Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
johu
Site Admin

Re: Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Post by johu »

dadiowe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 pm I will be using the Thunderstruck BMS to keep an "eye" on the charger and hope to be able to charge my 108s VW ID3 to as I understand it the maximum the charger can put out of 420v.
Just be aware the DC/DC converter will stop working at around 400V and resume operation at 390V
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

dadiowe wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 pm Thank you guys for your help. I now have a basic charge system working.

Having re-read my post I can see that I did not make it clear that the pin connections I was unsure of were to the Arduino Due Shield

I will be using the Thunderstruck BMS to keep an "eye" on the charger and hope to be able to charge my 108s VW ID3 to as I understand it the maximum the charger can put out of 420v.
Charger does not have voltage control!
You should use a controler, possibly Arduino DUE, to read charger CAN report and stop charging when preset voltage would be reached.

My connections to DUE were deliberately vague as you could appropriate your own version of controler. Overall I advise you to use one pin as input_pullup for PP sensing to start charging CAN msg when plug is connected. Rest is "Enable" detect while driving, some relay pins for signalling and CAN bus. I advise you to draw your own schematic of charger connection and start from there.

I have tested DCDC and charger at 104S and they do not work above 400Vdc. About the only thing working at 420Vdc is outlander AC compressor. Even the heater will shut down above 396Vdc.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

The bms has voltage control outputs I can use so thats fine. I will probably just run at 96s for now and see what the range is like as a limit of 400v would only allow me to charge to 3.7v per cell on 108s so no advantage. Looks like I may need another charger. Time will tell.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

dadiowe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:01 am I will probably just run at 96s for now and see what the range is like as a limit of 400v would only allow me to charge to 3.7v per cell on 108s so no advantage. Looks like I may need another charger.
I am also running 108S battery. I'm using a Tesla gen3 charger to charge up to ~425v max which is ~3.93v per cell. I'm doing this on purpose to prevent degradation to the cells charging them to full all the time. Besides I don't need to throttle down charge power as cells are approaching full, I charge at full ~17 kw till Tesla charger reaches it's voltage limit. In a Tesla charger (at least mine) battery voltage sensing is arranged in a way that each module reads 2-3 volts lower than the other, so when first module reaches 420v and throttles down, the other 2 keep going till the last one reach it's 420v too, actual battery voltage at that point is around 425v. Let me know if you'd be interested in a gen3 Tesla charger I have for sale. Now if I do need to charge a little higher I'm planning to install CCS fast charging and see if that goes a bit higher.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Thanks m.art.y, I also plan CCS charging but I thought that would only charge to 80%
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Just a quick update on using the Mitsubishi charger properly for the first time.
I have only in the last couple of days plumbed the cooling in my car so yesterday for the first time charged the battery and found a couple of things.

I had a 220R resistor between ground and PP but removing it made no difference. It still charges with it disconnected so for now I have removed it.

I had the sense line and the enable line connected in two different 12V sources and found the battery voltage went up to 15V so instead joined them together and reconnected them directly (via a relay and fuse) to the battery and the voltage dropped to 14.4 which is just about perfect.

Using a Nissan Leaf Granny charger I am charging at 2175kW or around 9A ac and 5A dc. This is pretty slow but for now is fine. Someday in the future I may look for a way to speed up the charging.
I haven't yet implemented an automatic cutoff at 390V - 400V so had to keep an eye on it but the charging was so slow this wasn't an issue. I'll have another go at getting Arber333 software working and will report back if I do.

So far I'm happy that this unit will do the job for now and thanks again to the guys who helped before.
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:07 pm Using a Nissan Leaf Granny charger I am charging at 2175kW or around 9A ac and 5A dc. This is pretty slow but for now is fine. Someday in the future I may look for a way to speed up the charging.
I get the same speed with my Outlander charger and a granny charger. Can get around 8-9A DC when charging from a public charger though.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

LRBen wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:17 am I get the same speed with my Outlander charger and a granny charger. Can get around 8-9A DC when charging from a public charger though.
That's great news thanks. Have you tried it with a 7kW home charger?

And how did you make the PP connection? Like I said it made no difference if I had it connected to ground via a resistor or just floating.
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Alibro wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:26 am That's great news thanks. Have you tried it with a 7kW home charger?

And how did you make the PP connection? Like I said it made no difference if I had it connected to ground via a resistor or just floating.
Only have the granny charger for the moment. I would expect a 7kw wall charger to give the same results as the public chargers though.

PP connection I made with a SIMPcharge module. Which is a bit of a hangover from the original plan to use the Prius inverter to charge. SIMPcharge sends signal to my VCU which then controls the charger when plugged in, it shuts off as soon as that signal has stopped.
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

Not quite the charger but the internal charge cable from the j1772 end of a 2014 Outlander. I’m planning to put the socket behind the original fuel filler inlet for my Beetle conversion. Problem is this is about 2m further from the charger than it was in the Outlander and has a somewhat convoluted system where the main cables are individually screened and are crimped separately to a common earth. I have tried multiple sources and haven’t found anyone who can supply anything similar to the shielded orange with blue/green stripe cables to replace or extend the originals. Its only a 240v 10A system but apparently doesn’t correspond to any known Australian code. So, does it really need individual shielded cables? Should I consider running a slightly larger twin shielded cable if I can fit it in the requisite orange trunk with the PP and CP wires? Suggestions please.
Attachments
D35D0E32-189E-4B63-B042-FA5F8A9A50A2.jpeg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Ctwidle wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:14 am Not quite the charger but the internal charge cable from the j1772 end of a 2014 Outlander. I’m planning to put the socket behind the original fuel filler inlet for my Beetle conversion. Problem is this is about 2m further from the charger than it was in the Outlander and has a somewhat convoluted system where the main cables are individually screened and are crimped separately to a common earth. I have tried multiple sources and haven’t found anyone who can supply anything similar to the shielded orange with blue/green stripe cables to replace or extend the originals. Its only a 240v 10A system but apparently doesn’t correspond to any known Australian code. So, does it really need individual shielded cables? Should I consider running a slightly larger twin shielded cable if I can fit it in the requisite orange trunk with the PP and CP wires? Suggestions please.
Orange is just the color of HV. Are those 240Vac wires? In that case they are shielded because of EMI protection. If nobody at your DMV will fuss about it there is no reason you couldnt use twin shielded cables. But shield must be connected to chassis GND. Other cables are LV and they dont need to be shielded then...
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

