Project VW Cadd-E, Leaf/Volt/Mercedes + Mk1 VW

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
vwbrady

Re: Project VW Cadd-E

Post by vwbrady »

johu wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm Wow, you're actually fitting the whole power tower :) We yet have to find a car where this just fits.
As everyone knows I despise Nissans charger for its size but it would still be cool to get it working. Any knowledge on the latter?
no knowledge on any of this. honestly i was hoping to connect the BMS CAN and just see what happened. lol.

I could use some expert advice. If i switch to an EM61, i already have a Gen 3 prius inverter. Would either of you (Johu, Matt) recommend going that route and then sourcing stand alone charger? I have not researched chargers at all.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Wow that's cheap for an EM61. That has me rethinking my crazy motor I want to get...

I can't speak to doing feasible things. I've got lots of half-done stuff so I'll stay out of that decision re: which inverter. :)
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

new idea: since i've got all the motor adapter hardware worked out already, i could just use only the EM57 motor and power it with a prius inverter, which I already have. This is attractive as there seems to be a lot of good work being done by others over on the gen 3 toyota inverter threads. it could be possible to get a charger + DCDC + Inverter in less than half the size.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

johu wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm Wow, you're actually fitting the whole power tower :) We yet have to find a car where this just fits.
As everyone knows I despise Nissans charger for its size but it would still be cool to get it working. Any knowledge on the latter?
Think this chap got the delivery system working ;

vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

zippy500 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:51 pm

Think this chap got the delivery system working ;

yeah, i watched that video a while back. He's fortunate that he has the entire leaf system running together.

I've actually been rethinking my plan lately. The size of the Gen2 Leaf Charger/DCDC just isn't space efficient enough for my little vw. Though, since i already have the motor/inverter mounted to my transmission, i'll be leaving that as is.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Received my long awaited coupler in the mail from 3dhubs and made a motor mount :)

coupler:
PXL_20210403_025616976.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210405_041222424.jpg
Motor official mounted in place!
PXL_20210403_004001025.jpg
PXL_20210403_003953701.jpg
Next step is to pull the motor back out and test the spline fit. Then clean up that mount and make it look a little more professional - and maybe add another pickup point to it on the bench.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Option #2 for me was/is a Caddy, NICE!!!

I might have overlooked it, but why not use the LEAF reduction gear as well?
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

ZooKeeper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm Option #2 for me was/is a Caddy, NICE!!!

I might have overlooked it, but why not use the LEAF reduction gear as well?
3 for, 1 against

for:
1. i saw this as an easier implementation since the transmission holds 3 of the engine/trans mounts in the bay and i wouldn't need to fuss with axles
2. I want to keep the interior of the truck appearing factory with shifter and all.
3. I hope maybe i can get some efficiency improvement at higher speeds

against:
1. The 020 transaxle isn't designed for high torque, so I could possible shear the rivets holding the diff together. But, they make a bolt kit for that so i figure i have a backup.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

vwbrady wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm 3 for, 1 against

for:
1. i saw this as an easier implementation since the transmission holds 3 of the engine/trans mounts in the bay and i wouldn't need to fuss with axles
Yea, fabricating mounts can be a Royal PITA and the axles can be a real bugger.
2. I want to keep the interior of the truck appearing factory with shifter and all.
Me too, so I will swap in an AT control, then charge will be enabled in "P" only :D
against:
1. The 020 transaxle isn't designed for high torque, so I could possible shear the rivets holding the diff together. But, they make a bolt kit for that so i figure i have a backup.
The rivets do not provide any real shear resistance (increase in Tq capacity), the primary job is providing a clamping force.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

ZooKeeper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 pm
The rivets do not provide any real shear resistance (increase in Tq capacity), the primary job is providing a clamping force.

I'm sensing some engineering background
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Some silly center caps for the Corrado wheels.
PXL_20210418_210355558.NIGHT.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Nice! Who wants to design some openinverter center caps for my Touran? ;)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

johu wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm Nice! Who wants to design some openinverter center caps for my Touran? ;)

I'd love to! Get me some measurements and i'll mock something up. Actually, the centerbore on your Touran is likely the same 57.1mm so the retention feature may be pretty much the same.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Update:
My wife and I are expecting a baby any day now, my normal job has been pretty demanding lately, im 90% done with a full bathroom remodel, and I'm about to tear into our i3 to get CAN logs from the CCS1 controller during DC charging. So, I've been a bit all over the place :)

Here are some updates on the Caddy work.

