2012 Camry Inverter AVV50R

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Zechy

2012 Camry Inverter AVV50R

Post by Zechy »

Does anyone have HTM and MTH data for a moving 2012 Camry?

The latest Zombieverter code starts the inverter when I select GS300h. I'm using a Camry G9200-33172 inverter driving a GS450H gearbox.
I changed the code to not get the over temperature on the water temperature.

I can spin MG1 and MG2 but only for about 5 seconds, then the inverter goes to Off state. When I don't request torque it stays on, but as soon as the motors spin, it goes off after a few seconds

Maybe I can figure out what data it needs if I had the HTM logs where torque is requested from the motors
johnspark

Re: 2012 Camry Inverter AVV50R

Post by johnspark »

I have a 2012 Camry on the front lawn with G9200-33172 inverter.I am planning to get codes very shortly.

Was hoping to nail the AC compressor first and already got a lot of data on this, but no idea what the codes mean yet. Nor what the check codes mean. I have gone as far as I can for now.

So perhaps I will move over to the inverter today.
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Ok, so here is the first waveform:

So:

green continuous clock pulse is: 499.8kHz; 2 volts peak to peak.
mustard colour chip select looking signal is: 244 Hz; 2 volts peak to peak
red and blue colour data lines are: volts peak to peak.

All signals have good square waveforms, except the chip select type signal which does not have a sharp rise and fall slope.

So I am confident I am measuring the right wires, and equipment used is faithfully reproducing what the car ECUs see.
I am using a PicoScope 4444 with PicoConnect 442 differential probes, so 1 probe is connected to the + and - of each signal, be that MTH, CLK, REQ, or HTM.

My conclusion is: don't need to open cover of inverter and connect to data lines, can use 4 sets of differential probes instead.
Attachments
InverterAVV50RFirstWaveform.PNG
InverterAVV50RFirstWaveform.PNG (9.62 KiB) Viewed 5334 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

I am starting to get data now. The red serial stream starts at the same time each time, but the blue stream has a bit of jitter in the start signal. So I only have the red stream data to present so far. Not sure if motor serial or generator serial stream at moment. More later as I understand more.

Have taken oscillograms for no generator or motor action; generator action (charging battery) no motor; generator and motor forward (slow); generator and motor reverse (slow). But have to understand the data streams first...

Will eventually get oscillogram with varying inverter temp, voltages etc. And any suggestions.
Attachments
20221228-0002_with_ChipSelectDelayForRedDataCleaned.csv
(19.27 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

So here are HTM waveforms for:
7: Generator Running, Forward Very slowly
6: Generator Running, Reverse Very slowly
5: Generator Running, No motor.

Working on getting rid of jitter effect in synchronising SPI data capture for MTH data strings.

Theses are preliminary results. (lots of numbers)
Attachments
20221229-0005GenRunningNoMotor.csv
(23 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
20221229-0006GenRunningReverseVSlowly.csv
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
20221229-0007GenRunningForwardVSlowly.csv
(23.43 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

Good news. I made a rookie mistake - bad wiring on serial comms.
I can now spin the motors using the Camry inverter.

Initially got a HS temperature error as soon as I started the motors.
TempHS too high.png
(My motor temperatures are way off. Will have take a look at some point)

I cloned Damien's branch: git clone -b DM_Work https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu.git
From the data I captured it looks like the water temperature is only on column 20 so I changed the code to row 472:
temp_inv_water=mth_data[20];

I modified the GS300h profile to run the Camry inverter in this bin file:
stm32_vcu_AVV50R.bin
(47.99 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Great news Zechy. I have the same inverter and Damien's ECU so very pleased to note your success. Perhaps I can help with the temperatures some how.
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

Zechy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:08 am Good news. I made a rookie mistake - bad wiring on serial comms.
I can now spin the motors using the Camry inverter.

Initially got a HS temperature error as soon as I started the motors.
TempHS too high.png
(My motor temperatures are way off. Will have take a look at some point)

I cloned Damien's branch: git clone -b DM_Work https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu.git
From the data I captured it looks like the water temperature is only on column 20 so I changed the code to row 472:
temp_inv_water=mth_data[20];

I modified the GS300h profile to run the Camry inverter in this bin file: stm32_vcu_AVV50R.bin
Hi Zechy, I'm curious as to what was the problem with the serial wiring connection prior to finding the problem? (Asking so that I and possibly others can try not to make similar "rookie" errors in our connections). Cheers mate
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

DkubusEV wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:41 pm Hi Zechy, I'm curious as to what was the problem with the serial wiring connection prior to finding the problem? (Asking so that I and possibly others can try not to make similar "rookie" errors in our connections). Cheers mate
My lesson learned: Take your time and do the wiring and connectors perfectly. It will come back to bite you if you don't.

