Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
mdrobnak

Re: Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development

Post by mdrobnak »

Hehe. Life is being a bit of a .... right now, so lots of things in play here, which is partially why I've been absent around here. Still alive. :)
I downloaded the CCS logs but have not looked into them really yet. I'm in a weird state mentally / emotionally so no time frames given at this point. But the project is not dead, I will say that. There's just a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'll do my best to get to this when I can.

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No worries Matt. I know how it goes:)
I'm going to need a hacksaw
JWardell

Post by JWardell »

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone has identified the manufacturer and maybe part number of the first two connectors on the CP ECU.

I know the 3rd 10-pin connector is TE MQS (suspiciously not in their MQS catalog) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE ... 6cTjbpY%3D

I'm working on a...chargeport project... and would love to plug and play cleanly with the real connectors if possible instead of splicing in.
And maybe soon diving into HV CAN too.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Do you mean the ones from the charge port to the ecu?
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Nope, those have been graciously sacrificed by another assembly in my case...

Also, nice to see you here. :) Wouldn't be anywhere without your stuff as a starting point, so thanks.

-Matt
JWardell

Post by JWardell »

I mean the first two of three connectors on the actual CP ECU. They look sumitomo-ish.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:00 pm
Also, nice to see you here. :) Wouldn't be anywhere without your stuff as a starting point, so thanks.

-Matt
+1!! :D
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
bgrigoriu

Post by bgrigoriu »

Hi guys,
I am new o the thread. Very nice work. Thank you for sharing all this. it is really informative.
I am trying to understand all this and trying to build some adapter in order to be able to charge my European TM3 on the chademo chargers.
Still fell that I miss some information here about basic.
CAn you help ?
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

bgrigoriu wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:45 am Hi guys,
I am new o the thread. Very nice work. Thank you for sharing all this. it is really informative.
I am trying to understand all this and trying to build some adapter in order to be able to charge my European TM3 on the chademo chargers.
Still fell that I miss some information here about basic.
CAn you help ?
Those vehicles are going to be CCS cars, and that's very different than CHAdeMO - that's not what we're talking about here in this thread.

I'm not sure of how to do what you're looking for, sorry.

-Matt
bgrigoriu

Post by bgrigoriu »

Hi,
I know that is very diifferent. I am just trying to understand how the charge works on a tesla and find doc for that.
Tesla sells a Chademo adapter for TM3 US and canadian vehicles as well another for the Model S and X.
All these 3 models accept both DC and AC on their Type2/Tesla prorietary chrge connector while European M3's "ask" that the DC come through the bottom CCS part.

It is very simple to build a "dumb" adapter that divert the DC current from the type 2 pins to the bottom CCS pins (while considering that 125A need to pass through).
But this seems much to simple and thus probably false.
I just want to understand how it works.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

bgrigoriu wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:19 pm Hi,
I know that is very diifferent. I am just trying to understand how the charge works on a tesla and find doc for that.
Tesla sells a Chademo adapter for TM3 US and canadian vehicles as well another for the Model S and X.
All these 3 models accept both DC and AC on their Type2/Tesla prorietary chrge connector while European M3's "ask" that the DC come through the bottom CCS part.

It is very simple to build a "dumb" adapter that divert the DC current from the type 2 pins to the bottom CCS pins (while considering that 125A need to pass through).
But this seems much to simple and thus probably false.
I just want to understand how it works.
There's no real documentation - you need to analyze charge session data to determine what is going on.

The US adapter works by converting the information to and from the CHAdeMO charger into a CAN data stream that the car understands. There's also electronics in the adapter used during the DC isolation test. It has it's own microprocessor. It's not a simple adapter. If there's an adapter available for the Model S/X in the EU for CHAdeMO, that should work.

If you have any further thoughts or ideas on how to make this work, please start a new thread on this topic - this thread is for progress on US AC / DC Chademo, and EU AC / DC CCS charging. Thanks!

