E Golf Battery pack

Forum on Volkswagen related hardware, so VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda etc.
jeltop

Re: E Golf Battery pack

Post by jeltop »

arber333 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:57 pm In my opinion you should reconfigure modules from 12S into 16S configuration. That way inverter will work at higher battery potential.
As i have Volt battery 12S with my solar setup i am seeing some adverse behaviour as inverter has 48V minimum for change from utillity.
If i would be able to use higher cell count i could setup for it to move in higher voltage range.
hi
What do you mean? I am a beginner, 12S and 16S what is it exactly?

how can i test if the batteries are still good or dead? because I bought it second hand
I take a 12v car charger and I plug into a module for example, to see if it charges? thank you
thank you
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

jeltop wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:27 am hi
What do you mean? I am a beginner, 12S and 16S what is it exactly?

how can i test if the batteries are still good or dead? because I bought it second hand
I take a 12v car charger and I plug into a module for example, to see if it charges? thank you
thank you
12S is the number of cells in series. 2 or 3P is the number of cells in parallel.
These are lithium ion batteries. Do not use a battery charger designed for lead acid batteries to charge them as it will destroy them.
If you have never used lithium ion batteries before then I'd recommend you do a LOT of studying before going any further or you risk damaging the batteries at best and burning down your house at worst.
I need a bigger hammer!
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

I have a small issue:

Module #8 was bench tested and working as a 10S group CAN module before. I have a screenshot from SimpBMS to verify that.

Yesterday I plugged in CAN modules 5/6/7 and 8
(With the cell interconnect wiring for their respective cell Groups.)

The module #8 is not Sensing/sending voltages from cells 9 and 10. I tested another cell interconnect cable and issue seems to not be between cell taps but in the CAN bus module #8.

All other CAN modules work fine.

I hope the module is not changing its behavior related to other modules sending some ids, since I am re-using the original VW CAN-bus harness. With the enable and can lines running through the other modules.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
boekel

Post by boekel »

JaniK wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 am I have a small issue:

Module #8 was bench tested and working as a 10S group CAN module before. I have a screenshot from SimpBMS to verify that.

Yesterday I plugged in CAN modules 5/6/7 and 8
(With the cell interconnect wiring for their respective cell Groups.)

The module #8 is not Sensing/sending voltages from cells 9 and 10. I tested another cell interconnect cable and issue seems to not be between cell taps but in the CAN bus module #8.

All other CAN modules work fine.

I hope the module is not changing its behavior related to other modules sending some ids, since I am re-using the original VW CAN-bus harness. With the enable and can lines running through the other modules.
that is correct, the old version (Panasonic) was able to sense 12s on all CMU's, the Samsung version cannot sense more cells than originally in the pack.
iirc 3 CMU's are not capable of 12s.