DieBieCCS

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
dannybokma

DieBieCCS

Post by dannybokma »

Dear all,

Normally I develop electronics for clients and none of that development will become public, however every now and then a client says; share what you like in order to help others use this technology ( projects derivatives of that ended up open source; like my DieBieMS BMS and Ethercat interface DieBieSlave ). This year I have the luck / opportunity offered by a client who had me make a CCS interface based on the Lumissil PLC modem to also use my experience to create an open variant of it. The project of the client was a CCS EVCC to charge a tender yacht with an on shore / inside a host yacht DC charger, so much similarities!

The project that I intend to realise is more ambitious than I probably should have made it, but hey it's the start of the project and I am still optimistic :) . My careful optimistic estimate for the first prototype to be realised in 6 months. I will vlog the progress here and am open for all the criticism and hints / desires to make it applicable for use in EV conversions. My goal for the interface is to be able to V2G projects to solve energy challenges that are rising everywhere around us, this will require the interface to be able to act as a EVSE and EVCC. Although looking at the CCS might look like only a few wires, the reality of the interfacing is very wiring intensive. With this project I would like to cover everything, from driving all motors and relays to interfacing with the car / BMS to actuating the relays and measuring the voltages and currents.

I made a messy list of all interfacting items that I would like to include on the interface:
  • CCS Interface
    • Proximity Pilot
      • Resistance reading
    • Control Pilot
      • PWM Duty Generation
      • PWM Duty measurement
      • PWM Peak voltage reading
      • Resistive loading system
      • Power line communication
    • Connector locking
      • Motor output
      • Position sensor input
    • Temperature sensing
      • Two channels
    • Connector unlock pushbutton
    • Charge status RGBW Led
  • Vehicle Interface
    • Constant 12V power input
    • OnOffSignals
      • OUT - Connector present
      • OUT - Charging active
      • IN - Central door lock
      • IN - Ignition
    • Data
      • CAN Vehicle
      • ISO SPI Analog devices to go to battery interface
    • Mechanical Charge door actuator
      • Motor output
      • Position sensor input
  • Battery Interface
    • Voltage sensing
      • CCS Connector
      • Battery
    • Current sensing
      • Charge port current
    • Temperature sensing
      • Four channels NTC
    • Contactor control
      • Negative contactor
      • Positive contactor
  • Networking Interface
    • RJ45 Ethernet
    • Single pair Ethernet
    • USB
Over the past months I have been gathering IC's like a hamster contributing to the chip shortage, I gathered about 20 units worth of chips. The following items have been selected in order to cover the above desires. I only mention the noteworthy ones:
  1. one
  2. BTS710404ESAXUMA1 To drive the main contactors
  3. TLP223JD4TP1F To decouple the voltage sensing network from the HV lines when disabled
  4. TPS65131RGER To generate the symmetrical power supply for the PWM generation
  5. MT52L256M32D1PF The memory for the processor below
  6. DRV8876RGTR To drive the locking motor and door lock
  7. ADIN2111BCPZ To talk a modern single pair ethernet way with other devices
  8. LT3507AEUHF Main power supply will accept the continues input power 7 to 18V and generate 5V, 3.3V for the core components and 3.3V for interfacing items.
  9. STM32MP157CAA3 Will run linux for the ISO15118 protocol and ethernet interfacing, and the M4 core will handle the low level realtime items like the motors and LED's + CAN
  10. RTL8201F Ethernet controller
  11. STPMIC1CPQR Will provide the STM32MP1's power rail needs
  12. IS32CG5317 The main PLC Modem
What it looks like to be a hamster:
IMG_20221229_022530.jpg
Pete9008

Re: DieBieCCS

Post by Pete9008 »

Thanks for posting this and for planning to open source it (will that present any issues with the NDA that I assume was required to get the modem data?). An open source CCS solution will have a significant impact!

I'd like to build a home CCS charger (only low current, 3kW, just to avoid the weight of an on board charger) so am very interested in this. If you need any help or are looking for beta test sites please let me know.

One question, the processor looks like a very nice device but I believe it is a BGA package? While difficult to avoid this on devices using external DDR memory it does limit manufacturing options. Does it need such a powerful device, have you considered any other options?
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

One other thought on processors, have you considered something like this? https://www.digikey.com/en/products ... /14636842

Similar bom price but reduces board complexity, reduced layer count and simplifies manufacture?
dannybokma

Post by dannybokma »

Yes there are limitations in the NDA and what can be shared ( and I have to oblige to that NDA ), however the schematic and pcb can be OS.

The level of manufacturability at home greatly depends on the skills and tools, for a long time I avoided making projects with those. From my other project I learned that eventually only very minimal people will assemble the design themselfs by hand, from my experience the highest value is the availability of information and sources to accelerate one's own implementation. I expect the final by an EMS assembled PCB cost to be about the same as the BMS LIM implementation ( with the CAN shunt + voltage sens board included ).

Thanks for pointing out the modules! Using a module would probably be a much wiser and time efficient approach, I also looked at them for a while and requested quotes + schematics and availability. Unfortunately the availability of modules based on the STM32MP1 is limited and none of the affordable ones ( chinese sources ) are willing to share schematics ( nor have stock ). So for now I put my efforts into a from scratch approach.