Thanks arber, that’s just what I needed to hear. I can pick up some extra shielding, splice in some extra cable and keep the original connectors. It just seemed such an awkward original arrangement. It all has to be inside orange conduit for the ADR (Australian Design Rules) so no one will ever see it.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Hi Guys,
I have keep going over the thread. Sorry if the answer is staring at me.

So.....I want to use it with a 96s pack.

I am I still reading this correct ?

The Charger has no cut off Chargel control when the pack is charged ?
The DCDC is outputting over 14v ?

Thanks
arber333

Post by arber333 »

zippy500 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm Hi Guys,

Thanks
You could use a separate CAN VCU to collect charger DC voltage report and decide to stop or reduce amp flow by changing the CAN command.

On the other hand you can also use DCDC aux voltage report to top up 12V battery if it gets too low.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

zippy500 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm Hi Guys,

Thanks
It charges the 12V battery at approx 14.4V if connected correctly which is perfect for a lead acid battery.
I need a bigger hammer!
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

Does anyone have a charger on their desk and wants to beep out the internal signal connector?
PXL_20230505_164912750_2.jpg
I found out that it's a Hirose GT8E-12DS-HU connector (see catalogue: https://www.hirose.com/de/product/docum ... =D49379_en ), but I still need the pinout since my charger came without the pigtail.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I want to report a sudden change in Outlander charger behaviour in Mazda. Previoisly i could connect and disconnect evse cable and charger would start every Time. Now if I disconnect my Evse cable from the car charger will hang and I would have to reset the LV connector to get it working again.
Anyone noticed similar thing? TNX
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

If I unplug the charger 12V is turned off anyway. I have noticed that I can only cycle CP like 3 times, after that the charger doesn't resume.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:14 am If I unplug the charger 12V is turned off anyway. I have noticed that I can only cycle CP like 3 times, after that the charger doesn't resume.
True, mine will stall even on two attempts.
Now i rewired the DCDC Enable signal and charger 12V power to the same relay, so that they are both active when i start the car or when i plug in to charge. That way both DCDC and Charger also send CAN reports out. I need DCDC active when i charge anyway.
Now charger will cycle whenever i disconnect the car and when i connect it will always start... i will need to test this for a few days at least so i can confirm this works and there are not any anomalies.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

crasbe wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:09 pm Does anyone have a charger on their desk and wants to beep out the internal signal connector?
PXL_20230505_164912750_2.jpg

I found out that it's a Hirose GT8E-12DS-HU connector (see catalogue: https://www.hirose.com/de/product/docum ... =D49379_en ), but I still need the pinout since my charger came without the pigtail.
Isnt there already pinout on wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Mitsubish ... r_DCDC_OBC
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

arber333 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:44 pm Isnt there already pinout on wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Mitsubish ... r_DCDC_OBC
Yes, rstevens81 was so kind to add it to the wiki. I forgot to update the thread :)
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

#AdrianB was asking about the hardware required to get the charger working so here is a photo of my Due with a CAN transceiver hot glued to the top.
IMG_20231020_222341502.jpg
It's just a cheapy from Ebay similar to this
https://ebay.us/zfash3
I need a bigger hammer!
grgumxlm

Post by grgumxlm »

johu wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:28 pm Planning to use one of these in Touran but got worried reading through the thread that it is not possible to output less than 14.4V from the DC/DC. Is that still the state of science? I also wonder what happens if you feed a little higher voltage to the feedback pin, i.e. real voltage+0.4V. Would that make it drop to 14V?
Reason being I have 4 LFP cells as my "12V" battery and don't want them sitting at 3.6V for prolonged time. So 14V would be perfect.
How have you solved this? I also plan to use 4 LFP cells for "12V" but cant find a solution for this point in the wiki https://openinverter.org/wiki/Mitsubish ... r_DCDC_OBC

The even more concerning thing is that the DCDC does not seem to reduce the power. Its way too powerful. I do not want to charge/burn the LFP cells with over 100A. When turned on with actual lead acid battery, it directly deliver at the first second 14,52V and then it drop to about 14,48V.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I made it switching. When current demand dropped below some value I turn it off. Of course that doesn't fix the current peaks. Also connected feedback right to the output stud.
Currently I use lead acid because I damaged the LFP ironically with deep discharge
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

I just noticed that in the V2.01A release notes for the Zombieverter VCU software it says
“Add Mitsubishi Outlander Phev Charger / DCDC. Uses GS450h oil pump pwm output to simulate control pilot pwm when used with a charge interface such as the i3 LIM. Does not interfere with GS450h oil pump pwm during driving.”
(See https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32- ... /tag/2.01A)

I can’t find any further instructions but is this something that could be used together with the due code to control the charger?