Where to obtain this Tesla SDU part?

Buy and sell
espriev

Where to obtain this Tesla SDU part?

Post by espriev »

Any ideas for somewhere to obtain this? MY SDU arrived with the coolant port broken on one of the inverter plates (they are FRP).
I have not been able to find a yard that will sell one off an SDU.Image
The online parts catalog just shows the entire SDU unit, and the output shaft seals...
Both sides seem to be the same part, just 180'd (that's clever).

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20230106_163202897.jpg
arber333

Re: Where to obtain this Tesla SDU part?

Post by arber333 »

espriev wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:57 pm Any ideas for somewhere to obtain this? MY SDU arrived with the coolant port broken on one of the inverter plates (they are FRP).

Thanks!
Thats tough. If it is just a flat part you could have the other side copied on a suitable mill

If not maybe you could get it copied digitally and then milled or 3d printed from those new ceramic plastic material...
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

espriev wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:57 pm Any ideas for somewhere to obtain this? MY SDU arrived with the coolant port broken on one of the inverter plates (they are FRP).
I have not been able to find a yard that will sell one off an SDU.Image
The online parts catalog just shows the entire SDU unit, and the output shaft seals...

Thanks!
Have you tried a tesla part dept? I know they are 'funny' about some parts - but you could find a VIN from a model S with the same motor.

Failing that I would be looking at fixing the broken part - and then sleeve the glue joint with further reinforcing. Just ensure the hose is mounted so it can't add any force the the plastic port.

example:
https://www.permabond.com/materials_bon ... d-plastic/
"
What is the best adhesive to bond FRP fiber reinforced plastic?
Several types of adhesives bond well. Understanding the desired cure process as well as what the bond will need to endure will help to choose the best adhesive for each FRP bonding application.

Cyanoacrylate – also known as instant adhesives, super glue, crazy glue, ca glue, etc. For bonding FRP fiber reinforced polymer consider a black, toughened grade such as 735 low viscosity or 737 medium viscosity, note Permabond 731 is a clear toughened grade. Often FRP can have a very rough surface, use caution not to exceed the gap fill capacity of the cyanoacrylate.

Single component epoxies – Single component epoxies may not be the best choice as they cure with heat which may exceed the FRP heat rating and often parts are too large to easily put in an oven.

Two component epoxies – Permabond two component epoxies bond FRP.

Structural acrylics – Permabond structural acrylics bond FRP – however if the surface is rough consider a two component mixable grade as opposed to surface activated as the rough surface may create too large of a gap.

Polyurethane adhesives – All Permabond polyurethane adhesives offer high strength, high peel strength, and good impact resistance.
"
espriev

Post by espriev »

That is pretty much where I am at, I have an extra brass hose fitting of the same size with a threaded base and will have a go at drilling & tapping the plate & bonding it in with some JB Weld. I have not tried tapping this size hole in FRP before, as long as it does not crack it should be a suitable repair.
There looks to be enough material there on the plate to work with.
Thanks!