Open Inverter as Phase Converter

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
SRFirefox

Open Inverter as Phase Converter

Post by SRFirefox »

I help run a community wood/machine shop and we're looking at getting some equipment that runs on 3-phase 240V power, but our building unfortunately doesn't (and won't) have 3 phase power. My first thought for running bigger equipment was VFDs, but then I thought of the open inverter project and recalled seeing Damien running a Prius inverter open-loop at some low voltage and frequency.

Can an open inverter driven system simply drive a 3-phase signal to a set of transmission lines to which 3-phase equipment can be connected and disconnected? I can't imagine using more than 30-50A of capacity, and rarely at that, so a used hybrid inverter would be a great solution for an inexpensive and very overbuilt converter. If nothing else, I'm certain that it could be used on individual machines.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Open Inverter as Phase Converter

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I'm excited about this, as I think there is massive untapped potential for Prius inverters to help people off-grid.

Also, in north america, no one has 3ph to their homes. They have 240v split phase (mostly 12v), or, apartment blocks will have 208v between-phase.

In the Former Industrial Manufacturing Heartland of America, aka the Rustbelt, there are a bajillion factories converting to warehouses and all kinds of 3 phase equipment that can be had literally free for the taking. A crappy 300w drill press is still $75 at a garage sale, but great big 3ph ones have no value to anyone.

.. Also, I want to add a 3ph power port to my little sportscar so I can run a welder off of it. I'm tempted to build a welder into the frame so that you can just walk up, pop a flap, and twist your leads right into the side of the car and start welding :p
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'm going to need a hacksaw
SRFirefox

Post by SRFirefox »

Thanks, Damien!
PrecisionAnalytic

Post by PrecisionAnalytic »

SRFirefox wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 am Can an open inverter driven system simply drive a 3-phase signal to a set of transmission lines to which 3-phase equipment can be connected and disconnected?
I'm wondering the same and hoping my post reply is approved as I forgot to copy and paste all the thoughts I just laid down in English text regarding my interest in using the Prius Gen 3 CVT and three inverter-converter and controller assemblies for inverting synchronous (brushed) and/or asynchronous (brushless) generators either running from one engine or multiple via first rectifying and then inputting into the inverter (unless the converter is required for some reason) so to output 120, 208, 240, 480, et.al., 3-phase pure sine wave output.

At first I was thinking might be a way to make the balance control for aluminum welding maybe since has IGBT's inside that are high power... like 20KW easy seems for each MG... so at least 40KW I'm guessing. I then segued into thoughts of making a plasma cutter as well. That turned into engine welder using the MG's from a CVT, either one or both if wanting to roll around the stock CVT assembly and not cutting in half and fabricating a plate with flange bearings or something.

Then most recently, I was like... holy wow! This might be a cost effective DIY inverter system like I noted in my first paragraph above for using as a portable or shop most likely mains power source soley or combined above like the original engine welder concept.

I'll see if I can offer some life support to these paradigms of thinking and inspiration maybe to do more than hold the line... let's move this forward for the World. OK... maybe not the World... at least the open source community. :-)