New MOT rules

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Peter

New MOT rules

Post by Peter »

Hi Forum. I got a message today regarding the new MOT rules.
Seems vehicles may be checked every 2 years possibly in the near future.
However the part that mentions EV battery checks for safety etc could pose a problem for us who have built our own packs and not had any inspections done. Or we may just have to factor in paying for the inspection as a matter of course.
Hope I am not repeating whats already been posted somewhere here.
Bigpie

Re: New MOT rules

Post by Bigpie »

Got any more details?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Peter

Post by Peter »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prop ... the-future

Among the proposals, the consultation will consider whether electric vehicles’ batteries should be tested to improve the safety and reliability of EVs, if additional measures should be introduced to tackle excessively loud engines, and how the DVSA can continue to crack down against MOT and mileage fraud.
catphish

Post by catphish »

This seems like nothing but a vague suggestion by somebody looking for opinion.

I'm broadly in favor of such addition tests. However, realistically, in my opinion the only way to "test" an EV battery is going to be similar to a PAT test. Mostly a visual inspection, looking for worn / frayed / cracked cables and connectors, possibly a ground conduction test. What else could they do? It's never going to be safe or practical for them to perform any internal inspection or high voltage electrical test.

I'd say this is entirely separate from the question of whether certain modifications (like adding a high voltage system) should require a full or partial IVA.
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

What a load of nonsense! Testing of ev batteries is well outside of the scope of an mot test, vehicles must be tested as presented no removal of covers or components is permitted therefore any test could only be limited to visual (is it secure) and at the most a plug in scan for battery system fault codes, perhaps an insulation test at the charge port but I don’t see it. It also makes me laugh that they want to extend the mot free period and at the same time crack down on mileage fraud, most of which these days is people clocking the mileage back prior to its first MOT!
Being in the trade we get wind of various new proposals each year, not many make it through,
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

In Finland, new rules for EV and plug in hybrid state something like:

Visual inspection of HV system:
scratches in battery ok, but dents equal a failed "MOT",
also tearing on HV wiring -> fail

if a dent on battery is observed, the car must be inspected by authorized service center, to determine manufactures tolerance and opinion about if battery need replacings or is still safe to use.

They will not do more than OBD test with computer, that is allready required in any vehicle registered later than 1.1.2004.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

JaniK wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:58 am In Finland, new rules for EV and plug in hybrid state something like:

Visual inspection of HV system:
scratches in battery ok, but dents equal a failed "MOT",
also tearing on HV wiring -> fail

if a dent on battery is observed, the car must be inspected by authorized service center, to determine manufactures tolerance and opinion about if battery need replacings or is still safe to use.

They will not do more than OBD test with computer, that is allready required in any vehicle registered later than 1.1.2004.
So what would equate to resolving a MOT finding like that? A tech report "no outstanding battery DTCs"? What about the dents? Do you then get to write "Dent and buckle chart" as with airplane continuing airworthiness assesment? A HIL list to log defferred defects? What about next time when you go to MOT? Those things in aviation are there for specific reasons and those are usually resolved with a maintenance action, which is performed by air design standards.
Do we have standards for battery casing damage PASS or FAIL?

What they propose then does not resolve the finding and you cant get the MOT confirmed then.

EDIT: And also your last sentence would mean that if you perform annual inspection just before MOT you can fight the finding right there with your "no outstanding battery DTCs" report from last inspection, or can you?
Cera

Post by Cera »

I've no idea how the rules in the UK are/will be with that update, but I asked about the change in Finland with regards to DIY battery casing, and got told that it doesn't change things for custom plans.

The point apparently is that in factory EV's, a dent in the casing might mean there's coolant lines or something else damaged/pinned inside. Since the MOT inspectors aren't able to open the case to see what's happening inside, it makes sense that it's a risk which might lead to serious battery issues lateron.

Basically that then requires taking the vehicle to Tesla who'd presumably refuse to do anything but to replace the battery pack entirely. I dunno. Thenagain the batteries are pretty solidly shielded in most EV's so I assume getting them dented would require forces which would compromise battery safety nevertheless?

I was told as long as my DIY battery case looks solid and undented it's going to be fine :p
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

arber333 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:23 am So what would equate to resolving a MOT finding like that? A tech report "no outstanding battery DTCs"? What about the dents? Do you then get to write "Dent and buckle chart" as with airplane continuing airworthiness assesment? A HIL list to log defferred defects? What about next time when you go to MOT? Those things in aviation are there for specific reasons and those are usually resolved with a maintenance action, which is performed by air design standards.
Do we have standards for battery casing damage PASS or FAIL?

What they propose then does not resolve the finding and you cant get the MOT confirmed then.

EDIT: And also your last sentence would mean that if you perform annual inspection just before MOT you can fight the finding right there with your "no outstanding battery DTCs" report from last inspection, or can you?
No DTC errors will have no effect for visual damage in battery.
As Cera said, they want to make sure no internal damage has occurred.

It could be possible to show a no battery errors document and try to pass a smallish dent, but I think it will go like;

if it looks damaged, its damaged until proven it's not.

One piece of paper, picture of dent, signed by TESLA, VW or whatever brand the car is. Stating it is safe to operate. That I think they want. But a dented battery most like has had a beating anyways.

There must be some standards as what is considered smallish dent and what of big dent :P but i could not find it, new regulations came here allready in 11/2022
Cera wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm I was told as long as my DIY battery case looks solid and undented it's going to be fine :p
- Same
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

Peter wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:34 pm https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prop ... the-future

Among the proposals, the consultation will consider whether electric vehicles’ batteries should be tested to improve the safety and reliability of EVs, if additional measures should be introduced to tackle excessively loud engines, and how the DVSA can continue to crack down against MOT and mileage fraud.
This seems fishy to me!
Give you a carrot - look we will save you the grand sum of £40! at the expense of monitoring your every move.

I've been looking at Euro 7 future regs - which seems to follow similar trajectory making use of the tech in new cars for monitoring any tampering!
The coming decades will be tough for car enthusiasts.
image.png