Electric Car Conversion Courses - Ireland 2020

New Electric Ireland

Electric Car Conversion Courses - Ireland 2020

Post by New Electric Ireland »

I'm delighted to announce the dates of our electric car conversion courses for 2020 :D

(#1) Friday 6th -> Monday 9th March - Introductory Course **full**

(#2) Friday 10th -> Monday 13th April - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#3) Friday 1st -> Monday 4th May - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#4) Friday 5th -> Monday 8th June - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#5) Friday 3rd -> Monday 6th July - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#6) Friday 7th -> Monday 10th August - Introductory Course **full**

(#7) Friday 21st -> Monday 24th August - Introductory Course **full**

(#8) Friday 4th -> Monday 7th September - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#9) Friday 18th -> Monday 21st September - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#10) Friday 2nd -> Monday 5th October - Introductory Course **Cancelled**

(#11) Friday 16th -> Monday 19th October - Advanced Course **Cancelled**

These introductory courses will be led by Damien Maguire ("Jack Bauer") and are intended to provide a solid grounding in electric car conversion for the complete novice.

Each course runs for four days over a weekend (Friday to Monday) and will be held in one of the New Electric workshops near Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland (approximately ninety minutes south of Dublin airport, and ninety minutes north of Rosslare Ferry Terminal).

The course cost is 1,000 euros per person excluding transport, accommodation and food. A 250 euro deposit is required to secure a place with the remaining 750 euro payable one month before the course commences. Space on each course is strictly limited to a maximum of ten participants.

Lots more detail will follow but if you want a taster have a look at Damien's YouTube channel (here), an article in Irish Tech News (here), photo's from out first course (here), or a participants review (here).

If you'd like to book a space please email your full name, address, phone number, and VAT details (if you're a company) to sales@newelectric.ie :D
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
New Electric Ireland

Re: Electric Car Conversion Courses - Ireland 2020

Our first 2020 course kicks off on Friday 8-)

Two of the hand on tasks include building a High Voltage Junction Box ("HVJB") for the Grey Goose and reviewing the Model 3 inverter :)

We have a few places left in September and October if you'd like to join in the fun!
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
New Electric Ireland

Our course participants constructed a High Voltage Junction Box for the Grey Goose today 8-) We've asked them to post details to the forum :)
IMG_20200307_134224.jpg
IMG-20200307-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20200307-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20200307-WA0016.jpg
New Electric Ireland

Today the course participants reviewed the Lexus/Prius developments, drove BEXUS, and helped reverse engineer the Tesla Model 3 hardware 8-)
IMG-20200308-WA0023.jpg
IMG_20200308_144156.jpg
IMG_20200308_150745.jpg
Igor

Post by Igor »

Sounds like a good day.

Those inverter boards look exactly the same!
New Electric Ireland

Today the course participants reviewed conversion legalities in five countries, discussed the open inverter forum/wiki, discussed several proposed builds, and helped reverse engineer a Tesla Model 3 :D
IMG_20200309_120252.jpg
Bentto

Post by Bentto »

Very cool! Someone was brave enough to bring his brand new model 3 in to have you guys play around with it? :D

Was The netherlands by any chance one of the 5 countries discussed? That one is still missing from the wiki. I've done a fair bit of research in the official policies on modifying cars in the Netherlands but there a few important steps 'depending on assesment of the person doing the assessment'. So not quite sure what actually to expect in reality.
New Electric Ireland

:!: We’ve cancelled the April and May courses following the latest COVID-19 advice from Ireland’s Health Authority :!:
steveknox

Post by steveknox »

New Electric Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 pm Our course participants constructed a High Voltage Junction Box for the Grey Goose today 8-) We've asked them to post details to the forum :)
It's a real shame the courses have been cancelled :(

I look forward to reading about this course on the wiki! I'm in the middle of designing my junction box, so I've got some questions about this one, such as the layout, choice, and purpose of some of the components. Where's the best place to ask these questions without cluttering up this thread with technical questions?

Cheers,

Steve
New Electric Ireland

steveknox wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am Where's the best place to ask these questions without cluttering up this thread with technical questions?
Probably best to start a project page to keep your questions in one place.

We will announce some online one day courses in the near future... CAN bus hacking and HVJB are two topics we're working on 8-)
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I look forward to reading about this course on the wiki! I'm in the middle of designing my junction box, so I've got some questions about this one, such as the layout, choice, and purpose of some of the components. Where's the best place to ask these questions without cluttering up this thread with technical questions?

I promised myself to write up my notes from the course on the wiki and start more general EV conversion related knowledge base people can expand on. Someone can hold me to this promise!
New Electric Ireland

jnsaff wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:36 am

I promised myself to write up my notes from the course on the wiki and start more general EV conversion related knowledge base people can expand on. Someone can hold me to this promise!
Great!
New Electric Ireland

The Irish Government published it's roadmap today for reopening society and businesses following the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic (here).

If everything goes to plan we can run courses for residents of Ireland from early August and people from outside of Ireland in September. We'll publish new course dates next week and increase the number of places to accommodate the waiting list (please let me know if you'd like to join the list).
baronofbloomsburyuk

Post by baronofbloomsburyuk »

Apologize if it has already been asked, but what is the skill / knowledge level required (or recommended) prior to joining the 4 day workshop? Thanks.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I attended one of these courses and I’d say it would be beneficial to understand ohms law and things as basic as that and obviously the more you understand beforehand the better (you could be asking questions you did not get answers for in here or in YouTube videos) but to attend the beginner course no experience is required.
New Electric Ireland

New Electric Ireland wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm The Irish Government published it's roadmap today for reopening society and businesses following the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic (here).

If everything goes to plan we can run courses for residents of Ireland from early August and people from outside of Ireland in September.
Happy to report we enter Phase 2 of our lockdown roadmap on Monday and the August restart for courses is looking good 8-)
New Electric Ireland

We have a few spaces left on this years courses :)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=491
New Electric Ireland

New Electric Ireland wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:57 pm
New Electric Ireland wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm The Irish Government published it's roadmap today for reopening society and businesses following the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic (here).

If everything goes to plan we can run courses for residents of Ireland from early August and people from outside of Ireland in September.
Happy to report we enter Phase 2 of our lockdown roadmap on Monday and the August restart for courses is looking good 8-)
Happy to report we enter Phase 3 of our lockdown roadmap on Monday and the August restart for courses is now confirmed :D