Cooling ideas?

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
86elcamino

Cooling ideas?

Post by 86elcamino »

I'm using a GS450h transmission and inverter, with Chevy Volt batteries, eventually hoping to run 3 sets
I plan on using the original ICE radiator with built in transmission cooler (86 Chevy El Camino) for the transmission oil
I don't know what the correct coolant flow path would be between the various components.
Should they be in parallel, or in series? If in series, what order should they go in?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
PatrcioEV-ATX

Re: Cooling ideas?

Post by PatrcioEV-ATX »

My plan is to cool the inverter and transmission in one loop (inverter then trans) with a small add on radiator and pump that will kick on at a particular temp (not decided just yet). I'll use a small finned transmission cooler in it's own loop with the trans oil pump. The batteries and a combo DCDC/Charger will be in another loop with a pump that kicks on at a preset temp. I want the batteries and charger to be able to cool when charging if needed. I'm no expert, so use that info as you see fit.
1998 Ford ZX2 - DC EV conversion(sold) http://evalbum.com/2093
2012 Nissan Leaf (sold)
2016 Mercedes B250e (sold)
2023 Volvo C40

Current: 1964 Rambler Classic 660 w/ GS450h set up. 36kwh Tesla batteries from B250e.
https://www.instagram.com/rambler_660e/
86elcamino

Post by 86elcamino »

PatrcioEV-ATX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:38 pm My plan is to cool the inverter and transmission in one loop (inverter then trans) with a small add on radiator and pump that will kick on at a particular temp (not decided just yet). I'll use a small finned transmission cooler in it's own loop with the trans oil pump. The batteries and a combo DCDC/Charger will be in another loop with a pump that kicks on at a preset temp. I want the batteries and charger to be able to cool when charging if needed. I'm no expert, so use that info as you see fit.
Does anyone know the ideal temp for these components?
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Inverter shuts down at 125C, ideally you'd want to keep it below 80C.

Shouldn't be too hard to keep both of these close to ambient with a decent electric pump and a car radiator. I used a Pierberg electric pump (from BMW) which is designed for a car engine so flows plenty.
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

86elcamino wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:38 pm I'm using a GS450h transmission and inverter, with Chevy Volt batteries, eventually hoping to run 3 sets
I plan on using the original ICE radiator with built in transmission cooler (86 Chevy El Camino) for the transmission oil
I don't know what the correct coolant flow path would be between the various components.
Should they be in parallel, or in series? If in series, what order should they go in?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
My American muscle brother, I plan on doing the same with my 1971 GMC and was wondering if you found any radiator inlet outlet reducer hoses, I think from what I measured the 'merican radiators are 1.5" and the coolant tubes on the Inverter appear to be 3/4" correct me if I am wrong

and now... more about me:

1971 Chevrolet C10 1/2 ton truck radiator
IMG_0611.JPG

pretty standard 1 1/2" American radiator inlet / outlet
IMG_0615.JPG

Top Tip: cut stubborn hosers length wise and split them open to liberate them from stuck on parts
IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

Lexus GS450h inverter
IMG_5146.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

just some pics to visualize the setup

IMG_6225l.jpg
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

This ebay site may help you Gregski:
image.png