Prius 2 battery change ???

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
jeltop

Prius 2 battery change ???

Post by jeltop »

Hi
I have Prius 2 and I live in Europe France
I want to use pack battery Golf E lithium to change and upgrade battery Prius 2 and have more miles electric
Do you think it’s possible ? Diificult or no?
Bms of Prius can use lithium battery ?
Thank you
m.art.y

Re: Prius 2 battery change ???

Post by m.art.y »

It is possible, have been done by various people over the years but mostly in the form of adding extra battery. There used to be even some battery extender kits for sale that allowed people to install more battery. I have even read an article about a company who have been offering such a service. Not sure about totally replacing a battery pack in a Prius though this would need some research.
Barrocas

Post by Barrocas »

Hi, I'm new here, typing from Portugal.

I have totaly replaced battery packs in Gen2 and Gen3 Prius before, co-working with a friend, using Li-Ion cells, and also Lifepo4.
It's possible, but some issue arise.
The car ignores the added capacity, since it expect to only have a quite small battery, so it requires more modifications to be able to use the lithium packs.

Main problem was that it's programed to be a hibrid, so it still turned on the gasoline engine everytime more power was needed.

We also needed a dedicated charger.

I now have a Gen2 available at home, and I was wondering what would be possible to do with all the current knowledge available here 🙂

Is it possible to use a stock Gen2 Prius, and mod it to be a better EV, like adding a bigger battery, charging, and maybe modify the hardware/software to run decently in EV mode?
While still keeping the gasoline engine for backup? 🤔

Instead or ripping the guts and combining the parts for some other car, just use the ingredients that appear to exist already in the Prius itself?
turnip73

Post by turnip73 »