original NiMh 200V 1.1kWh to a 175V pack of 4 BMW i3 cells. Then to program the control strategy to use the system as an engine-assist to (at least in the short term) avoid the problems of electric vacuum pumps and AC associated with ZEV mode!

I'm going to use the OEM Peugeot Hybrid4 inverter. Its a Bosch INVCON 2.3 - with some hackery as it is basically 2 inverters in one (one for the on-engine SMG 138/80 generator and one for the SMG 180/120 traction motor) as well as a DC/DC converter to make 12V for the LV side. It's quite an impressive piece of kit for its size.

I'm fairly familiar with CAN comms for PSA vehicles and it seems like controlling it won't be too much of a nightmare (going to run it on an isolated CAN network and spoof the necessary data).

Anyway, keen to see how others progress with an open-source inverter, and though I'm still at the collect-parts-and-designs stage contribute any way I can :)
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

To open SmartED inverter requires a penta-allen wrench which I can either make or just grind a slot across this plug to extract it. The other plugs require a knurled rod or, again, I'll just grind a slot to unscrew them. Four plugs cover up security straps which keep box together. So by June I can get the little box opened up and determine the power devices that run the ED inverter. Meanwhile to assemble open logic board kit for prius Gen3.

Prius3 inverter is mucho huge:
Attachments
IMG_2568a.jpg
More dramamine, Ma!
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

I have the open logic board kit for this Prius inverter but the new postings by our favorite lover of CATS has me confused. Its like I missed a key video. I do not understand the newer videos re The EV Module that you can replace the board in this module and then you can leave your inverter (the prius inverter eg) completely stock and this will somehow magically run your car. Using Canbus etc. So I have just given up, please someone what am I missing?? I do not even know, yet, what this smaller module is named in the SmartEV3 since every EV gives it a different name. HELP !!
More dramamine, Ma!
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Don't be confused, you have your Prius board and use it. It will run your motor just fine. The next project is called Zombieverter and its intention is to run complete OEM systems by CAN and work is still being done on it.
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

Thank you!! I shall proceed.
--
More dramamine, Ma!
+mitch+

Post by +mitch+ »

Still trying to get into the ED inverter as requested but proper tools are always at the other house. Continental really has this bad boy buttoned up. Where is my penta allen wrench set?

I'm giving up on this SmartEV in favor of my engine-less Mitsu Mighty Max pickup which will make a much more useful Ranch Wagon. Stole the brush motor off a Kawasaki KZ1000 conversion, a Raymond 48vdc, which should feed into the tranny input shaft just fine for ranch use. Big plus: the prehistoric electrics in the MMax makes life so much simpler than the SmartEV.
--
More dramamine, Ma!