Webshop descriptions and terms

Create a thread for each item that needs working on by the community
Jack Bauer

Webshop descriptions and terms

Post by Jack Bauer »

So a recent problem with a buyer (now a paypal claim) indicates I need to tighten up on my terms of sale , item descriptions on the webshop etc. I had thought the videos and forum links and github covered this but not so it seems. Would appreciate it greatly if I could get some help on this even just some wording I can copy and paste. Please no leaglise just some plain english. Thanks:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
AlexD

Re: Webshop descriptions and terms

Post by AlexD »

One thing i did notice when browsing the shop was that the price quoted in some of the descriptions was lower than the actual list price of the item.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah. Could you give me a link so I can fix?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Why would you put the price into the description?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

How much is it including tax?

How much is it including shipping to xxx?

How much is it including express shipping?

How much is it including cheap shipping?

Hence : Price is xxx Euros including worldwide shipping. No tax or other surcharges apply.
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

It was this one but i think that is the only one looking back.

https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... cm-partial
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Fixed. Many thanks.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm Hence : Price is xxx Euros including worldwide shipping. No tax or other surcharges apply.
yes I was just aiming at the redundancy as the price is already listed with the product. so "Price includes worldwide shipping. No tax or other surcharges apply." would leave less room for mistakes :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 am Please no leaglise just some plain english.
Here is my (slightly tongue in cheek) suggestion:

"No support expressed or implied. Not guaranteed to work in your application. Does not include safeguards against your ignorance; you can/may destroy other components. Requires thinking for yourself. Recommended for adult use only. If it feels like these clauses are directed at you, they are. Save us all some time and don’t buy it."
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Most hardware or modifications for cars here in the states come with a general disclaimer that they are for off-highway use only. This generally puts the liability for anything that happens on the purchaser. Say for example someone shorts their throttle signal wire to 5v and plows into a school bus, this provides at least a layer of separation that these products were not "intended" to be used on public highways.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

jon volk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm Most hardware or modifications for cars here in the states come with a general disclaimer that they are for off-highway use only. This generally puts the liability for anything that happens on the purchaser. Say for example someone shorts their throttle signal wire to 5v and plows into a school bus, this provides at least a layer of separation that these products were not "intended" to be used on public highways.
I've also commonly seen variations on "this product may not be legal for highway use in your jurisdiction" to get across a similar point. Clears the supplier without necessarily putting the user in a bind for using it.

EDIT: Not a lawyer, just my understanding of the phrasing.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
dowster

Post by dowster »

johu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:42 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm Hence : Price is xxx Euros including worldwide shipping. No tax or other surcharges apply.
yes I was just aiming at the redundancy as the price is already listed with the product. so "Price includes worldwide shipping. No tax or other surcharges apply." would leave less room for mistakes :)
Just did a skim through the whole site, any listing with a price in the description appears to match the other two price fields on the page at the time of this reply.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

By placing an order on the site you agree to the following terms.

The components in shop are supplied as is, the seller is not responsible for loss or damage of property while using the components. There is no warranty on parts. All sales are FINAL, no returns for any parts in any case, other than of a wrong/faulty part was shipped.

.. i found out hoppos (hydraulic suspension company)
https://www.hopposonline.com/shipping-returns/
Has good example of disclaimer that we are just selling parts for show use.. I think everyone knows they will be used on the roads.

I like PS.Mangelsdorf's idea of saying it may not be legal to use.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks folks.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

P.S.Mangelsdorf wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm "No support expressed or implied. Not guaranteed to work in your application. Does not include safeguards against your ignorance; you can/may destroy other components. Requires thinking for yourself. Recommended for adult use only. If it feels like these clauses are directed at you, they are. Save us all some time and don’t buy it."
Simply FANTASTIC!!!

Now to clean the keyboard of coffee :D
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

An actual lawyer should do this, but then I should be paying an electrical engineer for all their actual engineering on all these projects rather than them almost being sold for cost.

Perhaps a section about how these are developer tools intended for research, and any use in an actual vehicle will require much further design and engineering, they have been tested on a bench but that is not a guarantee that they will work in your application without further work. Blah blah.

I think everyone in the DIY community will know to read that as "Don't be a jerk, and I am not responsible for your failures, but these should be pretty much plug and play", without being entitled to that.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:50 pm An actual lawyer should do this,
Not to be argumentative, but what works in the EU will likely not in the USA or AU, let alone JP, CH or RU ;)
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

ZooKeeper wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:21 pm
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:50 pm An actual lawyer should do this,
Not to be argumentative, but what works in the EU will likely not in the USA or AU, let alone JP, CH or RU ;)
It does not and while writing arbitrary words may make the author feel good it will not have the desired effect. We already have the opinion of a US attorney (here) and the 'community' should resource proper legal advice so that everyone contributing to Open Inverter is protected.
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ok thanks everyone I'm locking this thread now as the request is answered.