[First Drive] Leyland 255 Tractor - Nissan Leaf EM61

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
LRBen

Re: Leyland 255 Tractor - Nissan Leaf EM61

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:30 pm Using an ebike controller to drive a Leaf motor is really stupid, whoever told you it was a good idea? :lol:
Shan't be listening to them again! But it did work long enough, to be fair it was probably more my fault for running it in some sort of self learning mode rather than mess around with throttle inputs.
LRBen

Re: [WIP] Leyland 255 Tractor - Nissan Leaf EM61

Post by LRBen »

Have a test battery from the MG fitted now. Had to remove most of the tinwork at the front, but it will do the job.

Currently cleaning up and painting the rear wheels before getting new tyres put on. Then I need to look at hooking up the new hydrostatic steering.
After that it should be ready for a first test drive.

My plan is to get some initial driving done with this battery around the farm, then switch it out for the ECorsa battery for some real work. Although it's all a bit delayed at the moment until I get the MG back on the road.
PXL_20230706_161823424 (1).jpg
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Been doing a little bit of work on this in the evenings when it gets too dark to work in the MG shed. Mostly starting on the 12v system, running wires for lights etc.

It now has a full set of new tyres.
PXL_20231012_092957941.jpg
Also got it spinning for the first time tonight!
https://youtube.com/shorts/P448f2cb54c?feature=share

Couldn't go too fast as there isn't any coolant in anything just yet.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Nice work, looking good.
What are the legal implications of converting a tractor? Will you be able to drive it on the road?
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:31 pm Nice work, looking good.
What are the legal implications of converting a tractor? Will you be able to drive it on the road?
Shouldn't be any reason why I can't drive it on the road.

I've already got it road registered with photos from before I stripped it down, then assuming it goes the same as the quad bike the DVLA will send someone out who had no idea what they are looking at. Then they will change the log book. It's less of an issue with this since it's already over 40 years old and agricultural anyway, so there is no tax income being lost.

I've had a quote from the NFU for insurance for £160 for the year, that covers work on the farm, tractor runs and contracting. It's a bit more than usual but also nowhere near the increase that the MG insurance cost.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Made a good start on the 12v wiring over the holidays. The main fuseboxes and relays are in, dashboard is in, some lights works.

Made a short video to give an overview of the whole project so far.

The power steering is almost there as well. I just need to finish the last link between the ram and the wheel.
PXL_20231222_172125817.jpg
After that is done I should be able to give it a short drive. Then I will have to look at installing the charger and putting in some sort of cooling loop.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Outstanding work mate, well done. :D
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Got the charger and socket physically installed and almost wired up. Potentially might be able to have a first attempt at charging this weekend.
PXL_20240120_154012130.jpg
Also tried the power steering for the first time. Still not connected to the wheels but the ram does move pretty well so I think the Astra pump will work just fine. I'm quite pleased that part worked first time, it's a real mis-match of parts. I think I'll still need to adjust the ram at a later date as the throw is longer than the wheels will turn.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Have you checked the current being drawn by the Zafira PAS pump? I had one that sounded like that and it was drawing around 40A at idle and refused to spool down. The Volvo pump I just installed spooled down to draw only 7A when not turning the wheel and is lovely and quiet. (relatively ;) )
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:53 pm Have you checked the current being drawn by the Zafira PAS pump? I had one that sounded like that and it was drawing around 40A at idle and refused to spool down. The Volvo pump I just installed spooled down to draw only 7A when not turning the wheel and is lovely and quiet.
Not yet, I'll put a clamp meter on it at the weekend and see what it does.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Steering is done, have the track rod ends off for painting then I can cross that off the list.

Just working on charging now, which is a bit elongated as I have to compile at home then test at the farm. But fairly confident I should have it charging very soon.

Also had my radiator and water pump arrived this week so I can start on the coolant loop, after that I can take it for it's first short drive.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

First real drive!

There are three big things left to do before I can try and drive it properly. Mount the 12v battery properly, not perched on top of the HV pack.
Get it charging, I'm still working on that but confident it will work.
Get some values coming out of the BMS, that isn't quite so necessary but it would be good to get that working before I charge it too often. It is a very unbalanced pack and has been sat around for 6 months.
PXL_20240223_171241684.jpg
Still lots to do but getting that first drive in is really important to keep up that motivation.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

One more milestone reached today with a successful attempt of charging. Took me a few weeks to get this sorted but in the end I think the biggest issue was a wiring mix up in charge port lock motor and feedback.
Got it running with zombie today, very basic and still lots of bugs iron out to make it more usable. For example the charge port locks when you first insert a connector, but won't unlock until the connector is removed...
PXL_20240224_155617895.MP.jpg
As far as I know the first hacked VAG charger working in a conversion.
LRBen

Re: [First Drive] Leyland 255 Tractor - Nissan Leaf EM61

Post by LRBen »

Done a tiny bit more with the charging interface. I can now stop the charge manually, although it still won't unlock. I think I might try and recode the charger again and see if there is anything I missed regarding the lock mechanism.

Took it out for a bit more of a drive on the weekend, getting quite confident now that it will drive ok. Having an issue with the hydraulics at the moment, but once I fix that and finish off the linkages I can see about doing some work with it.
LRBen

Re: [First Drive] Leyland 255 Tractor - Nissan Leaf EM61

Post by LRBen »

Got the charger working pretty well now. Got around the locking issue by coding out the lock motor. So now the charger will just work when you plug in an EVSE.

Hydraulics are now working, so now I can finish putting the linkages back together and then I might try and take it out for some work! There is some weed wiping to be done soon and I might try out the finger bar mower for some topping.

On the throttle side I have hooked up the foot throttle with a proper throttle cable, unfortunately I couldn't get the hand throttle and foot throttle connected to the same pot, the hand throttle has a much small range of movement. On the original pump this is overcome by the hand throttle attaching lower to the fuel pump lever than the foot throttle.
My current idea is to reuse the hand throttle as a switch for cruise control.