I didn't have the connectors from the wiring harness, so I had to make up my own.
I ordered the connectors from my local Toyota dealer
Main 90980-12992.jpeg
Resolver 90980-12326.jpeg
But then I didn't have the correct pins/terminals and used what I had. The terminals were too tight and didn't fit properly but looked liked it would work. Motors spinning but then stopped after a few seconds. A few days later when I tried again the motors wouldn't spin at all. Then I realised I had a wiring using.

I redid the main connector and resolver connector with terminals from RapidCables.com.au (https://www.rapidcables.com.au/8100-345 ... .22-0.35mm) and paid careful attention to crimp them as well as I can.

Problem solved.
DkubusEV

Post by DkubusEV »

So perhaps it was either a loose / intermittent connection or a short circuit/intermittent short circuit or a combination of both. Cheers for sharing the details with us all.
1998 Mercedes R170 SLK gs450h project
2003 Smart-Roadster hillclimb EV (DC)zilla2k
1976 Purvis-Eureka EV kit car
2011 Ford focus EV (DC)Soliton1
1990 Daihatsu charade G100 3 door DC conversion.
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

So now I have worked out how to get consistent start messages for both MTH and HTM data streams. MTH data stream still has too many 0s on the end but I can delete them manually until PicoScope can help me. So here is a taste of that.

In other words, I have worked out how to overcome the jitter in the MTH stream and get the correct first word each time. HTM was rock solid so was a piece of cake in comparison.

I guess I could get a heat gun and heat up the inverter to get different temperature readings for the output stream. I have a surface thermometer so can read inverter outside box readings. All for the early new year...
Attachments
20221227-0003_MTH.PNG
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johnspark wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:14 pm So now I have worked out how to get consistent start messages for both MTH and HTM data streams. MTH data stream still has too many 0s on the end but I can delete them manually until PicoScope can help me. So here is a taste of that.

In other words, I have worked out how to overcome the jitter in the MTH stream and get the correct first word each time. HTM was rock solid so was a piece of cake in comparison.

I guess I could get a heat gun and heat up the inverter to get different temperature readings for the output stream. I have a surface thermometer so can read inverter outside box readings. All for the early new year...
Great work!

All the best for 2023
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Well here is some data put together. One excel spreadsheet for the MTH signals and one for the HTM signals. So I have correlated signals for:
Generator ON
Motor OFF
Motor ON forward (slow)
Motor ON backward (slow)

There were a few serial packets that got corrupted so I was able to delete them before correlating against other packets.

There are some data packets that show when these different modes are occurring.

MTH packets are longer than HTM packets.

Tomorrow will get some inverter signals with the inverter very hot, (tomorrow is supposed to get to 36C), so will start here and record temp changing as radiator cools the inverter. Perhaps then we can work out which data byte records inverter temperature...?

[[In the future, will also record against battery voltage, and if I can wangle it, Boost voltage as well as when generator cuts in and out. Might be able to record against RMS current too...]]

Perhaps all of this will be helpful.

Kind regards.
Attachments
20230103-0005-8htm_JPH.csv
(789.45 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
20230103-0005-8MTH_JPH.csv
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Thank you everyone :). Well I am convinced I have collected good data, but I am questioning the serial decoding. Think there should be way more zeros in the serial streams. Checked out this viewtopic.php?t=2289&hilit=hyper+car&start=25.

They say the serial stream is asynchronous, bit like the old RS232 sort of thing.

Anyway, will try to figure this out...
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

I captured some MTH data using Saleae Logic. When I use these settings, the data looks correct:
Saleae Serial Settings.jpg
I get 140 columns for MTH
MTH 140.jpg
Camry Spin MTH.xlsx
Sample Data
(7.11 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

:lol: Thank you Zechy, this works
image.png
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johnspark wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:37 am :lol: Thank you Zechy, this works

image.png
Beautiful!
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Well this is what I get with my MTH data so far. Have looked at it a fair bit, and looked at Damien's software and remembered about temp_inv_water=mth_data[20] from Zechy (thank you).

