Rainy San Diego Fried My Gen 2 Charger Logic Board. fixed but need the firmware and registration.

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
7yatna

Rainy San Diego Fried My Gen 2 Charger Logic Board. fixed but need the firmware and registration.

Post by 7yatna »

HI Guys,

long story short, My Classic E beetle while moving Houses over the holidays was parked outside he garage for 12 days in un usual heavy rain for San Diego.

I did my best isolating and water proofing the charger with silicon and things which had worked great for about 6 months.

unfortunate some water found a way to the logic board and shorted the STM uController, and made a hole in the chip.

I debugged and verified the board all is good and new replacement chip is now installed and all the HW is Ok Now.

what i need is the Charger_STM32.hex firmware. commercial as i bough the board from Damien. so I need Firmware To be commercial and registered.

I couldn't find it either on the GitHub, open inverter wiki, the link i found was broken and i think it is the 5 minute use one.

i can now log in to the WIFI module which is the old setup as it used to be, but need the file to flash the new STM32 uController and the registration Pin if still needed to have full control.

@Johannes, @Damien, if you need verification for the order I can privately send you the order number, confirmation and billing screenshots between me and Damien. if Patreon help/Payment required can do that as well you guys are doing big work for us.

I appreciate the help Guys.

Karim
Hammer, Duct tape, WD-40 that`s it :D
1973 Beetle with SDU swap.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Rainy San Diego Fried My Gen 2 Charger Logic Board. fixed but need the firmware and registration.

Post by johu »

I've been promising to publish the firmware on github but still haven't gotten round to it.

You can find sources on my patreon or just use these unlocked bins
Attachments
stm32_charger.hex
(65.97 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
stm32_charger.bin
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
7yatna

Re: Rainy San Diego Fried My Gen 2 Charger Logic Board. fixed but need the firmware and registration.

Post by 7yatna »

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for your prompt replay and files.

i subscribed to the Patreon as well just why not :)

thanks again will report back what's new.

Karim
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

did you conformally coat the board? all boards should be.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:38 am did you conformally coat the board? all boards should be.
what is funny is i didn't coat the board but for the irony i started working as an electrical/mechanical engineer in a conformal coating company.

i just sealed the charger with silcon and made it pretty much proof, only around the AC/ DC big connector was a little tiny spot where excessive rain entered.

will do more redundancy and conformal coat the board.

what do you recommend for coating ? something i can get easily and being effective ?

thanks,
Karim
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I tried to weld alu casing so it can accept regular cable inlets.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... w-charger/
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

arber333 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:04 am I tried to weld alu casing so it can accept regular cable inlets.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... w-charger/
that is pretty dope work,

unfortunately i cant deviate much from my original design and sealant solution, the wires and cable are already embedded in the car and built in a way with zero tolerance to modify now.

i will conformal coat the board and will seal the aluminium case to the body with silicon as i did last time just be extra around the HV wires.

plus will design a 1 way drain in the lowest point ( My charger is setting slanted under the plate that hold the front battery pack. )

i need to upload some pictures for this darn car.

thanks guys.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

7yatna wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:43 am what is funny is i didn't coat the board but for the irony i started working as an electrical/mechanical engineer in a conformal coating company.

i just sealed the charger with silcon and made it pretty much proof, only around the AC/ DC big connector was a little tiny spot where excessive rain entered.

what do you recommend for coating ? something i can get easily and being effective ?
Oh boy that is funny!

I live in one of the wettest places in North America, a coastal town on the west coast for Vancouver island. We are a lot of rain. Every design decision is “ how will water enter and will it pool? Leak? Drip? How will condensation vent? proper Orientation can solve most of the water issues.

I just have a can of silicone conformal coating spray. something I got off digikey.

if water can get it( it dose eventually) can it get out?
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
arber333

Post by arber333 »

7yatna wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:25 am that is pretty dope work,

unfortunately i cant deviate much from my original design and sealant solution, the wires and cable are already embedded in the car and built in a way with zero tolerance to modify now.

i will conformal coat the board and will seal the aluminium case to the body with silicon as i did last time just be extra around the HV wires.

plus will design a 1 way drain in the lowest point ( My charger is setting slanted under the plate that hold the front battery pack. )

i need to upload some pictures for this darn car.

thanks guys.
tnx
I just found out my charger lost coolant somehow and effect is it just cuts out in regular intervals. Its annoying as my car doesnt get charged! I need to find the micro leak as there is no sign of any coolant pool under the car?
What is interesting is that inverter and motor share the same coolant and i just came from a 2h drive and no problems...
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:04 pm Oh boy that is funny!

I live in one of the wettest places in North America, a coastal town on the west coast for Vancouver island. We are a lot of rain. Every design decision is “ how will water enter and will it pool? Leak? Drip? How will condensation vent? proper Orientation can solve most of the water issues.

