Background Info For using Tesla M3 RDU + Tesla M3 Battery Pack

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
connor016

Background Info For using Tesla M3 RDU + Tesla M3 Battery Pack

Post by connor016 »

First I appreciate all the great info here and the extensive amount of work put into these developments!! It is very impressive the skills brought into this effort.

It can be a little overwhelming for new members (aka me). I am looking for some info that is likely basic for everyone contributing here but isn't apparent to me. I have searched through many of the threads but want to ensure I have a good understanding of the status of developments with the goal of using a Tesla M3 RDU with a M3 Battery Pack + Penthouse. It looks like there are several items needed to do this that I listed below with the hope for corrections of my poor assumptions and I can edit this that may be a good resource for other new members.

1) Tesla SDU drop in logic board: Swaps out control board on SDU and enables control of motor with your own HV battery system with regen capabilities.
Link to purchase: https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=62
Link to support thread (closed): viewtopic.php?t=77
- It was pointed out this is for the Model S/X not M3

2) Tesla Model 3 PCS Controller: Enables the use of the Tesla Power Control System- DCDC charging of 12V system + AC Charging of battery (Single Phase and 3 Phase)
Link to purchase: https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... -3-pcs-con
Link to support thread (closed): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1585

3) Tesla Charger Controllers (Gen2/Gen3): These enable the use of Tesla Chargers for either M3 Packs or your own battery packs. Offered on EVBMW.

4) Tesla BMS "Batman" Breakout Board: Need to pull "Batman" chip off for HV board and then can communicate with BMS.

5) Tesla BMS Controller: EVBMW "coming soon". Replaces 4 above without the not so simple swap of "Batman" chip.

A few questions:
1) What items are necessary for using the RDU + Battery Pack as is with Penthouse if this is even possible at this point? It seems like using 1, 2, and 4 would do it with a controller utilizing the software that has been developed for each. I assume you don't need the HV controller so you can use the "Batman" chip from that.
2) Do you need a Tesla charger or can you just use the PCS controller and single phase power?
3) For bench testing the SDU at low speeds does anyone recommend a benchtop power supply for this? Most that are above 40V are only 5A so I am not sure what the current draw is of the motor at those low speeds.
4) Does anyone know the year or identification with the newer, shorter, standard range plus batteries from the M3? Seems like it is sometime in 21 models?
tom91

Re: Background Info For using Tesla M3 RDU + Tesla M3 Battery Pack

Post by tom91 »

1. NOT the right board.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
tmotion

Post by tmotion »

Question 4. The early SR M3s had shorter battery modules. The later SR M3s (shanghai factory) use a different and less energy dense battery module that is larger compared to the early M3s
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

connor016 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:32 pm A few questions:
1) What items are necessary for using the RDU + Battery Pack as is with Penthouse if this is even possible at this point? It seems like using 1, 2, and 4 would do it with a controller utilizing the software that has been developed for each. I assume you don't need the HV controller so you can use the "Batman" chip from that.
2) Do you need a Tesla charger or can you just use the PCS controller and single phase power?
3) For bench testing the SDU at low speeds does anyone recommend a benchtop power supply for this? Most that are above 40V are only 5A so I am not sure what the current draw is of the motor at those low speeds.
4) Does anyone know the year or identification with the newer, shorter, standard range plus batteries from the M3? Seems like it is sometime in 21 models?
Would be good to go back over the main threads again to get more familiar with the differences and status. Also the wiki pages. Couple of quick comments (think I have my facts correct so far):

1) Currently there isn't an opensource solution for the M3 RDU. There are a couple of very challenging approaches being investigated by forum members and Damien so there should be some options in the future. There are commercial options available separately. The Penthouse/PCS control is available as you say. The Batman chip relates to the BMS, and currently there is no opensource solution to utilise the M3 onboard BMS fully. The Batman project came to a halt and proved some communication was possible, but balancing is not functioning so this option is not viable yet. Possibly something like Orion 2 could be considered

2) The PCS and the PCS controller can provide DC/DC and AC charging as you say. No need for an additional Tesla charger. Not sure where you're located, but PCS variants can come in EU and US variants with related AC connector differences

3) I'm not sure on minimum voltage requirements for bench testing these but I expect something like 4 or 6 12V car batteries in series is one option. A 60V 3A PSU should also get some basic spinning I would think. Works for my GS450H setup

4) I have a 55kWh M3 battery pack from 2019/20 I believe and it has the shorted battery modules

Hope this helps
connor016

Post by connor016 »

tom91 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:51 pm 1. NOT the right board.
What board is correct? I assumed the Tesla board was the most fitting but happy to move it if there is a better forum.
nkiernan wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:35 pm 1) Currently there isn't an opensource solution for the M3 RDU.
I was under the impression that the SDU drop in board is an opensource solution to control the M3 RDU but you have to swap the logic board. I know there are solutions out there such as Ingenext which appears to be the best solution for what I am trying to do but I am more interested in something opensource right now if possible. It sounds like that probably isn't the case though.

Appreciate the clarification on the packs...I had thought the newer SR plus packs were shorter.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

connor016 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:18 pm What board is correct? I assumed the Tesla board was the most fitting but happy to move it if there is a better forum.
As in the pcb board you listed in your point "1." it is for the Small Drive Unit which was found in the model S and X. NOT the M3 drive units and it derivatives.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/