Got my spline coupler finished, in and it spins mighty fine.
Leaf_VW Coupler.jpg
Ordered Volt Charger and DCDC, prior to realizing they're only good for 300V systems. Now I'm debating on whether or not to drop my system from 350 to 300 to make use of these components
Volt _chrg_DCDC.jpg
I've also been modeling a cover the the EM57 inverter DC in busbars:
LEaf_DC_in.jpg
FJ3422

Post by FJ3422 »

vwbrady wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm Ordered Volt Charger and DCDC, prior to realizing they're only good for 300V systems. Now I'm debating on whether or not to drop my system from 350 to 300 to make use of these components
AFAIK, the Volt Gen2 is using a 96s pack, so both should be fine up to at least 400V.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

vwbrady wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm
I've also been modeling a cover the the EM57 inverter DC in busbars:
LEaf_DC_in.jpg
Some em57 cover designs in this thread
viewtopic.php?t=1580
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

FJ3422 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm AFAIK, the Volt Gen2 is using a 96s pack, so both should be fine up to at least 400V.
Interesting! I thought I determined it was a 300V nominal in my research. But now I can't find anything to support that.

thanks for pointing this out!
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Bratitude wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 am
Some em57 cover designs in this thread
viewtopic.php?t=1580
I had known others were working on this, i'll add mine to the thread when i get it verified.
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

It's been slightly difficult to get out and work on the truck with a newborn in the house - being a new parent is one of the craziest things i've ever experienced.

some updates:

removed the gas tank, exhaust, and spare tire carrier to make TONS of space under the pickup bed available for batteries. Took some measurements and decided on a battery layout using laser cut brackets and simple box tubing.
underbed.jpg
the dark grey is the laser cut parts that are already on order
batt_asm_CAD.jpg
installed the powertrain for the final time after rust "converting" spots in the engine bay. Axles installed, all motor mounts installed.
pwtrn_inst.jpg
axle clearance to the EM57 housing :o
axle_clrnce.jpg
and in my quest to delete power brakes i fabricated a bracket to adapt a larger modern master cylinder directly to the firewall
brkmastr_weld.jpg
brkmastr_inst.jpg

Now it's time to re-route brake lines, work on wiring diagrams and a High Voltage Junction Box layout and wait for my parts from SendCutSend to arrive. :)
arber333

Post by arber333 »

vwbrady wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm Ordered Volt Charger and DCDC, prior to realizing they're only good for 300V systems. Now I'm debating on whether or not to drop my system from 350 to 300 to make use of these components
Why do you think Volt gen 2 Charger and DCDC are good for 300V only? I have reason to belive they work at least to 400Vdc
I am thinking of using them up to 420Vdc if they go that far. Will test both up to 420Vdc as soon as i get connectors...

A
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

arber333 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Why do you think Volt gen 2 Charger and DCDC are good for 300V only? I have reason to belive they work at least to 400Vdc
I am thinking of using them up to 420Vdc if they go that far. Will test both up to 420Vdc as soon as i get connectors...

A
honestly i should just delete that post. it was something i read somewhere else that was obviously wrong :|. luckily so, because i had already ordered both components.

I'm now in the process of sourcing wiring and will eventually attempt a bench test of both once i get my battery bank ready. I think we're both on the same path, so i expect we'll be sharing notes in the future.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

vwbrady wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:32 am I'm now in the process of sourcing wiring and will eventually attempt a bench test of both once i get my battery bank ready. I think we're both on the same path, so i expect we'll be sharing notes in the future.
Will do :). I have already tried DCDC converter and it works.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=978

Charger i hope to get correct AC connector any day now and we are in bussiness.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1690
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Charger testing success!
I couldnt let it rest and i connected charger AC lines ad hoc via some fastons. I connected HV to my test battery and LV control connector to 12V and my PWM pulse generator. I got good steady 9A of charging at 366Vdc! Control is really simple 100Hz with duty 25% to 90% varying current at an unknown rate.
After 90% duty charger drops out and if i lower it below 90% i get 9A again.
Charger has rather low thermal mass and can heat up quickly so any testing at full power is limited if not liquid cooled.
Later on i will add another module to my battery to test if this charger works with more than 400Vdc.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... 2-charger/
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

arber333 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:03 am Charger testing success!
I couldnt let it rest and i connected charger AC lines ad hoc via some fastons. I connected HV to my test battery and LV control connector to 12V and my PWM pulse generator. I got good steady 9A of charging at 366Vdc! Control is really simple 100Hz with duty 25% to 90% varying current at an unknown rate.
After 90% duty charger drops out and if i lower it below 90% i get 9A again.
Charger has rather low thermal mass and can heat up quickly so any testing at full power is limited if not liquid cooled.
Later on i will add another module to my battery to test if this charger works with more than 400Vdc.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... 2-charger/
that's awesome! what are you using for your PWM generator?

Oh NM, i'll take this topic up in your charger thread. :)
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

i love it when a CAD mockup comes together exactly as intended.

Battery mounting fabrication is well underway and the front row mounting is complete sans-paint.

as designed
CAD_asm.jpg
lasercuts from SendCutSend
brackets.jpg
bench test assemble
weld table.jpg
test fitting in chassis
instled_nomods.jpg
instled_2mods.jpg