I damaged Tesla motor current Hall sensors

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Peakon28

I damaged Tesla motor current Hall sensors

Post by Peakon28 »

While I was unsoldering the Hall sensors I damaged one pin on both sensors. The problem is very similar to what Damien described in this video at 10:00

I wonder if anyone had similar problem and if anyone has any idea how to fix this? Would it be possible to cut the sensors out and try to solder in the broken leg?
nubster

Re: I damaged Tesla motor current Hall sensors

Post by nubster »

My understanding is that if you didn't destroy the actual sensors and only messed up the legs, then theoretically, you should be able to patch it if you have the skills. It won't be easy, but you could probably trim the legs down, clean up the board, and use a short length of wire or a 4-pin female header to connect them.

There are probably many other ways to "patch" it, but regardless, the drive unit will experience a lot of vibration during use, so be aware of how you do the patch. If there is any chance the legs/wires could bump into each other, I would use some Kapton tape or high temp silicone or something to keep them isolated.

If the sensors came out of the "camel snot," you might want to read these threads on how to re-install them: If the sensors are toast, you'll need to order replacements. They are perpetually on backorder, so be prepared to wait a while.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Me ... G8eQ%3D%3D
Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

Thank yu so much I have found the right sensor on Mouser. Damien came to the rescue. ;-)
ev340

Post by ev340 »

Peakon28 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:30 pm Thank yu so much I have found the right sensor on Mouser. Damien came to the rescue. ;-)
Possibly a little late, but be careful of the orientation within the epoxy. I can’t remember which way round they are now but there is a correct way. The sensor itself has a corner missing from one side.
Make sure what you put in points the same way as what you took out!
Peakon28

Post by Peakon28 »

Thank you for the warning I did check on another post the 45 degrees cut should be facing towards the cable.
nubster

Post by nubster »

ev340 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:07 am Possibly a little late, but be careful of the orientation within the epoxy. I can’t remember which way round they are now but there is a correct way. The sensor itself has a corner missing from one side.
Make sure what you put in points the same way as what you took out!
I think this might be it: viewtopic.php?p=3132#p3132