Possible board geometry issue with PCS v3 + the amp seal connector? (Misaligned mounting holes)

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
jokeitch

Possible board geometry issue with PCS v3 + the amp seal connector? (Misaligned mounting holes)

Post by jokeitch »

Just got a shiny PCS controller board v3 from Damien through the open inverter shop

I believe I got the amp seal connector version of the board because good lord the lead time on the cinch connectors is not ok

I got the amp seal connectors based on the recommended part numbers
770854-1
776163-5
776164-1

....and I immediately noticed a possible big issue

The board connector doesn't actually align with the board. The two locator holes on the side which should correspond with the little clip legs on the connector piece are misaligned, meaning I can't mount the connector without snapping those off. But that does not seem right. Am I missing something? Did the connector possibly get a sneaky design silently?

I took some pics
PXL_20230120_230854022.jpg
PXL_20230120_230847962.jpg
PXL_20230120_230843587.jpg
jokeitch

Re: Possible board geometry issue with PCS v3 + the amp seal connector? (Misaligned mounting holes)

Post by jokeitch »

Correction but also maybe not?
Double checked the pin and connector part numbers from the v3 folder on the GitHub
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... Pinout.pdf

Looks like it's supposed to be 776163-1, not -5
HOWEVER I checked the data sheets on both, specifically the schematics, and they're exactly the same structure and dimensions and everything, in fact they both have the same schematics doc linked, as far as I can tell the only difference is the color?

So I got the wrong connector but also the right one?
muehlpower

Re: Possible board geometry issue with PCS v3 + the amp seal connector? (Misaligned mounting holes)

Post by muehlpower »

the connectors have different codings, i.e. it only fits blue male to blue female, white to white, etc.
the rest is the same.
jokeitch

Post by jokeitch »

:Yeah I discovered that only an hour later, gotta get the black connector now regardless then

However that still leaves the mismatched holes on the board, unsure if I should just snap off the clip piece for the side that doesn't align and let solder hold it in

Was a 3d printed housing for the ampseal version ever completed anyway?
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

Just checked the cad model and foot print on Mouser and it is wrong there ( I am assuming this is where the foot print came from ). But it is so obviously wrong when looking at the layout pdf on Github, I am suprised that it wasn't spotted ealier.
jokeitch

Post by jokeitch »

Ok yeah, just got the correct plug and it's the same issue

I can correct for this by drilling the right side clip hole wider, but still this is a board design issue, I'm not sure the best place to let Damien know though? Just an email ? Make a comment on the GitHub?
PXL_20230124_210833979.jpg
PXL_20230124_210825216.jpg