Exomotive Exocet - Tesla SDU - Chevy Volt Battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
brentpicasso

Exomotive Exocet - Tesla SDU - Chevy Volt Battery

Post by brentpicasso »

Hello from Seattle, WA!

We're converting an Exomotive Exocet kit car to EV using the Tesla SDU and a Chevy Volt battery.

For the build, we're targeting the Tesla small rear drive unit, a Chevy Volt Gen2 pack, and (TBD) BMS.

We're quite happy with the Tesla SDU, but feel the Chevy Volt battery is fine for a temporary solution while we wait for chemistries with higher density to come online. The volt pack does fit the front part of the tunnel where the transmission used to be quite well, and part of front original engine bay.

For the BMS, I'm not quite sure. I'm thinking DIYBMS - but I'm not sure if the balancing capability of that unit could handle the demands of charging the volt cell. I'd love some feedback on this subject.

If you're on Facebook you can also follow along here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/627064790730643
Attachments
tesla_no_engine.jpg
Brent Picasso
Autosport Labs
Bratitude

Re: Exomotive Exocet - Tesla SDU - Chevy Volt Battery

Post by Bratitude »

a gen 1 volt bms graphs onto a gen2 nicely. pair it with simpBMS (a teensy running simpbms)

gen2 volt pack is quite good for power density. if range is your goal(which it doesn't sound like) tesla modules are more ideal.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
brentpicasso

Re: Exomotive Exocet - Tesla SDU - Chevy Volt Battery

Post by brentpicasso »

Bratitude wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:36 pm a gen 1 volt bms graphs onto a gen2 nicely. pair it with simpBMS (a teensy running simpbms)
That is a fantastic idea! Just splice the Gen1 into the Gen2 battery pack - assuming the number of cells align.

Do you know of any writeups from people that have already done this?
Brent Picasso
Autosport Labs