6 pin signal connector for Elcon HK-J-440/20 charger

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
Europaman

6 pin signal connector for Elcon HK-J-440/20 charger

Post by Europaman »

Hi, I am installing this charger in my Lotus Europa project and have several queries if anybody can help ?

1. The pin marking is rather ambiguous. The 6 pins are marked A to F, but it is not clear which side of the pins the letters are on. I am assuming pin A is at the top, but would be grateful if somebody could confirm this.
2. The actual pins are of a type I have not come across before, and have tubular apertures for the wires to go into, rather than the usual crimpable ones. Should I solder the wires into the tubular apertures or should I crimp them ?
3. The pinout instructions in the manual are rather confusing. Pins A and B are CANL and CANH which is fine, but is pin C, CANGND the same as chassis ground ? Similarly, pin D is 12V+ which is fine, but is pin E which is listed as 12V- also chassis ground, and finally what is pin F, listed as 'Enable'. I think this probably has to receive a 12V signal to allow charging, but again I'd be grateful if somebody could confirm.

Any help much appreciated

Neil Willatt
cherijohnson

Re: 6 pin signal connector for Elcon HK-J-440/20 charger

Post by cherijohnson »

Europaman wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:35 pm Hi, I am installing this charger in my Lotus Europa project and have several queries if anybody can help ?

1. The pin marking is rather ambiguous. The 6 pins are marked A to F, but it is not clear which side of the pins the letters are on. I am assuming pin A is at the top, but would be grateful if somebody could confirm this.
2. The actual pins are of a type I have not come across before, and have tubular apertures for the wires to go into, rather than the usual crimpable ones. Should I solder the wires into the tubular apertures or should I crimp them ?
3. The pinout instructions in the manual are rather confusing. Pins A and B are CANL and CANH which is fine, but is pin C, CANGND the same as chassis ground ? Similarly, pin D is 12V+ which is fine, but is pin E which is listed as 12V- also chassis ground, and finally what is pin F, listed as 'Enable'. I think this probably has to receive a 12V signal to allow charging, but again I'd be grateful if somebody could confirm.

Any help much appreciated

Neil Willattgeometry dash subzero
1. I have no answer.

2. These terminals can be crimped or soldered onto wires. However, crimping is generally preferred as it provides a more secure connection.

3. Pin C (CANGND) is indeed chassis ground. Pin E (12V-) is also chassis ground, and pin F (Enable) should receive a 12V signal to allow charging.
tom91

Re: 6 pin signal connector for Elcon HK-J-440/20 charger

Post by tom91 »

Who sold you the charger?

Yes the top pin is A.

Pin F does not need enable if its a CAN bus charger.

the 12V output is live when AC voltage is applied, same with broadcasting CAN bus.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/