Blown GS450h hybrid inverter repaired (with cheap camry inverter parts)

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Xenith

Blown GS450h hybrid inverter repaired (with cheap camry inverter parts)

Post by Xenith »

a few on here would of seen a post i made on the LS600h inverter thread saying i have repaired my 2006 gs450h inverter using camry inverter parts.
As brought up by Lwerewolf i think it was the Camrys have less igbts .
So not sure if this will give us less out put or drive the ones in there harder .
I also replaced the thermal paste on the heat sync (with krynought grizzly) its what all the overclockers use (in one test i seen the stock thermal past was running a chip at 70c and the krynought held it at 56c and it last longer )
I have now been driving this car most days hard acc off the line ,hard throttle passing from 90kmph and on long trips while monitoring inverter temps all seams well heres a quick how to .
Again all though this makes the car driveable it may have less power (i have not felt it )
For a RHD GS450H u need to buy an inverter out of an 2007-2011 camry (i think this may even work for the LHD but i can not confirm )

Inverter removal from Lwerewolf 
Replacement guide is, roughly:

-Disconnect 12v
-Disconnect battery service plug
-Wait at least 10 min
-Remove the inverter's battery and AC connector cover
-Measure voltage at both terminals there with a voltmeter - should be 0v, can be up to 750v if the smoothing/filtering/DC link/whatever you want to call them capacitors haven't discharged - there are bleeder resistors in place for this to happen, and it should happen way faster than 10 minutes, but don't fool around with this.
-Disconnect everything from the inverter - MG1 & MG2 connectors, battery & AC connectors, wire harness connector, water hoses (make sure you protect all connectors from coolant drops/spillage/spray/etc - especially if you decide not to drain the system beforehand).
-Replace the inverter
-Install water hoses, MG/Battery/AC/Harness connectors
-Install battery service plug
-Connect 12v
-Initialize car (windows & sunroof up & down, all doors open & close, transmission learn, etc) - not really necessary
-Bleed coolant loop (inverter water pump can be run with techstream, alternatively it runs 20sec after car goes in "ready" mode)

That's it, officially
Thanks Lwerewolf u help so many people

What else u will need
At lesst 20g of thermal paste
500lm of toyota coolant(if u dont drain the coolant just remove and temp plug hoses)
1/4 drive 10mm socket ratchet and extension
4mm and a 6mm allen key(i had a 1/4 drive one)
Pliers for the gose clamps (i use 45 degree long nose long handle)
UTV sealant

Now strip the lower half of the camry inverter off by
First removing 2x 10mm bolts on the coolant conection side holding the black plate on
Then pry the black plastic plug out ( dont damage this to much u need it)
Undo the 2x 10mm u see in the hole
Now undo the 4mm allen bolts holding the lower half on
And very cearfully pry the base off (note the 2x dowels i start at the end with the coolant connections at the dowel) remove base

Remove the board with 4x screws and 6x plugs

Now undo the 4x 10mm in the side that hold the two motor/gen cables

Now remove the 6x 10mm bolts (ones with red arrows in pic) holding the motor/gen bus bar connectors and pry the connector and housing off

Now remove the 12x6mm allen screws holding the IGBTs to the inverter body

Now remove the IGTBs and soldered on board (this is all u need from the camry inverter)

Now strip ur GS450H inverter same as above

Remove the board with 4x screws and 6x plugs and keep you need to refit this

Now remove the IGTBs and soldered on board (if u look under the board you will see the blowen IGBTs) and discard

Clean off all the thermal paste off of both inverter and IGBTs

Reapply a very thin layer of thermal paste to the IGBT side (if u leave the paste in a cup of hot water it is easyer to work with)

Now fit the IGTBs and soldered on board from the camry to ur GS450H inverter in the reverse of above

Refit the board out of the GS450H that was held on with 4xscrews and 6x plugs ( if u use the camry one ur car will still drive but it will use the engine more often ICE starting will be more noticeable and it will kick out of reverse if it uses to much power )

Reasamble the lower half of the inverter with UTV sealant
Attachments
20210409_094134.jpg
20210407_155659.jpg
20210128_094508.jpg
20210407_155626.jpg
20210201_175932.jpg
20210209_131214.jpg
20210407_155645.jpg
20210407_165426.jpg
hazelnut

Re: Blown GS450h hybrid inverter repaired (with cheap camry inverter parts)

Post by hazelnut »

I am about to embark on a GS450H inverter repair. So far I have followed the lexus_tech diagnostics using techstream which revealed fuse14 (IGCT No.2) a 7.5A fuse keep blowing. Is this normal for a blown IGBT or do I perhaps have an issue on the logic board ?
-H
hazelnut

Post by hazelnut »

I found an inverter for a Toyota Crown G9200-30070 and put it in my dead GS450h in place of the G9200-30051. It works ! Conclusion then must be the Zombie VCU will work with the G9200-30070 Inverter.
Dxtawise

Post by Dxtawise »

Can this work for RX400/450h?
hostbn

Post by hostbn »

I have a GS450h from 2008 with series invertor G920030061 what is compatible cars? invertor of toyota camry, toyota Crown.
Dxtawise

Post by Dxtawise »

Hi, nice thread. A question for you. Where you marked, does this means that is where the IGBTs are, or you are just pointing at the PCB, where they are mounted?