-Matt
bgrigoriu

Post by bgrigoriu »

Ok thaks
JWardell

Post by JWardell »

Forgot about this thread, but I spent months prying with TE to figure out chargeport ECU connectors.
In the end we determined some of the sockets literally don't exist and we needed to use the actual Tesla molded housing with stuffed pins with our own PCB inside. But if anyone else needs this information, this is what I ended up with.
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.03.17 PM.png
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I just picked up something of interest yesterday.
PXL_20220611_182510936.jpg
My local Tesla Service Center had them in stock, and after waiting for about 35 minutes to have a conversation, I had the part 5 minutes after that. :)

No idea what state it is in at this point, nor if the data is anything similar to what I had last year.

I'm going to retrofit my 2018 Model 3 to be able to do CCS here in the US.

I would imagine capturing a CCS charge session here might help unlock that on a EU CP controller... at least one can hope.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

PXL_20220617_025054984.jpg
No code changes. :D
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:24 am No code changes. :D
8-)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Matt is back in town:) Looks like a happy "T"
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

nkiernan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:27 am
mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:24 am No code changes. :D
8-)
Yep, I was very surprised. Cool indeed. :)
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:22 am Matt is back in town:) Looks like a happy "T"
Yes, I'm trying to get back to the EV stuff with more regularity. The BMW reverse engineering stuff is still giving me some heartburn, but I slowly inch closer to that being correct.

Yes I was able to start an AC charge (or at least make the relay go on the wall plug side...), but no idea if the DC stuff works. Looks like the code on there is happy with either the "2019" or "2020" era data coming in to it. (The length of one message changed).

Honestly I was expecting it to be very angry considering it was the new "Gen 4" CP ECU. Apparently while the insides have changed drastically the data is still the same, which is nice.

My CCS adapter should be arriving around the end of the month (I got the case to go along with it which has delayed the order). I will do the CP ECU retrofit this weekend likely, when I can drive over to the service center to put it in service mode and redeploy the firmware.

-Matt
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sure would be a shame if there was a can logging device on the bus during the firmware upgrade:)
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:44 pm Sure would be a shame if there was a can logging device on the bus during the firmware upgrade:)
Whaaaat? What kind of idea is that? :lol: ;)

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Some good news, some bad news.

Good news: my car should support CCS now. I'm still waiting on my adapter to be shipped from South Korea. I ordered it with the nice carrying case they had, which delayed things. It should be shipping out in the next dew days though.

I drove to the service center and parked in the parking lot, and was able to get the car into service mode. I requested a software reinstall, waited about 3 minutes or so, and then the update icon appeared. I started the update, and it took it about 7 minutes, which is much faster than the normal update process.

Afterwards the car was happy, and an AC charge at home works just fine.

Bad news: the newer firmware does _not_ work with my code. They added a checksum to the HV Software version / Alert, expanded some things, removed others.. and it seems to not like having replayed data fed to it as much anymore..so that's fun.

In the process of working on this I found a bug in my SoC target limit %. Wasn't shifting over enough bits. :)

All of this is suffice to say - I'm going to get this working, but for all intents and purposes the BMW LIM setup is much, much easier. I do appreciate the fact that my Model 3 will be able to charge from AC J1772, AC SWCAN, DC Supercharger, DC ChAdeMO, and DC CCS though. :)

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

...and success.

I'll check on the actual Gen4 CP ECU tomorrow, but the Gen3 one running the same software was very angry as well. Aside from the issues I knew about, it was missing a new message. Value seems static for the moment so, yay? LOL.

Next step before moving forward is to step back and try and decompose these things into the absolute minimum necessary data for the unit to work. Ie make lots of stuff 0s. :)

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I'd call this pretty successful - I updated 9 messages to be all 0x00 or at least 90% 0x00 and AC charging still works. No idea if I broke any DC stuff haha. Thankfully it's all in one commit so it's easy to revert. ;)

On another note...
PXL_20220622_220528627.jpg
I got a datalog for CCS charging from 77% to 80% hehe.

-Matt
JockE28

Post by JockE28 »

Great work being done here :D :D

Any news on the project?
OOP

Post by OOP »

hi

i find your videos and i have:
- tesla model 3 battery long range
- charge port cable (with ccs connector)
- ecu

but i dont have the internal cables and the door with the led.

What i need and whats the pinout to load the battery from the tesla wall connector?