2015 i3 with REX stuck in Park gear - 222C02 error

i3UK

2015 i3 with REX stuck in Park gear - 222C02 error

Post by i3UK »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, found it through a great YouTube channel - Mini Life Crisis, so nice to e-meet you all.

So I am a "lucky" owner of a 2015 i3 with REX which I have recently purchased from not so honest seller, who failed to disclose many things about the car, so long story short the car is stuck the park gear, everything else is working, just can't drive the bloody thing.

I tried everything, disconnecting the HV and 12v batteries, charging the vehicle, however it wouldn't go out of the park gear.

I also happen to have a BMW ISTA software which only found two faults, one for AUC sensor (which should be irrelevant in this case) and the one is 222C02 - Electronic Immobiliser EWS response Implausible, which I think is somehow blocking the start/changing gears.

ISTA is suggesting renewing the EME, which I guess is a fancy word of saying replace the whole EME unit, but I am not sure at this point, especially with all the work required to get the EME unit out, let alone the cost of it.

After further digging I found out that the EME unit currently on the car isn't original and in fact is a 2018 unit, the old unit according to Remington (ECU repairs place in the UK) was completely burned out and the data from the tricore chip wasn't recoverable.

I have been told that without the original coding from the tricore chip it's not possible to code the replacement EME unit to the car and my only option is to get a brand new or "virginised" unit, which are both not cost effective in my case.

After seeing what Johannes and Mini Life Crisis guys have done with their inverters, I am convinced that there's got to be a way to code it and I am hoping that with help from people here I will be able to get the car going again.

Thanks
Scott166

Re: 2015 i3 with REX stuck in Park gear - 222C02 error

Post by Scott166 »

Hi,
I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help with the EME as electronics is not my specialty however if you can gain access to the parking lock it can be removed OR you can activate the motor by supplying 12v to the outer two pins on the plug.
I'm quite happy to send over my old EME board for you to try if that helps as I'm using the open inverter mother board.
Cheers
Scott
Restoring and converting a Classic Mini, I have mad ideas, semi sensible ideas and NO idea if I’ll ever get it done :lol:
Look me up on YouTube https://youtube.com/channel/UCxmP1hLys6Z5tHZpK5mn6eg to see my progress