Reverse Speeds Leaf drivetrain

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
monabuild

Reverse Speeds Leaf drivetrain

Post by monabuild »

Hey all,
So i have be gathering parts for a leaf build the last year and finally have everything to get going on this project! I am planning to use the leaf drive train and mounting it in place of the rear differential on a 1989 BMW E30. The plan is to possibly run the motor and transmission reverse of how it was intended to have the correct clearance and not have to modify the control arms or sub-frame. Essentially making it the same mounting of a Tesla drive unit orientation because i know they fit pretty well under a e30..

So i guess my reasoning is here https://www.drivingline.com/articles/ba ... 20reverse.. Am i crazy or would this work? I am metal fabricator in my day to day so the mounting work isn't anything to wild for me. This seems like a good option and lets me have all the under hood room for batteries and such..

Let the heckling begin!

Cheers
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Reverse Speeds Leaf drivetrain

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

monabuild wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:31 pm The plan is to possibly run the motor and transmission reverse of how it was intended to have the correct clearance and not have to modify the control arms or sub-frame.
monabuild wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:31 pm Am i crazy or would this work?
We know from Damien's E46 Touring that the Leaf motor will run in both directions at high speed :D

What we don't know is whether the Leaf gearing and oil lubrication system will survive running in permanent reverse.

Why not simply mount the Leaf motor on the existing gearbox? It takes less than a day and is known to work 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
monabuild

Post by monabuild »

I guess I’m just trying to get away from using any and all of the ice stuff that I possibly can. Well I suppose I’ll try and if it dies a non oiled death!! I can go that route I suppose
kevpatts

Post by kevpatts »

I'm considering this question also while planning an E30 build. Can I ask what way you went and how much success you had?
monabuild

Post by monabuild »

kevpatts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm I'm considering this question also while planning an E30 build. Can I ask what way you went and how much success you had?
Glad others are thinking about it to. It’s been a busy year for me so progress has been slow. I am shooting for the end of the month to have it rolling on it’s own power. I can also put in some photos here for my mounting solution which is worked out pretty well I think.

I’m going to make a build thread for others to reference this weekend.
dimonlipko

Post by dimonlipko »

If you use OEM leaf inverter, revers speed limited 3500 rpm. You can change motor direction, change 2 wire on resolver and 2 phase wire.
fogoo

Post by fogoo »

dimonlipko wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:52 am If you use OEM leaf inverter, revers speed limited 3500 rpm. You can change motor direction, change 2 wire on resolver and 2 phase wire.
Hey, does anybody know what resolver wires on the Gen1 motor get switched? Thx
2fast4u

Post by 2fast4u »

There are several builds that are running the Leaf gearbox in a reverse installation which seems to do fine. Info on how to modify the wiring to be able to do this with original inverter can be found here:
https://www.resolve-ev.com/about-us
Fiat eBarchetta powered by Leaf
fogoo

Post by fogoo »

Yes, lots of information for the Gen 2 EM57 motor, but not for the Gen1 - EM67. The resolver wires are a different color.

This is the info I have gotten from this forum regarding the EM67 resolver, can anyone tell me which 2 to switch?

COSINE NEGATIVE: YELLOW
COSINE POSITIVE: BLUE
SINE NEGATIVE: BLACK
SINE POSITIVE: RED

EXCITE:POSITIVE (EX): WHITE
EXCITE NEGATIVE (!EX): GREEN

Thx
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

2fast4u wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 am There are several builds that are running the Leaf gearbox in a reverse installation which seems to do fine. Info on how to modify the wiring to be able to do this with original inverter can be found here:
https://www.resolve-ev.com/about-us
Like to 2fast4u says goto

https://www.resolve-ev.com/

product manual page 14 shows resolver swap connection
2fast4u

Post by 2fast4u »

Yes, like I said info is there. But also what I didnt realise, not for the gen 1 EM61 which was what Fogoo actually asked for.
Fiat eBarchetta powered by Leaf
fogoo

Post by fogoo »

Just an FYI for those who may ask the question again later, on the Gen 1 leaf motor (EM61) the resolver wires (inside the motor) you have to swap are the yellow and blue (S2 &S4) and of course 2 of the phase wires (not the 2 outside ones though).
Happy swapping !
Landsi

Post by Landsi »

Also, if using the Zombieverter you should be able to swap forward & reverse direction in config. No need to swap any phases or resolver.

Correct me if I misunderstood - i have not yet tried (but am planning to do just that)
Plan to build someday soon<TM>:

VW T3 Bus
Leaf Motor Stack incl Transaxle
Brat Industries VW Driveshaft Adapters
(Leaf 40kwh Battery incl BMS) Model 3 55 kwh Battery w/ BMS
BMW i3 LIM CCS (or OpenInverter CCS)
Zombieverter VCU
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Landsi wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:51 am Also, if using the Zombieverter you should be able to swap forward & reverse direction in config. No need to swap any phases or resolver.

Correct me if I misunderstood - i have not yet tried (but am planning to do just that)
No there is a firmware limit in the inverter for reverse rotation. This is why phase swap is needed using any CAN VCU like the Zombie or Thunderstruck.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Landsi

Post by Landsi »

Awesome, thx for that!
Plan to build someday soon<TM>:

VW T3 Bus
Leaf Motor Stack incl Transaxle
Brat Industries VW Driveshaft Adapters
(Leaf 40kwh Battery incl BMS) Model 3 55 kwh Battery w/ BMS
BMW i3 LIM CCS (or OpenInverter CCS)
Zombieverter VCU