I have almost as many questions as what I managed to work out (which was'nt much).

Looking forward to any comments, amendments thank you.
Attachments
20230107_MTH_Capture1to6.xlsx
(6.69 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Forgot to say I did testing using the different positions of the gear lever, with brake on. Then slow reverse, then slow forward. All recorded for the different modes with the PicoScope system on a working yellow taxi (with a tired HV battery). PS very happy with RS232 serial decoded stream.
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johnspark wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 am Well this is what I get with my MTH data so far. Have looked at it a fair bit, and looked at Damien's software and remembered about temp_inv_water=mth_data[20] from Zechy (thank you).

I have almost as many questions as what I managed to work out (which was'nt much).

Amazing work!
I'm looking forward to the long weekend to dive into the data. :)
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Awesome Zechy, I will give you the HTM data too then.

Its all a work in progress, please feel free to send questions. I still have the oscilloscope hooked up to the taxi on the front lawn, so can run special tests if that helps.

Please note, the oscilloscope creates 32 sets of waveforms, which includes 24 sets of frames I think it is. I ran waveforms for each position on the gear shift lever. I could not get the car to move very fast because I cannot put it on the street, it is not registered.

I suspect there will be codes if one of the three wires is broken on a motor, or a resolver. These codes would help with fault finding. Won't do this on the taxi, will do with the bench setup.

Keen to learn how to use the HV DC DC converter as well.

My next step is to get the inverter I have on the bench and hook up wires to it. I have a small PMSM Toyota motor with resolver wires to connect as well. So can hopefully run it up. Have to also connect the bits and pieces up on the Zombieverter , so lots to do.
Attachments
20230107_Capture1to6HTM.xlsx
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johnspark wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:21 am Awesome Zechy, I will give you the HTM data too then.

Its all a work in progress, please feel free to send questions. I still have the oscilloscope hooked up to the taxi on the front lawn, so can run special tests if that helps.

Please note, the oscilloscope creates 32 sets of waveforms, which includes 24 sets of frames I think it is. I ran waveforms for each position on the gear shift lever. I could not get the car to move very fast because I cannot put it on the street, it is not registered.

I suspect there will be codes if one of the three wires is broken on a motor, or a resolver. These codes would help with fault finding. Won't do this on the taxi, will do with the bench setup.

Keen to learn how to use the HV DC DC converter as well.

My next step is to get the inverter I have on the bench and hook up wires to it. I have a small PMSM Toyota motor with resolver wires to connect as well. So can hopefully run it up. Have to also connect the bits and pieces up on the Zombieverter , so lots to do.
HTM data looking good. Thanks for capturing.
Torque request are the same as for GS300h

MG1 is on 5,6 and 11,12. The values are always the same.
MG2 is on 31,32 and 37,38. The values are always the same. No dividing by 2
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

johnspark wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:24 am Well this is what I get with my MTH data so far. Have looked at it a fair bit, and looked at Damien's software and remembered about temp_inv_water=mth_data[20] from Zechy (thank you).

The values used on the Zombierverter software work:
  • dc_bus_voltage=(((mth_data[117]|mth_data[118]<<8))/2); //Confirmed by johnspark
  • temp_inv_water=mth_data[20]; //Confirmed by johnspark
  • mg2_speed=mth_data[43]|mth_data[44]<<8; //Confirmed by johnspark
My MG1 is locked to I didn't test mg1_speed.
Zechy

Post by Zechy »

I used these values for torque request:
htm_data[5]=(mg1_torque*-1)&0xFF; //negative is forward
htm_data[6]=((mg1_torque*-1)>>8);
htm_data[11]=htm_data[5];
htm_data[12]=htm_data[6];

//mg2
htm_data[31]=(mg2_torque)&0xFF; //positive is forward
htm_data[32]=((mg2_torque)>>8);
htm_data[37]=htm_data[31];
htm_data[38]=htm_data[32];

This works for me. I get forward and back spinning of the wheels on my E39. I added a Camry option to the attached file if anybody wants to give it a try
CamryOption.png
stm32_vcu_1.1_Camry.bin
(48.86 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Awesome work Zechy :):):), I will use your Camry version for my inverter in my E39 :). Also many thanks for going over this data. Makes me think it was a worthwhile endeavor.