I just have a can of silicone conformal coating spray. something I got off Digi key.

if water can get it( it dose eventually) can it get out?
Thanks for the insight. I did order silicon conformal coating from Digi key and will insulate the board. finally got the logic board working again, flashing the STM was hard when you don't know.

i found out the hard way that i need a boatloader + firmware images + ST link programmer.

i modified the board and used diffrent programmer but we are all good now.

for the water situation, that is exactly what i was planning. making a one way drain to the outside.

cheers guys, thanks again for all the help.

Karim
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

arber333 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:52 pm tnx
I just found out my charger lost coolant somehow and effect is it just cuts out in regular intervals. Its annoying as my car doesnt get charged! I need to find the micro leak as there is no sign of any coolant pool under the car?
What is interesting is that inverter and motor share the same coolant and i just came from a 2h drive and no problems...
it is mostly not lost coolant as more of bleeding issue. i have the same setup, charger and inverter and motor on the same loop. but the charger was the hardest to bleed and somehow would always get air again inside. until i found a way to make a air bleed locations on the charger.

motor and inverter were always fine.

good luck on the coolant loop and finidng the issue.

karim
arber333

Post by arber333 »

7yatna wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:43 pm it is mostly not lost coolant as more of bleeding issue. i have the same setup, charger and inverter and motor on the same loop. but the charger was the hardest to bleed and somehow would always get air again inside. until i found a way to make a air bleed locations on the charger.

motor and inverter were always fine.

good luck on the coolant loop and finidng the issue.

karim
Yes i got coolant all over me yesterday, DOH! But for now it is done. I will need to think about the future though.
I will have to think about locating additional bleed valve in the back near the charger. That way I could probably bleed it simply by removing the rear seat and turn the bleed valve... Will see...
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

johu wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:19 pm I've been promising to publish the firmware on github but still haven't gotten round to it.

You can find sources on my patreon or just use these unlocked bins
HI Johannes,

i got a situation and im not sure what is wrong.

so I got the board fixed and loaded the firmware. the one from Patreon.

and tried to test the charger before restoring the car to normal. big work as the charger is buried really deep.

everything is connected as it was. but now the charger is reporting "Waitstart"

see the attached picture for all the settings and spot values.

so waiting for what ? i know this firmware is newer than the one was installed before. as i can see there are two new variables i didnt have before " time delay and start delay.

i left them disabled as default but not sure now what is looking for to start charging ?

it is reading the evse, op mode , proximity, pilot but it isn't starting the charge and not clicking to activate the modules. so what im doing wrong or what is missing here.

there is no can control nor coms to the charger. this is basic enable signal and the relay control is by the BMS.
Screenshot_20230113_230011_Chrome.jpg

thanks,
Karim
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

Ok Just a different update.

i went back to the garage and kept fiddling with the parameters. it turns out that timdely needs to have a different number other than the default -1.

i Put 1 and now the charger start charging.

only a completely different issue pops Up.

only charger 2 is enabled/ working

charger 1 and 3 wouldn't come on at all.

i sent the command "set chargerena 7" multiple time but still same case.

i even tried to set along charger 1 and/or 3 but wouldst come on at all

im just seeing check alive flag on them but nothing coming out of them.

i have a very strong feeiling that this revision 1.17 has bunch of errors might need to be verified.
Screenshot_20230113_230011_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230113_235118_Chrome.jpg
thanks,
Karim
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

A quick Update, Bad One :)

@arber333 @johu

so i went in and open the charger and put it in manual mode without AC or HV DC connected. just 12 v and enable signal.

as expected the red LED on the Modules , Module 2 was solid and of course the web interface reporting module 2 data.

Module 1 and 3 which had problems were blinking and on the web interface shows zeros on all the data and the flags are checkAlive.

i probed all the signals enable 1,2,3 and charge act 1,2,3 and the can Bus.

while doing that probing something happened because now module 2 the one was working had joined her sister and all of them now are blinking and showing flag check alive.

so im now sure it is HW issue not software one. i have no idea if it the logic board or the actual modules got screwed.

im arranging with a friend of mine to get another logic board "NEW" from him and hopefully this will fix the issue.

bit for now

for the legends that developed the Firmware.

what does Checkalive flag mean ?

and what signals needed to make this flag go away ?

is it a mix between analog signals ? and can bus handshake ?

the logic board seems working OK. all circuitry are verifed and withing normal numbers.

