GS450H stops working

et0

GS450H stops working

Post by et0 »

Hi all, posting here in case other GS450H / Zombie users have any ideas...

This setup has been working rock solid for a year - when the drive is powered, it works fine and dependably, apart from the various control software bugs.

However it has developed a fault where it will just stop after about a minute of being powered up. This happens even with the vehicle stationary, you can hear the whine for minute or two after starting, then the whine seems to go away, and the vehicle won't drive.

When this happens I can see no difference between it working and not working - invUDC still shows a correct (live) reading, so I think the comms are still active. The contactors stay on and the status is "run". The potnom and torque values still respond to the throttle in just the same way as when it's working, and direction state is correct.

Any ideas, I didn't expect the inverter to break :(
AdrianB

Re: GS450H stops working

Post by AdrianB »

I’m just guessing here but it’d be worth checking tmphs isn’t too high and also that the brake signal isn’t switching on.

P.S. Also check that the inverter is getting a really good 12v supply. I’ve had problems switching it on when the 12v battery is a bit weak.
et0

Post by et0 »

AdrianB wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 am I’m just guessing here but it’d be worth checking tmphs isn’t too high and also that the brake signal isn’t switching on.

P.S. Also check that the inverter is getting a really good 12v supply. I’ve had problems switching it on when the 12v battery is a bit weak.
Thanks - I did check these and a few other things.
In the end we swapped to the GS450 inverter controller instead, and the problem has gone away, so unfortunately don't know the cause.
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

Good to hear that your car is up and running again, however as a zombie verter owner myself (yet to finish my conversion) I'm starting to think the zombie for the gs450h at least seems like it is going to be difficult to get fully functional with all the features I was really hoping for (regen for one).... hopefully I'm wrong.
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Gotta say folks if the aim of the game is to demorailse me to the point where I pack it in fully it's working a charm. Getting a little bit harder every morning to get up and face the day. I thought taking a break from the forum might give me a chance to recharge so have been popping back in of late. Anyway, The situation with the vcu is (and I know I'm repeating myself here) that as of today its running in two of my cars for several years with a further 3 planned for this year. Last year I swapped my E39 over to GS450H in order to have a test bed and work out bugs (yes they were there I was wrong) and help folks get a better experience. Even took it on the dyno. Seems I'm lacking as usual. I'll keep going for now anyway. Regen and other features are on the plan. I'm not a software engineer so I rely on the kind support of those who are but I still have to test and make sure features work in as many cars and setups as I can. It takes time and effort like all things and the more involved people choose to be in a project the easier it becomes. Perhaps some choose to believe I don't care about their problems or projects. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just can't solve all problems right now for everyone.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 am Getting a little bit harder every morning to get up and face the day.
Sending love to Damien. Stay with us mate we need you.

On my project I’ve hit loads of snags which, in the end, have been caused by my own ignorance or stupidity - nothing to do with the software or the hardware.