Inverter is not detecting high voltage (Zombieverter) Topic is solved

DerekSavage

Inverter is not detecting high voltage (Zombieverter)

Post by DerekSavage »

Hello friends,

I have been working towards a first spin up test, and I have been stymied by INVudc suddenly reading zero.
The inverter I am using is from a 2013 Nissan Leaf, I believe that is a Gen 1.
This was a parameter that had been working since my first boot up of the Zombieverter, but it will no longer read the actual value.

The problem:
- Inverter is not correctly reading voltage. INVudc = 0.

What may have caused it:
- A couple times, on accident, I opened the main contactor before the precharge contactor.
- I changed the firmware around a lot while trying to get my throttle to work. (1.10A -> 1.11A -> 1.10A -> 1.7A -> 1.11A).

What I have tried:
- I checked all the connections thoroughly.
- I hooked up my oscilloscope to CANL and CANH without the VCU plugged in to check for a heartbeat. See Fig 1A/1B.
- I hooked up my oscilloscope to CANL with the VCU with the VCU plugged in to see if data was being sent. See Fig 1C.
- While in dir = drive, opmode = Run, and potVal = 20% torque commands are being sent, but nothing is happening. This is expected, however because the nissan leaf will not attempt to move unless it measures over 180V. Each test I verified with my mulit meter that the voltage was in fact 190 volts, but INVudc always read zero.

Is there anything more that I should do or check? Is my Inverter bad?
Thank you for your time.
image.png
Fig 1A

image.png
Fig 1B
image.png
Fig 1C
DerekSavage

Re: Inverter is not detecting high voltage (Zombieverter)

Post by DerekSavage »

I also have my parameters file if that would be at all helpful.
DerekSavage

Post by DerekSavage »

I found the answer! I have been using CAN2 for my inverter. For some odd reason, the pinouts that were on the wiki did not correspond to the the CAN1 and CAN2 on the web interface. It wasn't until I selected CAN1 for the inverter that it began working again! :)
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Glad you’ve been able to track down the problem.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Where does the invudc reading come from? I had my gs450 spinning on the workbench, but since moving to the car, I can't get invudc to read anything but "0". I tried switching the inverter canbus from 1 to 2 and back but no change. My throttle and gear position work, and it commands torque, but nothing else. Not sure what connections to look at.
Any help would be appreciated.
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

GS450S does not use can bus it uses two serial buses. Torque is on htm so that looks ok, inverter voltage, INVudc is on mth so check mth connections.
Temperatures, tmphs and tmpm, are also on mth so checking these values will confirm if it's a bad mth connection.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Thanks for the reply. TMPHS is 0 celsius, and TMPM is -27.71C. I double checked my wiring and I'm getting continuity in correct pins. Any idea what else it could be?
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

Just for grins, I switched mth+ and mth-, and got no change on tmphs and tmpm readings.
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

royhen99 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:34 pm GS450S does not use can bus it uses two serial buses. Torque is on htm so that looks ok, inverter voltage, INVudc is on mth so check mth connections.
Temperatures, tmphs and tmpm, are also on mth so checking these values will confirm if it's a bad mth connection.
I'm reading -27.71 on tmpm, and 0 on tmphs, but have rechecked wiring and getting consistent approx 128 ohms on all comm wiring.
Is it possible that one of the chips that were soldered on to the board was put on wrong?