Renault E-tech PHEV electrified gearbox

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Ruudi S

Renault E-tech PHEV electrified gearbox

Post by Ruudi S »

I put this info here because Nissan Renault and Mitsubishi belong to the same alliance
I work at an Estonian vocational school and teach car electrical systems. Our graduate student who works at a car company brought us this hybrid transmission. I find it very interesting and try to share what I have discovered.
A few years ago we have built an electric buggy at one Erasmus+ project to study EV-s. There we used old forklift motor with its Curtis controller and Nissan Leaf batteries. At that time the most important point for me was that the studying platform should be with safe voltage 72V DC but now that is not so important anymore because students will have high voltage safety lectures anyway. The buggy is driving but it's really heavy 490kg (1080 lbs) and for simplicity it doesn't have differential at rear axle. It drives fine on the grass but on asphalt and at workshop floor it's horrible to turn.

Now that we got this e-tech gearbox for free it would be good opportunity to learn new things and install this on the buggy and start tinkering with openinverter technology. I have gathered some freely available information about it and now need to get factory data circuit diagrams about how to drive the oil pump and how these many sensors work.
IMG_5488.JPG
I post this here because I need some advice on how to start, and wich toyota inverter and board would be good to run this motor. At the moment we cannot spend much on this project so the solutions should be economical.

johu
Site Admin

Re: Renault E-tech PHEV electryfied gearbox

Post by johu »

openinverter tought in school, nice :)

Pick any Prius 2/3 inverter. Gen3 has a bit nicer formfactor, Gen2 might be nicer to work on because taking the cover off does not need all bus bars disconnected.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Ruudi S

Re: Renault E-tech PHEV electrified gearbox

Post by Ruudi S »

Thanks johu for the answer! Ofcourse in school, new generation of car technicians need to be aware what's happening in the EV drivetrains.
Our electric buggy battery is arranged to 20S2P with Nissan Leaf modules right now and that gives us a maximum of 84 Volts fully charged. For using this Renault motor and Toyota inverter I believe we have to reconnect the battery modules to 40S is it worth rebuilding the pack? It's quite a lot of work new busbars and dismantling the whole battery. Maybe try to run this motor with 84V and see if the inverter works for this setup. Then I can also use the charger and DC/DC converter that we already have.
What about Yaris and Auris inverters aren't they any good for this purpose?