Opel Ampera battery extender

Discussion about components from Ampera/Bolt and the PSA group which owns Opel these days
arber333

Re: Opel Ampera battery extender

Post by arber333 »

I made my setup work again. This time it seems it wont throw a DTC when stopping shortly with both batteries still full.
https://wordpress.com/post/leafdriveblo ... s.com/1910

I am turning contactor ON with DCDC Enable signal.

Edit: Dang! Again i got DTC for "service HV system..." It seems HPCM2 module knows when a second battery is connected. From the fact that energy keeps flowing after main contactor is off. This annoys it and so it signals DTC.
I will try to connect SimpBMS and use it to delay contactor for 2s. Maybe when on start second battery will be off system will calm itself down.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

As this thread is rather important I will move it to the Opel section where it is easier found
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

PatrykS wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm If you would move the current sensor in the main battery to the wire between contactors and junction point of the batteries then current flowing between batteries won't be measured and won't cause any problem to the car.
Hm... i was thinking lately... if i would put the second HV+ cable from the rear battery through current sensor i would get complementary signal from both battery positive lines. Complete picture would remain the same.

But really what got me thinking was your comment on the delay between both contactors. Whatever the action i would need to take care of delaying positive contactor on the trunk battery. That way the OEM battery would be fully turned on. I think 2s should do it.
Ejc1992

Post by Ejc1992 »

for the IGBT can you outline the gate and m4 emitter connections? I see you have the main battery connected on the emitter and the VW cells to the collector (I assume for the passive diode in the IGBT). Are you using the transistor portion at all? it looks like there are connections.
Do not attempt what I am about to do, I am not a professional.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Ejc1992 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:40 pm for the IGBT can you outline the gate and m4 emitter connections? I see you have the main battery connected on the emitter and the VW cells to the collector (I assume for the passive diode in the IGBT). Are you using the transistor portion at all? it looks like there are connections.
NO, transistor GE pins are closed so transistor is open all the time.
IGBT diode is mounted on the positive line in reverse so that only main battery is allowed to see positive terminal of the additional battery.
Also you need to pick an IGBT larger than your max expected current and mouhnt it on some cooling thing. I noticed diode can get really hot.
Ejc1992

Post by Ejc1992 »

Hey Arber,

Ended up getting sometime during the nice weather, I have everything hooked up. I am able to start the car fully charged and drive, however (Usually on regen). Get "Propulsion reduced", battery on screen grays out and the generator kicks on. I pulled codes, I got a P0B11. I read through the thread again and "This" must have been those pesky current DTCs you were seeing. This is why you used a contactor (with a delay) and IGBT. So for testing purposes I placed a removable interconnect in the back up battery. I pulled the connect, started the car, waited like a minute and plugged the connector back in. SUCCESS the car didn't throw errors. I drove about 30 miles (which is the "new" halfway) and stopped. I pulled the interconnect again. plugged in the charger, waited for it to show solid green, then plugged the interconnect in. SUCCESS again. I have an IGBT and contactor already in the car, just testing first before finalizing the installation. I will post an update down the road as I finished. my backup battery is a gen 1 p1.4 chemistry battery from a 2011 volt. I am doing a charge to see how it settles, then balance.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Ejc1992 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:33 pm Hey Arber,

Ended up getting sometime during the nice weather, I have everything hooked up. I am able to start the car fully charged and drive, however (Usually on regen). Get "Propulsion reduced", battery on screen grays out and the generator kicks on. I pulled codes, I got a P0B11. I read through the thread again and "This" must have been those pesky current DTCs you were seeing. This is why you used a contactor (with a delay) and IGBT. So for testing purposes I placed a removable interconnect in the back up battery. I pulled the connect, started the car, waited like a minute and plugged the connector back in. SUCCESS the car didn't throw errors. I drove about 30 miles (which is the "new" halfway) and stopped. I pulled the interconnect again. plugged in the charger, waited for it to show solid green, then plugged the interconnect in. SUCCESS again. I have an IGBT and contactor already in the car, just testing first before finalizing the installation. I will post an update down the road as I finished. my backup battery is a gen 1 p1.4 chemistry battery from a 2011 volt. I am doing a charge to see how it settles, then balance.
Where did you connect the second pack? Directly to battery bolts? I am thinking of laying the hv+ wire through main current sensor. That way bms wont feel any difference. BUT i am not sure what that means for both packs. I suspect in that case i would not even need any igbt and i would just make connection permanent.
Ejc1992

Post by Ejc1992 »

I connected on the battery + & -, so I bypassed the current sensor in the pack. Another american I have been working with went through the pack and current sensor with his pack (just wired the 2nd pack wire through the sensor. By going through the current sensor, the HPCM2 will play nice and an IGBT is not needed.... BUT, (still investigating) the HPCM2 appears to have a hard energy top limit. He has only managed to pull about 14 KWH total (he has 2 Volt batteries now (85-90AH total). His car is cutting over to gas, even though his cells are still at 3.75-3.8V.

Update on my end- I cascaded 4 smart balancers together (4A P2P). It seems to do the trick. My farthest trip so far has been 75 miles (120km). I have a coolant loop installed and I am working on a pump / radiator set-up. Using the standard charger, so it takes awhile.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Ejc1992 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:41 pm I connected on the battery + & -, so I bypassed the current sensor in the pack. Another american I have been working with went through the pack and current sensor with his pack (just wired the 2nd pack wire through the sensor. By going through the current sensor, the HPCM2 will play nice and an IGBT is not needed.... BUT, (still investigating) the HPCM2 appears to have a hard energy top limit. He has only managed to pull about 14 KWH total (he has 2 Volt batteries now (85-90AH total). His car is cutting over to gas, even though his cells are still at 3.75-3.8V.

Update on my end- I cascaded 4 smart balancers together (4A P2P). It seems to do the trick. My farthest trip so far has been 75 miles (120km). I have a coolant loop installed and I am working on a pump / radiator set-up. Using the standard charger, so it takes awhile.
Oh well, i was hoping to extend that range with legitimate information on Km.
Hm... then if i would install Volt II 18kWh battery in place of the old one and simply remake connectors on the BMS then i could get a bit more from e car maybe?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Ejc1992 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:41 pm Update on my end- I cascaded 4 smart balancers together (4A P2P). It seems to do the trick. My farthest trip so far has been 75 miles (120km). I have a coolant loop installed and I am working on a pump / radiator set-up. Using the standard charger, so it takes awhile.
OK what do you use that cascaded balancers for? What trick?
I simply assembled the second battery and connected it to the first one via IGBT regardless of the SOC. Since the diode will block any current backwards charger current will first flow to the second battery then fill up the first one.
I use VW modules as they are easier to manipulate than Volt cells. I use OEM BMS with simpBMS.
brianbri6

Post by brianbri6 »

I started this project also but need to modify the hybrid2 to allow for more battery usage. only can get around 14.5kWh
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwpwGdTuXcx/
Ejc1992

Post by Ejc1992 »

arber333 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:00 pm OK what do you use that cascaded balancers for? What trick?
I simply assembled the second battery and connected it to the first one via IGBT regardless of the SOC. Since the diode will block any current backwards charger current will first flow to the second battery then fill up the first one.
I use VW modules as they are easier to manipulate than Volt cells. I use OEM BMS with simpBMS.
The cascaded balancers so they would balance the entire 2nd pack. I have a weak cell I keep an eye on during runs. The smart balancers allow for convenient review of cells and 4A balancing. I only used volt cells because I found a good deal on them and knew they would fit in the back.