Initializing a new ISA shunt with ZombieVerter

robertwa

Initializing a new ISA shunt with ZombieVerter

Post by robertwa »

To setup a new shunt, do you still need to go through the Arduino setup process, or is it possible to set one up directly from the ZombieVerter interface?

On the wiki it references this:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/ZombieVer ... _ISA_Shunt

Initializing an ISA Shunt
Under Comms in the web interface, there is now an ISAMode option. By default its in "Normal". If you want to initialize a new shunt, connect it up, power on the shunt and vcu, select "Init", hit save parameters to flash. Power cycle the vcu and shunt at same time (they should be on same 12v feed anyway). The shunt will initialize. Select ISAMode "normal", save to flash again and reboot again. The shunt should now be up and running

I tried this, but does not seem to do anything, but will keep trying. On the interface there is no 'normal' or 'Init', just 'on', 'off' and 'na' so I tried turning on, saving to flash, rebooting, turning off, saving to flash and rebooting again. I then tried to read voltage and current via a simple taillight circuit.

I have a Due coming tomorrow, but wanted to check if it is needed anymore. Thanks!
Building: 1964 International Scout 80. LS600H transmission with zombieinverter, B250e battery pack
FieroJam

Re: Initializing a new ISA shunt with ZombieVerter

Post by FieroJam »

It's about 2-years old, but maybe still relevant.

robertwa

Post by robertwa »

Ok I spent the weekend playing around with an Arduino UNO w/CAN-BUS shield and separately with a DUE. I'm not a programmer by any means. Was able to verify CAN traffic between my shunt with a load and the UNO, albeit not in the format desired.

My question - with the zombieinverter board, what are we trying to do here? On the wiki, both the instructions for 'programming with a UNO' and 'programming with a DUE' seem to be solely about configuring an Arduino board to be able to recognize and translate the output of a ISA shunt into meaningful data.

Do I need to flash something onto the ISA shunt specifically?

What does the 'ISA initialization' function on the zombieinverter do?

Thanks for any help.
Building: 1964 International Scout 80. LS600H transmission with zombieinverter, B250e battery pack
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

robertwa wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:18 am Ok I spent the weekend playing around with an Arduino UNO w/CAN-BUS shield and separately with a DUE. I'm not a programmer by any means. Was able to verify CAN traffic between my shunt with a load and the UNO, albeit not in the format desired.

My question - with the zombieinverter board, what are we trying to do here? On the wiki, both the instructions for 'programming with a UNO' and 'programming with a DUE' seem to be solely about configuring an Arduino board to be able to recognize and translate the output of a ISA shunt into meaningful data.

Do I need to flash something onto the ISA shunt specifically?

What does the 'ISA initialization' function on the zombieinverter do?

Thanks for any help.

The ardunio programs are used to “format/program/initialize “the shunts

If you have the shunt wired up and are seeing data in the serial console, then you’re wired up correctly.

there’s different commands you can type into the serial console to re format the shunt. From my memory type in “I” and press enter

the initalization function on the zombie does the same thing
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
robertwa

Post by robertwa »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:00 pm
the initalization function on the zombie does the same thing
So technically no need to do anything with an Arduino - connect to Zombie board and configure from there?
DerekSavage

Post by DerekSavage »

I am in the same boat. I can't seem to initialize the shunt
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Out of interest what ISA shunt do you have? I have an ISA shunt from an Ipace and it seems that has defaults that are different to the normal ISA shunt. However that doesn't have voltage read capabilities, so not that useful for the Zombieverter.
DerekSavage

Post by DerekSavage »

I got mine from ev create. I think that was the one that damien recommended in his videos
https://www.evcreate.com/shop/charging/ ... ge-sensor/
DerekSavage

Post by DerekSavage »

I found the answer, as well as another problem that was stopping me. Turns out that my CAN2 wires correspond to CAN1 on the web interface for some odd reason. When I changed them to the "wrong" value, I was able to initialize my shunt and it began showing values immediately. I used ISA_INIT = ON to initialize, and ISA_INIT = OFF thereafter. I did not have to use the "na" value.
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

Looked through the ISA shut config code from the ZombieVerter VCU and didn't notice the CAN bitrate configuration.
Wanted to confirm, the shut bitrate is kept at the default 500bps to talk to the VCU?
Thanks in advance.
VWJoe

Post by VWJoe »

alexbeatle wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:38 pm Looked through the ISA shut config code from the ZombieVerter VCU and didn't notice the CAN bitrate configuration.
Wanted to confirm, the shut bitrate is kept at the default 500bps to talk to the VCU?
Thanks in advance.
Yep, I have the shunt on the same bus as the leaf motor running at 500 kbps. Just selected yes on the VCU, saved and restart, remembering to reset the VCU to no on the init Shunt and save again.