12vs, 5Vs, 3.3V signals are there. even can bus voltages are 2.7 and 1.3 which seems normal can bus.

any help will be apreicated. i downloaded the Firmware source code and trying to understand the sequencing but for the live of me i cant even find the work of check alive flag

thanks,
Karim
arber333

Post by arber333 »

7yatna wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:41 am .....
the logic board seems working OK. all circuitry are verifed and withing normal numbers.
any help will be apreicated. i downloaded the Firmware source code and trying to understand the sequencing but for the live of me i cant even find the work of check alive flag

thanks,
Karim
I advise you to load the stm arduino code that was ported from DUE just because you can connect to USB easier than reading CAN for which you would require CAN tools..
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... are/Binary
You can load it via ST Link tool.
Much info is on wiki
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... N2_Charger
Then observe DIY gen2 support thread here viewtopic.php?t=78&start=675
You connect via arduino serial monitor (i was successful connecting via serial terminal as well) enter debug mode and observe charger reactions to your commands there.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

arber333 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:28 am I advise you to load the stm arduino code that was ported from DUE just because you can connect to USB easier than reading CAN for which you would require CAN tools..
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... are/Binary
You can load it via ST Link tool.
Much info is on wiki
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... N2_Charger
Then observe DIY gen2 support thread here viewtopic.php?t=78&start=675
You connect via arduino serial monitor (i was successful connecting via serial terminal as well) enter debug mode and observe charger reactions to your commands there.
Hi Arber333,

that was my next step. look into the CAN traffic. I have a good feeling towards that one.

i have Spare CAN transceivers if needed to replace.

thanks for the resources. but i have seen this check alive issue on one post of the support thread, YES i did read the whole thing except got a little lost at the end because of the Firmware development.

hopefully some one has insight and willing to share or i will keep trying at it till i crack it open.

i dont think i hurt the actual modules of the charger. hopefully only the logic board is not behaving.

thanks,
Karim
arber333

Post by arber333 »

7yatna wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:54 pm Hi Arber333,

that was my next step. look into the CAN traffic. I have a good feeling towards that one.

i have Spare CAN transceivers if needed to replace.

thanks for the resources. but i have seen this check alive issue on one post of the support thread, YES i did read the whole thing except got a little lost at the end because of the Firmware development.

hopefully some one has insight and willing to share or i will keep trying at it till i crack it open.

i dont think i hurt the actual modules of the charger. hopefully only the logic board is not behaving.

thanks,
Karim
Well i too think your best bet would be to see if your CAN modules are working.
Each module needs;
- 12V power
- GND
- 3V3 alive signal
- enable open colector signal
- CAN traffic

So if you confirm all the digital signals you can measure via multimeter then all you need to test are CAN bus lines.
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

arber333 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:01 pm Well i too think your best bet would be to see if your CAN modules are working.
Each module needs;
- 12V power
- GND
- 3V3 alive signal
- enable open colector signal
- CAN traffic

So if you confirm all the digital signals you can measure via multimeter then all you need to test are CAN bus lines.
well i have verfied the very first 4 requirements.
- 12V power (Power measured and the LED is coming on)
- GND ( Same like the 12 )
- 3V3 alive signal (Coming from the uController and measured on the connector)
- enable open colector signal ( measured after the buffer Ic2)

CAN ?? ( verified the traces and termination to spec) Just need to hook up a sniffer or oscilliscope to see if there is traffic.

i really think it is can related.

will advise thanks Arber

Karim
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

Another Update,

There is NO Can traffic or what so ever on the lines.

neither when enabled nor when disabled.

maybe I'm measuring CAN traffic wrong ? time for a new Oscilloscope with built in CAN traffic decoder.

any ideas or suggestions ?

thanks,
Karim
7yatna

Post by 7yatna »

SO its been about a week since my last update.

i accepted that my charger is dead so i bought another one of ebay.

delivered and when i opened it up it came from a flooded car. Damn.

i trusted the conformal coating (the alien Goo) from tesla so i cleaned thoroughly with ISo Alcohol.

i plugged my logic board and voila all the modules are on solid red.

then i wen to test with AC in the car.

only module 1 is charging but

all the modules are reporting and working. they can ready AC voltage and DC voltage.

but only module 1 is actually charging. module 2, 3 are not so much.

i thought this is the water damage issue.

so i bought another damn charger. now I'm having 3 chargers. haha between dead and alive but none is working 100%

plugged in the logic board and module 1,2 are working but module 3 is behaving the same as the last charger.

it can communicate and send back data. which verify all enable signals are going + can traffic is working back and forth.

my doubt is the CAN traffic. some frames might be falling or getting dropped.

just to verify.

Can anyone get me the revision of 1.06 that was on my commercial board originally.

I'm using single phase American mains

i know the last revision probably developed on Europe 3 phase so it might not have been verified well on single phase.

i don't have other revision to try.

cant do to an older revision even the free 5 minute one isn't even there on github.

i need a solid revions to verify the HW. both logic board and charger.

anyone can help ? post a link for Firmware.

thanks,
Karim