If you are patient enough and gathered enough youtube courage of manual BGA then it is possible to do BGA with paste and a paint stripper, below are a few project for which I used a temp controlled paint stripper and only tweezers to assemble xD:
ET1100.jpg
TheElement.jpg
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

dannybokma wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:38 pm Yes there are limitations in the NDA and what can be shared ( and I have to oblige to that NDA ), however the schematic and pcb can be OS.
Does that mean the source code will be closed?
dannybokma wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:38 pm The level of manufacturability at home greatly depends on the skills and tools, for a long time I avoided making projects with those. From my other project I learned that eventually only very minimal people will assemble the design themselfs by hand, from my experience the highest value is the availability of information and sources to accelerate one's own implementation. I expect the final by an EMS assembled PCB cost to be about the same as the BMS LIM implementation ( with the CAN shunt + voltage sens board included ).

Thanks for pointing out the modules! Using a module would probably be a much wiser and time efficient approach, I also looked at them for a while and requested quotes + schematics and availability. Unfortunately the availability of modules based on the STM32MP1 is limited and none of the affordable ones ( chinese sources ) are willing to share schematics ( nor have stock ). So for now I put my efforts into a from scratch approach.

If you are patient enough and gathered enough youtube courage of manual BGA then it is possible to do BGA with paste and a paint stripper, below are a few project for which I used a temp controlled paint stripper and only tweezers to assemble xD:
ET1100.jpg
TheElement.jpg
Very nice! takes a fair bit of skill to achieve that. Around a decade ago I worked for a design consultancy that also had its own assembly line and also an xray system for the inspection of BGA reflow so have a reasonable understanding of how careful you need to be to get good results. I've done a fair number of commercial designs with BGAs but would never have the nerve to try and do DIY assembly on one (but then my eyesight and dexterity aren't what they once were, 0603s are about my limit for manual assembly these days!).

The other option that would have been worth considering is a Pi compute module, cheap, well documented and great OS support, but unlikely to be back in stock any time soon.

BTW - I now use a small reflow oven for board assembly, a puhui T-962, bought cheap second hand because it didn't work very well. With the masking tape removed from inside (used as standard to secure the heat insulation :o ) and replaced with kapton and reprogrammed with 3rd party firmware (available online) it's proved to be a fairly reasonable unit.
mackoffgrid

Post by mackoffgrid »

dannybokma

I think it's great that you (and your client) is making this open source (to the extent you're allowed). This is a technically complex project and I will follow intently. I have no relevant experience in PLC modems or stm32MP1 series of processors, but I will try to follow and question and comment.

Pete9008

Nice to see your input. I've also recently bought the puhui T-962 oven. I haven't done all the modifications apart from re-Flashing it.

Not know anything about the stm32MP1 series, looking them up on LCSC
STM32MP157CAA3 is ~ usd 37
STM32MP151AAC3 is ~ usd 8 (800 in stock)

I wonder if the 151 is sufficient ?
(ok I see the 151 does not have CAN ports - geez. maybe an optional SPI CAN port would provide Parts flexibility)
https://github.com/mackelec/SolarUte
meFDCAN Arduino Library 3 FDCAN port stm32G4xx
meCAN Arduino Library 2023 version 2/3 CAN port stm32F0xx, stm32F1xx, stm32F4xx, stm32L4xx
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

mackoffgrid wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:31 am Pete9008

Nice to see your input. I've also recently bought the puhui T-962 oven. I haven't done all the modifications apart from re-Flashing it.
It's not a bad little oven with the mods. Can't remember whether I did the cold junction fix or not but the kapton definitely reduced the burning masking tape smell and the replacement firmware is far, far better. It's worth checking the earth bonding too, seem to remember it wasn't great on mine. I did put my first larger board (150mm x 150mm) through last week and it did struggle a little on one corner; I had to spin it round 180degrees and re-run to get it to reflow. It's been perfect on smaller (100mm x 100mm) boards though, even ones with metal coin cell holders which can be problematic with IR based ovens.
addvalue

Post by addvalue »

dannybokma wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:34 am ***snip***
Over the past months I have been gathering IC's like a hamster contributing to the chip shortage, I gathered about 20 units worth of chips. The following items have been selected in order to cover the above desires. I only mention the noteworthy ones:
  1. one
  2. BTS710404ESAXUMA1 To drive the main contactors
  3. TLP223JD4TP1F To decouple the voltage sensing network from the HV lines when disabled
  4. TPS65131RGER To generate the symmetrical power supply for the PWM generation
  5. MT52L256M32D1PF The memory for the processor below
  6. DRV8876RGTR To drive the locking motor and door lock
  7. ADIN2111BCPZ To talk a modern single pair ethernet way with other devices
  8. LT3507AEUHF Main power supply will accept the continues input power 7 to 18V and generate 5V, 3.3V for the core components and 3.3V for interfacing items.
  9. STM32MP157CAA3 Will run linux for the ISO15118 protocol and ethernet interfacing, and the M4 core will handle the low level realtime items like the motors and LED's + CAN
  10. RTL8201F Ethernet controller
  11. STPMIC1CPQR Will provide the STM32MP1's power rail needs
  12. IS32CG5317 The main PLC Modem
***snip***(
Hello Danny, what a great project, I'd love to see how this could be integrated with the 40kW 3-phase AC HV DC charger I just ordered, do you need any help with testing maybe?

Meanwhile I was going through your component list and found the main contactor driver very interesting:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon- ... 8da7720c85
Could you elaborate a little on that choice and the implementation you have in mind with respect to economizing the contactor coil currents?
Are you planning to implement pwm by the mcu, current control by mcu and driver or won't you use any coil economizing circuitry at all?

My interest comes from a long lingering wish to build a k.i.s.s. four channel, general purpose, economizing contactor driver circuit. Would you still choose this driver for such a contraption, is combination with a simple mcu/dev board perhaps.

Hope to see more of your DieBieCCS project soon, will you provide updates on github?