Tesla Charger alternative firmware

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
RGr

Re: Tesla Charger alternative firmware

Post by RGr »

m.art.y wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:18 pm Hi, all gen3 charger versions will work with this firmware. However none of the gen3 chargers is 22 kw. The one with 2 modules is ~12 kw, the one with 3 modules is ~17kw.
Assuming e.g. 350V-nominal-voltage battery in Tesla X, then charging it at 72A gives 25.2kW, right?
Why ever there is a need to go above 24A (DC output current) per unit, 72A total, to use 22kW total from the grid?

Power consumed from the grid will always be higher than output DC power after conversion, due to inefficiency of the voltage conversion, that's obvious. Are these numbers given above (17kW for 3-module unit) related to DC output, and the AC power is actually close to 22kW, i.e. nominal power for 400V/32A socket?

I'm not fixed on getting exactly 100% of nominally 22kW 3-phase power outlet, just trying to understand where the limit comes from.
Can the output current of 72A DC be safely commanded from 3-unit TESLA GEN3 charger module?
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

RGr wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:04 pm Can the output current of 72A DC be safely commanded from 3-unit TESLA GEN3 charger module?
No, the 72A is AC current, 24A per module. DC current is ~40A total if I remember correctly. I have not tried to ask for more than 24Aac but maybe others have and could confirm if it can go higher?
RGr

Post by RGr »

m.art.y wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:20 pm No, the 72A is AC current, 24A per module. DC current is ~40A total if I remember correctly. I have not tried to ask for more than 24Aac but maybe others have and could confirm if it can go higher?
yes, you are right, I just checked maximum settings in web interface, idclim=45A, iaclim=72A. Thus seems it is even impossible via CAN or web interface (without changes in source code of the firmware) to set/request higher current.

Then the maximum power from the grid is 230V x 24A x 3 = 16,560kW

thank you!
RGr

Post by RGr »

Just updated Gen3 STM32 firmware from 1.06.R to 1.17.R
After this update the process seems to be stuck at "WaitStart" state, even if "timedly" param is set to -1
If I remember correctly this parameter was not present in the previous version of the firmware, perhaps this is related?
Any help or hints would be appreciated!
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

RGr wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:03 pm Just updated Gen3 STM32 firmware from 1.06.R to 1.17.R
After this update the process seems to be stuck at "WaitStart" state, even if "timedly" param is set to -1
If I remember correctly this parameter was not present in the previous version of the firmware, perhaps this is related?
Any help or hints would be appreciated!
Not sure if useful but trying to help:

Maybe its an idea to load the 1.06.R back and make a dump of the config.
And then load 1.17.R again and make a dump too.
And then compare both? with something like winmerge?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
RGr

Post by RGr »

EV_Builder wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:43 pm Not sure if useful but trying to help:

Maybe its an idea to load the 1.06.R back and make a dump of the config.
And then load 1.17.R again and make a dump too.
And then compare both? with something like winmerge?
Thank you for your comments!

This problem was caused by 'timedly' set to '-1', and it was actually discussed in this thread before. It starts properly with this parameter set to 0 (however, someone reported this didn't work for him).

This issue is related to some variable types mixed (int/uint32_t), and I assume it will be fixed in the release to be published on github (viewtopic.php?p=46831#p46831). If not, I can contribute my fix then (after the code is published), as now not sure where to / whom to send it.
RGr

Post by RGr »

Also I haven't seen this info on this forum, so I will share, perhaps it will be useful for someone else modifying Tesla charger Gen3 48A, i.e. containing only 2 ac/dc modules inside: the second channel module mounted in slot #3 is actually a module with CAN id related to module #2 (even if there is a label on the control board next to it saying "phase 3"). Now it is activated and deactivated properly, but one needs to use activate/enable signals for channel #2, as well as 'chargerena' param set accordingly.
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

hi,
i have my tesla gen3 charger running, everything is working perfect. but the only thing is the 5 minut limit, I thought I saw in the past that I could buy a pin in the shop, but I can't find this anymore. I am overlooking something somewhere?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Since I will release the source code soon anyway I won't make you join my patreon (although you still can)

Find unlocked binaries attached
Attachments
stm32_charger.bin
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
stm32_charger.hex
(65.97 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

thanks for the fast replay! the charger is running longer then 5 minutes now. i will be a patreon i appreciate the work you guys put into it
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

good morning,
i have one other question regarding the custom CAN messages. i control the charget via the CANbus and this is working fine. i get the preset 0x108 and 0x109 status messages. now i want a bit more information from the charger, for example the temperature. so i put a custom can mapping: "can tx c2tmp2 272 0 16 1" or "can tx c2tmp2 272 0 8 1" then i get a message on 0x110 but all the 8 bytes are always zero. also if i try for example :"can tx udc 272 0 16 10". it starts to send the message again on 0x110 but also no dato in the payload. Am I missing something or does this function not work in this project?
JockE28

Post by JockE28 »

Thank you Johu for considering release of the source code 😁

Forgive my laziness. But do I understand this correct, you are available to modify charging current on the "fly" via CAN if your BMS has this information and programmable CAN?

Also, this firmware works on all charging boards? Gen2 and 3?
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

i use this firmware with the gen3 charger and it is working perfectly for me. i control it via the canbus, the can messages are mentioned here:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... N2_Charger
and this board:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... /master/V3
as i understand the firmware is the same, but maybe i'm wrong there.
but what i was looking for was if i can get more information out of the charger, for example the temperature. so i can control the cooling and so on.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I finally got around to publishing the charger firmware.
Janosch has added unit tests to it for that finishing touch, thanks very much!

https://github.com/jsphuebner/stm32-teslacharger

Please understand that with this step I completely withdraw from development and support of this firmware and would be happy to find a new maintainer.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
techmaverick

Post by techmaverick »

@Johu,

Johannes you have made an awesome contribution to the community. I am working on a project to use this solution to create low cost ev charger for emerging markets. I have on hand couple of Gen 3 chargers waiting for receiving the order I placed with Damien Maguire.

Couple of specific questions:

1) How far is chademo implementation done in the firmware for "Tesla Gen 3 Charger Controller". Is it possible to connect activate the charge on a regular EV with the help of serial commands to the charger controller?

2) Also I read in the forum that maximum power that people have seen is only 15kw, can the 72amp version go in full capacity upto 28kw?

Count me in a Patron soon and would also look at engaging with you on the project with commercial support !
johu wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:39 am I finally got around to publishing the charger firmware.
Janosch has added unit tests to it for that finishing touch, thanks very much!

https://github.com/jsphuebner/stm32-teslacharger

Please understand that with this step I completely withdraw from development and support of this firmware and would be happy to find a new maintainer.