VW Beetle 1303 conversion

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Tomas

VW Beetle 1303 conversion

Post by Tomas »

Hi!

Tomas from Sweden here! This is my first post. I have got a VW 1303 that I will convert to electric. I see no point in using the original gearbox as I want to keep it simple and effective. Of course a Tesla SDU would make a great drivetrain but I have also been looking at the Outlander motor/inverter as it's almost half the price. I know that the motor/inverter is just a small amount of the total but everything adds up. Would it be a clever choice or do you have any other suggestions?
johu
Site Admin

Re: VW Beetle 1303 conversion

Post by johu »

Welcome :)
For a beetle that seems perfect. Already a new beetle on here that runs very well.
Where in Sweden are you? You can enter it in your profile.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Like everything, the choice of motor, inverter, batteries etc depends on your goals and constraints. For budget builds the Outlander is hard to beat, in the UK they're really quite cheap. If you get the outlander inverter, heater, charger and motor, those are really well documented, simple to use and great value for money.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Pete9008

Post by Pete9008 »

I'd agree with all the above, power wise it should be fine in a light car like that. In terms of simplicity in some ways it could be easier to keep the vw gearbox though, no changes would be needed to the engiine mounts and no driveshaft mods needed either.

Not sure what your plans are for batteries but its also worth bearing in mind that to get the best out of an SDU you would need something with higher current capability.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Thank you all for replies! My main goal is to learn how all goes together. I would rather have range than maximum power output. For batteries don't know yet but perhaps 20-30 kWh!? I know opto innovation used BMW batteries but i guess I would be able to fit more modules than they did. Would it be possible to use the outlander charger and dual BMW setup (2x5 modules or 2x6 modules? Haven't really read much yet about charger setup
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

The outlander charger will do 80s (5 BMW modules) or 96s (6 BMW modules) no problem. My more modern Beetle uses outlander charger with 96s (2x4 VW PHEV modules)
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

When you buy an Outlander rear motor try to get the driveshafts as well. It seemed almost impossible to get just the inner cv joints that you need to splice onto the Beetle drive shafts. I finished up keeping the 74 superbug gearbox with an adaptor plate and coupler. The gearbox was rebuilt with just 2nd and 4th - not running yet so I can’t say how successful this will be.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Thank for the heads up @Ctwidle! Here in Sweden it doesn’t seem to be a problem to get the driveshafts or inner cw-joints. Do you have a buildthread?
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Tomas wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:05 pm I know that the motor/inverter is just a small amount of the total but everthing adds up. Would it be a clever choice or do you have any other suggestions?
If you would be keeping the VW gearbox you could also use gen3 Nissan Leaf motor/inverter set. Quite a compact solution as I have seen how others have done it with this setup. I have gen3 Leaf motor/inverter sets for sale at good prices 😊
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Yes I have been looking at the Leaf drivetrain also. But since my Beetle hasn’t been on the road since 1984 I have no clue in what condition the gearbox is in. And rebuild it does cost a lot of money and would probably be a weak point in the drivetrain so I have scrapped that idea.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Not using it might also make it quieter. ICE transmissions can be pretty loud because the engine is louder. Probably the simple reduction gearbox is a tad more efficient also and certainly smaller and lighter.
Still need to verify on Audi once wheel bearings and drive shafts are fixed ;) Touran and Polo are/were pretty noisy which is slightly annoying.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Does it matter from which year the Outlander components come from? Does a charger/dcdc and motor from 2018 work with an inverter from 2015?
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

As far as I know a 2015 inverter will work with a newer motor. I bought as new as posible at a reasonable price, so have motor and inverter from 2019 and charger from 2021. It's worth checking what cables come with the units as buying them separately can add up to a lot. Make sure you get the resolver cable that goes between the motor and inverter as the connectors are no longer available.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Is it the resolver cable that @tom91 sells custom made?
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Rear outlander motor is a great fit, I’m still investigating making some vw drive shaft adapters for it.

I wouldn’t make custom shafts, rather I would turn down the cv joint stub and weld a 90mm flange onto it, so type 1/90mm vw axles bolt up.

Alternatively, i have both adapter plates and drive shaft adapters for matting a leaf into a vw
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Tomas wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:20 am Is it the resolver cable that @tom91 sells custom made?
I can make a resolver cable or a LV(12V can) cable for the Outlander Rear inverter.

Also got solutions for HV cables for the rear inverter and motor.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

I'd try to get rear diff, half-shafts, motor, inverter, heater, DC-DC/charger, cables and maybe even battery from one car. Scrapyard wouldn't be left with much "unsellable" bits and Outlander battery while not the best is certainly enough to get started.
I'd love to see a writeup, should be very neat!
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

I just picked up a 2014 Outlander PHEV at auction as a ‘Repairable write off’. I am currently harvesting as much as I can before disposing of the rest. Its done 200k km so I won’t bother with the ICE or front motor/generator and i haven’t harvested the heater as my home town is just sub tropical.
I already had a rear motor coupled to the original gearbox and by mounting the inverter and charger above them I will be able to reuse all the original cables. Battery modules, split in half, will just fit behind the back seat. The charge cable (AC only) will need a short extension from the original beetle fuel inlet. I know I am putting a load on the rear but I hope eventually to replace the Outlander battery with something a bit more practical. Tom91’s new VCU should take care of the higher level stuff.
I will be updating the build thread ‘Yet another Voltswagen’ with some images shortly.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Got my hands on a Tesla SDU for a very decent price so I bought it, will get a OI drop in board for it. Have to restore the car and update brakes and suspension first before I go any further with conversion
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

In the shop it says "available in one month" but in fact I have two boards still here.
I got the new batch on friday with vcc and gnd plane swapped :( 20 boards of scrap
Romale

Post by Romale »

johu wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:14 pm In the shop it says "available in one month" but in fact I have two boards still here.
I got the new batch on friday with vcc and gnd plane swapped :( 20 boards of scrap
how is this possible? did the Chinese make a mistake in the manufacture?
evil neodymium :twisted: